PDA

View Full Version : WTF: Dell 23" for $180?

MikeC
09-11-10, 09:52 AM
What's wrong with this monitor?

There were 11 measly clicks from the front page during the past 24 hours!

http://nvnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=751628175

BTW, click thru the PriceGrabber link. Their price is incorrect.

methimpikehoses
09-11-10, 11:48 AM
crazy price for a 23" :eek:

betterdan
09-11-10, 12:20 PM
Especially when Bob charges $150 for his 3.5" and it's not even 1080P!

Q
09-11-10, 01:08 PM
Low brightness, no ergonomics, and a cruddy ass TN panel. :p

If you're going to spend $200 on a 23" panel, you may as well spend the extra $100 and get a nice e-ips monitor like a ea231wmi or similar. It's 150% of the price but at least 200% better quality, especially in ergonomics and PQ.

Decent price for what it is, in all honesty, but not really a great value overall in my opinion.

bob saget
09-11-10, 01:22 PM
Especially when Bob charges $150 for his 3.5" and it's not even 1080P!

:bleh:

MikeC
09-11-10, 01:42 PM
Low brightness, no ergonomics, and a cruddy ass TN panel. :p

If you're going to spend $200 on a 23" panel, you may as well spend the extra $100 and get a nice e-ips monitor like a ea231wmi or similar. It's 150% of the price but at least 200% better quality, especially in ergonomics and PQ.

Decent price for what it is, in all honesty, but not really a great value overall in my opinion.Just curious. Do you own one? Low brightness? That can easily be corrected via the monitor settings or the NVIDIA control panel settings. My Dell 30" isn't perfect and I use the drivers to control both the brightness and gamma.

No ergonomics? Please explain?

Also, please elaborate on what TN and PQ mean. I have no idea. Thanks.

Average customer rating of 4.6 of 5 and 95% of customers would recommend this product to a friend...

Q
09-11-10, 02:09 PM
Just curious. Do you own one? Low brightness? That can easily be corrected via the monitor settings or the NVIDIA control panel settings. My Dell 30" isn't perfect and I use the drivers to control both the brightness and gamma. No ergonomics? Please explain? Also, please elaborate on what TN and PQ mean. I have no idea. Thanks.

I read a sample of reviews, but I know a mediocre model when I see one. Size over quality in this case, but if it's bought for the right purpose it can still be a good deal. It's a great second or third monitor for office duties.

The brightness usually can only be corrected to a certain degree with drivers before contrast is effected.

PQ is picture quality.

Ergonomic support includes tilting, rotating, height adjustment, and swiveling. My monitors do all of the above, this one just has tilt it seems.

I'm pretty sure your Dell 30" is an IPS panel. There are basically three types of panels used in monitors, with some variation: IPS, VA, and TN. I'm a huge fan of IPS, obviously. IPS has the best picture quality, color reproduction, and viewing angles. But you pay for it, and IPS used to have issues with ghosting. Not so much anymore, but "elite" twitch gamers still prefer one of the other panels. TN models have horrible viewing angles and color reproduction, but have the fastest response times, refresh rates, and rarely have input lag. Cheap to make. VA is kind of in the middle, but can have wonderful black levels. However, some people notice the "zero angle" viewing issue, where the image appears much darker if you do most of your viewing from straight on horizontally and vertically.

There is superb thread over at Anandtech that discusses this at length.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=39226

I ran CRT's until late last year because I didn't want to shell out the money for decent IPS monitors and I had bought - and returned - a variety of TN and VA models over the last 5 years because of all the quirks I found. Thankfully, most people aren't as picky as me.

Sazar
09-11-10, 02:31 PM
What's wrong with this monitor?

There were 11 measly clicks from the front page during the past 24 hours!

http://nvnews.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=751628175

BTW, click thru the PriceGrabber link. Their price is incorrect.

The ST is the basic model.

Not a BAD display but not one the gamers and higher-end users such as yourself would be inclined to dive in after :)

If you want a Dell display that is quality, their pro or Ultrasharp series are always the best bets, but they cost more :(

MikeC
09-11-10, 03:12 PM
I read a sample of reviews, but I know a mediocre model when I see one.Even though you not have seen the monitor in person, I still believe that a mediocre model for $180 is a pretty good deal. Especially in today's economy.

You did say that it was a decent deal although I clearly overreacted to your post and apologize.

Bman212121
09-11-10, 04:30 PM
The other thing to take into consideration is how many people are really in the market for a monitor. I've had this one 3 years now and I'll probably have it until it dies. I'd say peripherals and the computer case itself are the things that last the longest. (For me)

nekrosoft13
09-11-10, 05:06 PM
I will keep my IPS until better IPS monitor is available, will not downgrade to TN.

betterdan
09-11-10, 06:20 PM
I think it's a pretty decent deal myself. I get on the internet, do my finances, look at and read about motorcycles on a forum, make Bob jokes and piss off drug users on this one and sometimes play a couple games. A TN panel is good enough for all of that. I already have a good 24 inch widescreen panel though so I don't need it.

Q
09-11-10, 09:25 PM
Even though you not have seen the monitor in person, I still believe that a mediocre model for $180 is a pretty good deal. Especially in today's economy.

You did say that it was a decent deal although I clearly overreacted to your post and apologize.

Agreed and no sweat.