PDA

View Full Version : Valve and AMD team up for driver updates

rudedog
09-15-10, 05:38 PM
Via Marketwatch (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/valver-and-amd-team-up-to-provide-gamers-with-easy-ati-catalysttm-driver-updates-on-steam-2010-09-15):
AMD today announced its collaboration with Valve to deliver ATI Catalyst(TM) graphics driver updates via its Steam platform, a leading platform for PC games and digital entertainment. Steam users can now detect and install the latest ATI Catalyst driver for their ATI Radeon(TM) graphics card directly from within Steam. Valve's most recent Steam Hardware Survey shows that fully 87 percent of DirectX(R) 11 gamers are enjoying ATI Radeon or ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) hardware.
- Source and full article here (http://www.marketwatch.com/story/valver-and-amd-team-up-to-provide-gamers-with-easy-ati-catalysttm-driver-updates-on-steam-2010-09-15)

|MaguS|
09-15-10, 05:55 PM
That sounds great if they offer it as an optional update... I don't want them updating my drivers just because their old because sometimes newer drivers break things.

LurkerLito
09-15-10, 06:31 PM
I'd definitely turn that feature off. I don't mind them auto updating the games but not a chance will I let them auto update anything essential on my system like video card drivers.

Roadhog
09-15-10, 06:35 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155136

|MaguS|
09-15-10, 06:42 PM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=155136

Yes we see that you posted in the wrong area of the forum...

top3koms
09-15-10, 06:44 PM
Seems like a useless feature for the enthusiast.It might be good for the casual AMD GPU owner especially if the update fixes something the user is currently playing.

grey_1
09-15-10, 06:48 PM
I'd definitely turn that feature off. I don't mind them auto updating the games but not a chance will I let them auto update anything essential on my system like video card drivers.

This

Roadhog
09-15-10, 06:59 PM

It doesn't auto update. If your drivers needs to be updated it asks you if you want to. You can say yes or no, and it will never bother you again about them.

dikinher
09-15-10, 08:36 PM
Useless for enthusiasts, but useful for the casual crowd.

KasuCode
09-16-10, 02:18 AM
First off it dosnt auto install just adds an option in the file menu to update video driver

second in downloads via steam which is fast and starts the normal install process.

Its great noob gamers that dont update drivers. But nothing to note for anyone else. at least not right now.

edit: didnt read the full thread before posting. sorry for repeating but ill make it official.

nutcrackr
09-16-10, 04:13 AM
good idea in general, will expose more players to newer drivers.

Bearclaw
09-16-10, 08:02 AM
Good idea in general, moreso for the mass public, not enthusiast. I won't say I WON'T use it ever but as an enthusiast I am always more cautious about new drivers.

According to Bigman though, I can't change BIOS options or drivers. :lol:

rudedog
09-16-10, 08:27 AM
I'll be the first to admin I have not owned a ATI product in a while (however I've been thinking of trying their latest offereings)

From what I've read on other forums, a reboot in not needed? I've always had to reboot my system after installing new drivers. Is this a ATI Cat. feature?

I also agree that not great for the enthusiast but for the casual user this should benefit them.

nutcrackr
09-16-10, 08:28 PM
From what I've read on other forums, a reboot in not needed? I've always had to reboot my system after installing new drivers. Is this a ATI Cat. feature?
Indeed most times I never have to reboot. The install process gives you a blank screen (basically removes the device and puts the new drivers in) and a few seconds later you are up and running with new drivers.

I tried the steam install, it basically downloads it via steam then just runs it like normal.