PDA

View Full Version : I am shipping out 2 Western Digitals HDs for replacement

dikinher
09-13-10, 01:20 AM
My question is...what is the proper way of packaging these drives, so they can be shipped out and received by Western Digital?

I know you need like styrofoam and all that stuff. But anyone know what kind is perfect to properly secure hard drives in? Anyone have experience with this, if so, some advice would be nice. Thanks!

t3hl33td4rg0n
09-13-10, 01:29 AM
I just use whatever came with the drive (I keep most boxes/packaging).

For a HDD all you need is anti-static wrap and some tape.

nekrosoft13
09-13-10, 08:09 AM
when i ship HDD, i use anti-static bag, then wrapped with bubblewrap and sturdy box.

ViN86
09-13-10, 09:19 AM
Question: If they're broken to begin with, who cares as long as they make it there in one piece with no obvious physical damage? :bleh:

dikinher
09-13-10, 07:10 PM
Question: If they're broken to begin with, who cares as long as they make it there in one piece with no obvious physical damage? :bleh:

I agree. It's a stupid policy that Western Digital has set for RMAing HDs. They have to be in a secured box with padding or styrofoam to ensure they make it there in one piece, otherwise they won't accept it.

einstein_314
09-14-10, 11:05 AM
The only time I've had to RMA a drive was with Seagate and they shipped out my new one first. I sent back the broken one in the box the new one arrived in.

But if I were to ship it out myself I would use a) an antistatic bag and b) one of those plastic clamshell things they usually come in (at least they do for me ...). Put that in a box with some filler to keep it from sliding around and you're set.

bacon12
09-14-10, 11:14 AM

Well there is a clause stating they are warrantied for up to a certain G shock.

ViN86
09-14-10, 11:37 AM
Yea I figured. Pretty dumb if the drive's already busted. :lol:

bacon12
09-14-10, 01:23 PM
Yea it is but I saw on [H] last week seagate refusing an RMA because someone wrote on the drive with a magic marker. Pretty stupid.

I keep several hd packings just for the g shock reason. You never know they may actually be a dick and refuse it.