PDA

View Full Version : Amnesia: The Dark Descent Demo

BioHazZarD
09-03-10, 10:41 AM
Frictional Games has released a playable demo for Amnesia: The Dark Descent, giving you the chance to try out the adventure game previously known as Unknown and scheduled to launch on September 8th, 2010. The game is set in the late 18th century and features a thrill-ride through the depths of madness and explore the dark side of the human emotions. Amnesia: The Dark Descent will be available for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux - a new gameplay movie is also mirrored.

http://www.gamershell.com/download_63078.shtml

|MaguS|
09-03-10, 11:30 AM
Nice!

logan
09-03-10, 12:23 PM
I just watched the teaser trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M627-obxNzg) on Youtube. Looks scary. D:

LT.Schaffer
09-03-10, 12:35 PM
Just played and finished the demo.

Reminds me alot of Penumbra:D

it's going on my wishlist for sure.

logan
09-03-10, 01:36 PM
I just finished too. Pretty freaky.

LT.Schaffer
09-03-10, 02:18 PM
i thought it was a cool idea to be able to throw objects in the water to distract the attacker.

i was jumping from box to box then found some books and started tossing them and it went after them instead of me:D

logan
09-03-10, 03:06 PM
That spot game me a hard time..

I don't remember it going after books though. I was playing with the handle in that room for a while before I moved further into the map. I thought it might lower the water or distract the monster, but neither happened. After the noise from the lever stopped I moved out into the hallway and got to the door, then I had to go all the way back to the lever. :) The human chunks helped alot in the next area.

I had problems with the map before that too. It took me a while to figure out I had to move the boxes and crawl through the hole in the wall.

I'm not very good at these types of puzzle games or games that are scary. :P

It's pretty tiny... 160MB demo and the website says the whole game is just a 3GB download.

logan
09-03-10, 03:14 PM
It looks pretty good too and the requirements aren't much: 2.0 GHz processor, 2048 MB RAM, Radeon HD/GeForce 6. I could probably even play this on my old junker of a desktop at work.

Viral
09-03-10, 11:00 PM
Graphics are dated but still good in some ways. I like the game though, very atmospheric and properly scary! Very fresh approach, I'll have to check out the full version.

HiCZoK4
09-04-10, 01:57 AM
Frictional games is great. Good news that they are expanding their penumbra style horror games library! dling the demo

HiCZoK4
09-04-10, 02:44 AM
Ok. tried it. Seems very good. Very similar to penumbra imo. But thats a good thing.

BUT i have weird problem with framerate. The game works butter 60fps (slmost no matter what setting) but when I go to my inventory and back(or refill lamp etc) then it is crippling around 20 ;/ I tried turning off some settings but its always crippling after I use hud interface elements. WTF

dikinher
09-04-10, 03:42 AM
The number of samples of SSAO in this game kills your FPS; it's a slide show. It sucks that it doesn't take advantage of SLI. It only uses one of my GPUs. I have to play the game with 16 samples and even then the game isn't smooth. I mean damn, it's more demanding than Crysis and Metro 2033.

HiCZoK4
09-04-10, 04:11 AM
not really. I turned ssao off and my fps dies after I go and exit my inventory or menu.

dikinher
09-04-10, 04:49 AM
I was describing the issue I have with this game. Depending on how high i have the SSAO sample in this game, it kills my PC; it's a slide show.

Viral
09-04-10, 04:53 AM
I turned the SSAO samples all the way up and it seemed a little unresponsive at first but was fine shortly after. I'm not sure if it was just the mouse response or vsync or something. Maybe it was running slow in parts?

wysiwyg
09-04-10, 10:43 AM
no idea what im meant to be doing with the water monster area

on another note, STALKER was more scary than this!

Skinner
09-04-10, 11:40 AM
The number of samples of SSAO in this game kills your FPS; it's a slide show. It sucks that it doesn't take advantage of SLI. It only uses one of my GPUs. I have to play the game with 16 samples and even then the game isn't smooth. I mean damn, it's more demanding than Crysis and Metro 2033.

Yes there seems no SLI profile ATM. SSAO indeed is demanding.

Viral
09-04-10, 10:33 PM
no idea what im meant to be doing with the water monster area

on another note, STALKER was more scary than this!

It's not that hard.... SPOILER! Go into the room with the lever at the back wall and pull it up. Jump from box to box, you may need to sprint jump to make some while others youll have to get in the water for a short time. Carrying around a book or something and throwing it in the opposite direction will make the monster slowly walk over to it. This helps but isn't even necessary really. Once you get in the room behind the gate there are body parts around which you can throw to distract the monster. Once it starts eating them you are free to open the next gate (takes some time) until it is done.

The part I found scary was when you get into the cellar room with the huge kegs and that monster walks past slowly in the next room and your character freaks out. I think I picked up a hammer to throw as a weapon but knew it wouldnt do good. I love the whole idea of having to stay out of darkness and avoiding looking at unsettling events (like the monster) for too long. It got bloody scary when I ran out of oil in my lantern and had to find a flint to light a near by torch. I guess if something had come at me then it would have been a lot worse... maybe in the full game that sort of thing will happen.

MaXThReAT
09-08-10, 03:29 PM
I almost forgot this was out today. Anyone else getting it?

LT.Schaffer
09-08-10, 03:34 PM
I'll be buying it on Thursday (nana2)

MaXThReAT
09-09-10, 02:48 PM
10/10 so far I just love games of this type. You can really get into the atmospheric gameplay and suspense, sneaking around peaking around corners and then running for your freakin life. Great game.

a12ctic
09-10-10, 10:27 PM
10/10 so far I just love games of this type. You can really get into the atmospheric gameplay and suspense, sneaking around peaking around corners and then running for your freakin life. Great game.

True story, this game is amazing. It really plays with your mind. Stalker is a great game, but its a legit FPS. This game ****s with you and scares you. Read all the notes, act like a person, you get into it. It feels more real than any game I've ever played tbh.