PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty Black Ops -Black Ops - Dedicated Servers Come With a Catch

K007
09-10-10, 11:07 PM
http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1119736p1.html

dikinher
09-11-10, 01:11 AM
While I think this is kind of lame, nothing could be worst than P2P hosting and IWnet.

mojoman0
09-11-10, 01:23 AM
guess this is to prevent rank hacking. bet it will happen anyway

K007
09-11-10, 01:46 AM
mw2 had a local type profile system on release...

they should be having a similar profile system to blizzards b.net

FlakMagnet
09-11-10, 07:25 AM
So does this mean LAN play is not supported? Was really hoping LAN would be possible :(

Think I just found the answer... Which is 'No' :(. So me and my buddies can't play THIS CoD either for our LAN gaming days... very sad.

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/LAN-PC-Black-Ops

nutcrackr
09-11-10, 08:13 AM
Its basically like the Battlefield system only from what I can tell they are only using ONE server provider, not hundreds of validated ISPs across the world.

Better than P2P, at least clans can host a server and control it to some extent. It's basically going to generate some funds for them as well although I would have preferred a broader range of approved servers.

K007
09-11-10, 08:41 AM
So does this mean LAN play is not supported? Was really hoping LAN would be possible :(

Think I just found the answer... Which is 'No' :(. So me and my buddies can't play THIS CoD either for our LAN gaming days... very sad.

http://www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/LAN-PC-Black-Ops

LAN?...

I haven't played LAN style games in a loong time....most of the time we would have access to the net, and be playing online on servers together...

At the sametime i don't understand why they can't implement LAN...maybe IW took the code out completely on MW2?.....

FlakMagnet
09-11-10, 10:46 AM
LAN?...

I haven't played LAN style games in a loong time....most of the time we would have access to the net, and be playing online on servers together...

At the sametime i don't understand why they can't implement LAN...maybe IW took the code out completely on MW2?.....

Myself and about 6 or 7 others get together about 2 or 3 times a year for a LAN gaming day at a collegues house. It's a bit of a social event really, but we spend about 12 hours gaming (BBQ or Pizza and some beers interrupt the gaming briefly). Mostly we do play online during non-gaming days, but it's rare to get all of us playing at once.

At the moment we play CoD:WaW, some UT3, TF2, L4D and maybe some others. But it would be nice to be able to play the newer FPS titles on LAN as we're getting a bit bored of the same ones all the time. We can't play MW2 or BC2, and it now looks as if we won't be able to play the new CoD either :(

ViN86
09-11-10, 12:21 PM
Please quote the article in the OP. It's so ****ing annoying having to follow the links all the time. Quote that so we don't have to wade through pounds of **** to get wtf we want to know. </rant>

Call of Duty: Black Ops for PC will ship with dedicated server support this November, but there's a catch if you want to run your own server.

Activision and Treyarch studios announced GameServers.com will be the exclusive dedicated server provider when the game launches.

"We are extremely excited about this unprecedented relationship with Activision to offer dedicated servers exclusively for Black Ops", said GameServers CEO David Aninowsky. "We are placing a great amount of pressure on ourselves to ensure that we exceed any and all expectations."

According to GameServers' pre-order page, ranked servers will cost $14.95 a month for an 18 max player limit. Discounts are offered for monthly prepays. Unranked servers will cost $0.99 a month per player up to maximum of 24. Teamspeak support will have an additional fee. Discounts will be offered for a 3, 6, and 12 month prepay.

Treyarch Community Manager Josh Olin said this partnership will provide high-quality private servers at an affordable rate for the game and re-emphasized Treyarch-hosted dedicated servers will remain free.

"If players want to run a dedicated Ranked or Unranked server on the PC, they will have to rent one through GameServers," Olin told IGN. "Treyarch will be providing a fleet of 'Day-1 Servers' (through GameServers) which will be up and operational on November 9th.

"Nobody will have to rent a dedicated server through GameServers in order to play the game," says Olin. "But for anybody who wants to run their own server, it will be run from GameServers.com."

Olin added that this partnership adds the advantage of much more effective anti-cheating and hacking moderation.

"If you rent a server, you will still have the ability to Kick, Ban, and Configure it the way you see fit," Olin added. "Of course Ranked servers will have some set configurations that can't be messed with; but you will still have the power to administrate your servers as a customer of GameServers."

Call of Duty: Black Ops ships for PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3 on November 9.

What's the catch? You have to buy the dedicated server? The exact same thing was done with BF:BC2. And BC2 costs $1.25 per player slot for ranked. I have no problem with any of this.

I thought the best part about LAN's was just gaming against people while they were next to you. So each person throw in a dollar and rent a private dedicated server for the month. Are you really going to complain about 99 cents?

bacon12
09-11-10, 12:50 PM
Myself and about 6 or 7 others get together about 2 or 3 times a year for a LAN gaming day at a collegues house. It's a bit of a social event really, but we spend about 12 hours gaming (BBQ or Pizza and some beers interrupt the gaming briefly). Mostly we do play online during non-gaming days, but it's rare to get all of us playing at once.

At the moment we play CoD:WaW, some UT3, TF2, L4D and maybe some others. But it would be nice to be able to play the newer FPS titles on LAN as we're getting a bit bored of the same ones all the time. We can't play MW2 or BC2, and it now looks as if we won't be able to play the new CoD either :(

If there is still a matchmaking system like iwnet which I have heard there is then you may be able to host a private game and only those you invite through steam can join. So lan play may not be out.

Also Vin on a lan if you didn't have a really fast connection enough players could choke the connection to an outside server and make it unplayable. I don't mind game servers and all our clan servers are there. I just hope this doesn't change their policies and they don't oversell their servers.

mojoman0
09-11-10, 01:36 PM
so this prolly means no zombie mode?

bob saget
09-11-10, 02:03 PM
COD is dead to me. They have to pretty much make the best FPS ever to have me as a customer.

ViN86
09-11-10, 05:38 PM
If there is still a matchmaking system like iwnet which I have heard there is then you may be able to host a private game and only those you invite through steam can join. So lan play may not be out.

Also Vin on a lan if you didn't have a really fast connection enough players could choke the connection to an outside server and make it unplayable. I don't mind game servers and all our clan servers are there. I just hope this doesn't change their policies and they don't oversell their servers.

I guess so, but how many people do they typically get at LAN's? I would think a 10/1 connection would handle it. Maybe not.

Either way, you can thank all the pirates and cheating douchebags for only purchased dedicated servers nowadays. They're the ones that drove the market in this direction.

bacon12
09-11-10, 06:09 PM
Na I think this is about controlling DLC more so than cracked servers. They were mostly in Eastern Europe in cod4, and I doubt a lost sale. There are plenty of other ways to prevent the cracked servers as well.

K007
09-11-10, 09:21 PM
Yea i am more with the DLC control than the bs piracy excuse.

ViN86
09-12-10, 12:32 PM
Na I think this is about controlling DLC more so than cracked servers. They were mostly in Eastern Europe in cod4, and I doubt a lost sale. There are plenty of other ways to prevent the cracked servers as well.

Yea i am more with the DLC control than the bs piracy excuse.

And what would it be called if you illegally downloaded DLC and ran it on your server?

Piracy.

bacon12
09-12-10, 01:52 PM
True, but I call charging us $15 for 4 maps something much worse. Why can't they just be like valve and support the community mappers. Given enough time there would be plenty of great maps to include in updates for free. Just touch them up, make balance adjustments and send them out.

six_storm
09-12-10, 02:09 PM
CoD:MW2 Map Packs were ridiculous and I will never buy them. The original maps are good enough for me. I'll probably be getting Black Ops when it comes out too.

ViN86
09-12-10, 04:58 PM
True, but I call charging us $15 for 4 maps something much worse. Why can't they just be like valve and support the community mappers. Given enough time there would be plenty of great maps to include in updates for free. Just touch them up, make balance adjustments and send them out.

I do miss map making tools. If they do include mod tools for Black Ops (as they say they will) then it should have a map making utility.

HYBRID
09-14-10, 12:07 PM
COD can well........

nekrosoft13
09-14-10, 12:26 PM
Please quote the article in the OP. It's so ****ing annoying having to follow the links all the time. Quote that so we don't have to wade through pounds of **** to get wtf we want to know. </rant>

agreed

Bearclaw
09-14-10, 01:18 PM
Am slightly excited for this... but BF pwns all other games like it.