PDA

View Full Version : Grey_1 and (NOT) Overclocking a Black Edition CPU

ragejg
09-03-10, 09:35 AM
Here, maybe this will help this thread gain some traction:

http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/0903/injustice-injustice-demotivational-poster-1237530786.jpg

:D

Ok Grey... your sig.

It states that you have a Black Edition processor.

Did you think the black Edition would somehow give your PC and OS a piano black sheen or something, is that why you bought it?

Those things are MADE for overclocking!

It's a shame to see a CPU with such potential being wasted like this! It's like an P4EE running Win3.1!!

I demand teh justice!!!11

(crazy)

I kid.

Kinda.

I do want to hear your reasoning on this, though.

grey_1
09-03-10, 10:00 AM
:rofl

Those girls are my daughters and nieces age...I can gain no traction from that :lol: Good try though, they are beautiful. :D

Main reason is cool and quiet as possible on air cooling. I've thought about going to water again..the cooling + silence is awesome, but just choose to stay on air for now.

This chip will do 4Ghz easy (3.8 on multi alone) but I figure as long as it's doing what I need it too, nearly silently, then I'll save the overclock for a future "free" upgrade.

Agreed 100% too, these chips are fantastic, very happy with it. :)

Current cooling though -

CPU - CM Hyper212 with CM 120mm case fan
120mm exhaust - Antec red LED set on low
Antec 200mm side intake set on low
CM 120mm mounted on the bottom as intake
CM 140mm front intake
CM 120mm front intake
CM 230mm top exhaust on low (7v resistor)

I do plan on doing some overclocking for benches when I have the time, just to see what difference it would make as far as feeding a GTX 480.

ragejg
09-03-10, 10:08 AM
Right on. :)

I just got an x6 1055t, and I feel like I pretty much HAVE to overclock it to make it any faster than my x3 @ 3.5 setup.

grey_1
09-03-10, 10:14 AM
Right on. :)

I just got an x6 1055t, and I feel like I pretty much HAVE to overclock it to make it any faster than my x3 @ 3.5 setup.

Oh sweet! I think a hex a core is going to be my next upgrade. I did read that the 1055s will need to be overclocked to actually see large increases, but also that when overclocked they are fast as heck.

Now I'm a little jealous..thanks.

:p

Bearclaw
09-03-10, 10:20 AM
I had a 965BE last year. AWESOME chip. :thumbsup:

ragejg
09-03-10, 10:20 AM
You've got me on the PSU, though; my Antec Earthwatts 650's best days might be behind it. I still have to get some DDR3 for my MSI mATX AM3 board (with a heatpiped MOSFET/NB area), and am waiting for a couple 250 Caviar Blues to arrive ($50 for some RAID 0 goodness = win, though definitely not as cool as a nice SSD).... and then I'll be set for at least a little while. :p Hopefully I can get 3.6 or a little higher out of that x6.

Oh yeah and a Scythe Mugen II. I'll be grabbing one of those shortly to replace my old Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64. :)

Redeemed
09-03-10, 05:57 PM
:lol:

Would it urk you, rage, if I told you my i7 920 was stock? :D Think Turbo mode is even disabled. :D

Same reason as Grey's. Cool as possible, silent as possible. And chip is ultra fast as is, overclocking would yield me no noticeable gains at this point.

grey_1
09-03-10, 06:56 PM
:lol:

Would it urk you, rage, if I told you my i7 920 was stock? :D Think Turbo mode is even disabled. :D

Same reason as Grey's. Cool as possible, silent as possible. And chip is ultra fast as is, overclocking would yield me no noticeable gains at this point.

Really? Or do you mean noticeable as in what your eye can detect? If that's the case, then yes - I do agree with you.

grey_1
09-03-10, 07:00 PM
You've got me on the PSU, though; my Antec Earthwatts 650's best days might be behind it. I still have to get some DDR3 for my MSI mATX AM3 board (with a heatpiped MOSFET/NB area), and am waiting for a couple 250 Caviar Blues to arrive ($50 for some RAID 0 goodness = win, though definitely not as cool as a nice SSD).... and then I'll be set for at least a little while. :p Hopefully I can get 3.6 or a little higher out of that x6.

Oh yeah and a Scythe Mugen II. I'll be grabbing one of those shortly to replace my old Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 64. :)

I had a really bad run with Antec PSUs a while back - like 3 DOA in a 2 month period and another died about 2 months after I got it, my brother's also went belly up about a half a year after his rig was built. I think, not sure, but think it was the Earthwatts 650 also.

I'm using Silverstone and the Corsair in my sig, so far with specs in my sig it doesn't seem to have broken a sweat yet. Hopefully it has some good longevity to it.

Bearclaw
09-03-10, 07:03 PM
Corsair brand FTW. They are one hell of a company.

methimpikehoses
09-04-10, 12:32 AM
i agree, i have had nothing but success with my corsair products.

Redeemed
09-04-10, 01:10 AM
Really? Or do you mean noticeable as in what your eye can detect? If that's the case, then yes - I do agree with you.

Precisely. Sure, in benchmark and games w/ fraps running I'd notice a difference... but that's the only way. Just gaming and day to day use I'd see no tangible boost. :)

Viral
09-04-10, 02:42 AM
Precisely. Sure, in benchmark and games w/ fraps running I'd notice a difference... but that's the only way. Just gaming and day to day use I'd see no tangible boost. :)

Same here. Bout time I updated my sig I think. My stance on overclocking may return once I get some new games.. I hear SC2 doesn't like core2 quads at low frequencies.

crainger
09-04-10, 02:59 AM
i agree, i have had nothing but success with my corsair products.

Their cross shipping warranties are great also, not that I've ever had to make use of it.

batterbrain101
09-12-10, 12:18 AM
I have a Corsair HX750 Silver certified PSU, it run reallly cool and I'm OC'ed and runnng SLI'ed GTX 260's. Corsair has always been great in all systems that I've built. The HX series of PSU's is bulletproof IMO.