PDA

View Full Version : Please list BEST strengths (and games) for GF2ti

ragejg
07-27-03, 11:52 AM
YES, I know, it's an older card...

BUT...

I happen to have a couple of these which will be thrown into TBird 1.4 and XP2000 systems...

I've had a lotta fun with this generation of card, as IMO they are quite powerful, even now...

I am pretty much aware of what generation of games run GREAT with this card... BUT I'd like some feeedback from the rest of you here...

...Like WHAT games did you have the MOST fun playing with this card??

(I suppose this discussion could also include GF2 GTS/Pro/Ultra... and sadly enuff :rolleyes: :D I'd like to EXCLUDE the GF4MX from this discussion, as I feel the 64bit memory models which filtered thru the market muddle the general opinion/creates confusion of actual card strengths/abilities)

good examples:

My friend Scott has a sweet 19" monitor with his 512mb SDRAM/Xp2000/GF2ti setup, and has great fun @ 1280x1024 in games like RTCW, Alien vs Predator 2, and Civ3...

hmm, are there any NEW-ish games that run SUPRISINGLY well on these cards??

so, gimme some feedback peeps...

Remember, I'm looking for personal impressions, not "go look for reviews, d00d"... ;)

:)

Kev1
07-27-03, 12:17 PM
I have 2 Visiontek GF2 GTS's sitting around. Well, actually one is in my backup computer. I know the GF2 will play any Q3 engine based game excellently. Also played HL, Q2, and I think I played Tribes 2 pretty well on it.

I used the GF2 GTS in a system using a 1.2 ghz TBird, MSI K7T Turbo-R mobo, 256 megs Mushkin Rev3 PC150 SDRAM. Still have this same system working great today as my Dads computer, just that it has GF3 now :)

Oh, my backup computer is a 450 mhz P2, Asus P2BF mobo, 128 megs Rev2 Mushkin Ram, and GF2 GTS. When I play Q3 on it, I can't tell difference between it and my current system amazingly enough :)

Not sure what newer games would play well on it. Pretty sure MOHAA and MOHSH should be ok. I think NFSHP2 might be ok too. I think with GF2 GTS the best thing is not to install DirectX9 (Use DirectX 7 or 8), and use an earlier detonator driver, like something in the 30 series maybe.

The GF2 series are still very good cards that play lots of games amazingly well :thumbsup:

ragejg
07-27-03, 12:48 PM
triliner filtering (on GF2/GF3/GF4ti) is only properly executed with 40 series dets AFAIK... so I've heard, but may be misinformed....

CaptNKILL
07-27-03, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
triliner filtering (on GF2/GF3/GF4ti) is only properly executed with 40 series dets AFAIK... so I've heard, but may be misinformed....
I think you were misinformed.:thumbsup:

Ive been using trilinear filtering (and noticing it) for years. Its always worked fine UNTIL the 4x.x series of drivers. More specificly the 44.03 and higher.

ragejg
07-27-03, 02:00 PM
ehh... yess... um...

I looked up a little more on that topic... and it seems that the filtering mode switched to ADAPTIVE with the 40 series... which may be causing what some deem as problems... so the true, un-screwed with trilinear is in the 30.82's... I see...

thx...:)

digitalwanderer
07-27-03, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
ehh... yess... um...

I looked up a little more on that topic... and it seems that the filtering mode switched to ADAPTIVE with the 40 series... which may be causing what some deem as problems... so the true, un-screwed with trilinear is in the 30.82's... I see...

thx...:)
I found the 30.82's to be the best for my GF2 & GF3, but I liked the newer sets on me GF4. :)

GlowStick
07-27-03, 02:07 PM
Best games for gf2 series is

Quake 2/3
Half Life
Serious Sam:TFE, TSE
Tribes
Heavy Metal FAKK2

???

?

cougheverquest : )

ragejg
07-29-03, 09:15 AM
when OC'ed, these cards make good higher-rez/no AA/AF cards...

...IMO...

Wouldn't you agree?

btw by higher rez I mean 1280x1024, not 16x12 ;)

ragejg
07-29-03, 09:17 AM
SOF2 runs great on these cards as well, I forgot to mention that...