PDA

View Full Version : Are you a PC gamer snob?

Pages : [1] 2

ChrisRay
07-27-03, 09:42 PM
Something ATI and Nvidia users can relate too. We've always been used to seeing the best graphics before they hit consoles.

Dating back to the Voodoo 1 and 2 cards when we first experienced the wonders of Billinear Filtering.

Everytime a new console is released, Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Gamecube. I have been kinda like "meh @ the graphics"

Thinking. Been there, Done that Nothing has rocked my world since I first got my Sega Saturn. . Then I got the PC which rocked my world again.

Now I come to expect stellar graphics from my machine.

Console users are always ooing and ahhing at the new consoles. And all I see are ugly jagged edges. Blurry textures. Ect. (expecially on the Ps2)

Are you like this as well? Or am I just spoiled I cant apreciate console graphics

saturnotaku
07-27-03, 09:50 PM
While console graphics suck for the most part on the PS2, the Xbox does have its redeeming moments. :naughty:

http://www.neotaku.com/doax/images/oriole/oriole_kasumi1.jpg

And for more just like the above (http://www.neotaku.com/doax/screens.html)

Edit: See? NVIDIA hardware is good for something. ;)

stncttr908
07-27-03, 10:29 PM
The box can look excellent at times, but it still can't match the clarity of a PC. However I don't console game expecting that, and there are a lot more games that I enjoy on a console than on my PC to tell you the truth.

Phyre
07-27-03, 10:39 PM
My last console was the NES. Ever since I started gaming on the PC, I haven't looked back. For me, it's not just the graphics quality. I can't get used to the controllers these days. Keyboard and mouse are much, much better.

Phyre

saturnotaku
07-27-03, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by stncttr908
However I don't console game expecting that, and there are a lot more games that I enjoy on a console than on my PC to tell you the truth.

My thoughts exactly. And for now, PC gaming has been in such a rut. There isn't terribly much out there that's exciting. Now I know Half-Life 2 is going to change that, but that's still two months away.

digitalwanderer
07-27-03, 11:21 PM
I'm not proud of it, but yes I am. I'm totally spoiled with gaming right now and anything less than a good gaming PC is a step down.

Nothing against consoles, it's just my preference. Mebbe when HDTV catches on I'll get into consoles again, but TV's .dpi on the screen drive me NUTS! :eek:

Yes, I'm a pc gamer snob. :)

Sazar
07-27-03, 11:55 PM
my computer kicks the pants of my xbox in terms of graphics... but yah... the xbox certainly has its moments and some games sorta need a controller like that...

:)

also... MP games with an xbox are a lot more fun than over the internet where you have to worry about hackers/pings and a whole slew of other issues.. having a group over playing link play is the bomb :D

and nba street vol 2. that game just straight up ROX... :D

EciDemon
07-28-03, 03:02 AM
I love my pc, games do look great but I think there is a lack of really good Pc games. Its true that games on consoles dosent loog as crisp as on Pc but what consoles lack in Gfx they gain in other areas I think, such as depth and story. That is not true for all games ofcours.

Pc gamed does look good but Im very frusterated that most games dosent use all the features that it can supply. I still have a GF3 that does its job ok. Only two of all my games use pixelshaders ... thats bad. And that brings me to one of the good points with consoles. When I buy a new original game (i mean no pc convert or anything, just exclusive to for example ps2) then I can be quite sure that the game will make good use of the ps2 hardware and its features to make it look as good as it ever will.
I still get very impressed with some of the sceneries of MGS2.
Well just my 2 cents.

zoolap
07-28-03, 03:45 AM
Too much of an emphasis to awesome graphics and not enough on gameplay. I've been playing Zelda on my Gamecube more than I have on my PC for a while now. All you have on PC is FPS, RTS and complicated RPGs.

Half-life 2 and One Must Fall:Battlegrounds (different which is what makes it so interesting) is the only thing I'm looking forward to.

ChrisRay
07-28-03, 06:51 AM
Well I agree there are way too many first person shooters on the PC. I do think that there could be some real time strategy improvements.

But thats one of my favorite genres.

I'd love to see more RPGS become available for the PC. As it's my second favorite genre.

We lack fighting and adventure games. This seems to be because people refuse to buy gamepads and ISV wont develop games with gamepads in mind :(

Oh Well. We always have emus to fill those genres, it's a real shame tho. :(

But you gotta admit. Playing Any PSX game with PC accelerated Graphics (Billinear Filtering. 6x AA and 1024x786 resolution) You have some stellar looking PSX games. Like Final Fantasy ect :)

Dark Jedi
07-28-03, 07:01 AM
But you gotta admit. Playing Any PSX game with PC accelerated Graphics (Billinear Filtering. 6x AA and 1024x786 resolution) You have some stellar looking PSX games. Like Final Fantasy ect

I'll stick to playing Final Fantasy on me PSX. Both PC conversions were slightly dodgy... and stuck at a resolution of 640x480. VIII was marginally better graphics wise... VII sucked because of the poor graphics... only the characters were rendered in 3D, the backdrops were horrible and pixellated. To me, consoles have merit for some types of games... though FPS belong on PC.

ChrisRay
07-28-03, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Dark Jedi
I'll stick to playing Final Fantasy on me PSX. Both PC conversions were slightly dodgy... and stuck at a resolution of 640x480. VIII was marginally better graphics wise... VII sucked because of the poor graphics... only the characters were rendered in 3D, the backdrops were horrible and pixellated. To me, consoles have merit for some types of games... though FPS belong on PC.

Thats why I said use an emulator. Comparing Playing a PSX game on Espxe with Petes latest Opengl/Direct3d plugins to the PC ports is like comparing Unreal in software rendering mode to Glide or Direct3d.

The Emulator allows for high resolution. 2xsal rendering to textures. and FSAA w/o texture bleeds.

Dark Jedi
07-28-03, 07:48 AM
Oops... sorry, misunderstood you. :D

I didn't think PSX emulation was that big on PC anymore since the death of Bleem... interesting.

jnd3
07-28-03, 08:30 AM
Right, try playing Medieval: Total War on a console. ;)

I tried playing Ghost Recon on Xbox and on PC. The PC version won hands-down for me. I couldn't hit squat on the Xbox. Ditto with Splinter Cell. Alas, I am too accustomed to the mouse-keyboard combo. Button mashing just gives me a headache! :p

Cheers,
JND

zoolap
07-28-03, 10:05 AM
For FPS mouse and keyboard is the best and whups gamepads - even alongside Halo on x-box (which has the best FPS control system on a console ever).

I don't see the big deal with the pad issue on pc - with usb it's a piece of cake to install multiple pads on a machine. Ergonomics are the main factor really. Also you can get adapters that allow console pads to be used on pc.

saturnotaku
07-28-03, 11:19 AM
There is no PC gamepad that will ever top the original Sidewinder. The button layout and overall feel is absolutely perfect. Only problem is that you can't use their profiling software in any OS except Windows 98. But that's not a big deal really.

For FPS games, there's no contest. While I agree Halo has by far the most intuitive control scheme for any FPS put out on a console, it still can't touch the PC. I believe so strongly in that, once I finished Halo I traded it in towards credit for Madden 2004, which absolutely belongs on a console. :)

zoolap
07-28-03, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
There is no PC gamepad that will ever top the original Sidewinder...

I have never liked the Sidewinder - it was relatively comfortable to hold, but I did not think much of the d-pad or the buttons.

I have a Thrustmaster FireStorm Dual Power - though I wouldn't say it's as comfortable as the x-box or gamecube pads.

ragejg
07-28-03, 12:36 PM
heh, I like turning my PC INTO a console... ePSXe with Pete's Drivers @ 8x6 w/aa etc... on my fairly nice tv looks gr8, and is esp. fun with a PSX-USB adapter...

I love playstation emulation... :) but need full version of tv-tool to properly enjoy it (without borders etc...)...

I haven't had time for it lately tho... have enjoyed PC games and the numerous options they present...

...and I do play my dreamcast from time to time... Soul Calibur still RULZ! ;)

saturnotaku
07-28-03, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by ragejg
Soul Calibur still RULZ! ;)

Definitely. Although I have played the demo of SC2 and I'm pretty underwhelmed by it. I'm going to wait for one of my friends to buy it, play it and if I find it to be worthwhile I may pick it up. But that's not looking too likely right now.

ChrisRay
07-28-03, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Dark Jedi
Oops... sorry, misunderstood you. :D

I didn't think PSX emulation was that big on PC anymore since the death of Bleem... interesting.

Oh its definately big. Compatibility Speed. Image Quality is just amazing. www.ngemu.com (theres nothing ilegal on this site)

Has all the information you'll ever need. Load up the emu. grab your favorite PSX game and load it into Cd-rom. Or make it an ISO for quick performance and load times. It's wonderful :)

DrFx
07-28-03, 06:15 PM
Right ChrisRay ..
Ever since I laid my hands on a Pc I was totaly blown away, I say same as you I cant stand that low ****ty res and jaggis and textures the crappy consoles have it really make me sick..every time I see a console game it really reminds why I just LOVE my Pc so much ..For me I will never tuch a ****ty console annymore..
My bro has an Xbox and I must say that a 3 year old Pc Game looks way better hehe so **** all consoles.!!

ragejg
07-28-03, 07:15 PM
SWEAR FILTER ACTIVE...

there are rules about this.

:)

Remove, or just don't do again, mmmkay?

saturnotaku
07-28-03, 10:15 PM
For people who bash consoles for the sole reason of graphics, I pity you. There's a whole world of gaming that you're missing out on. I had been a PC die-hard for over 10 years. My first console ever was my Xbox that I bought late last year and I still play it more than my PC. Now it's one thing to say that there are no games on a console that interest you, but to bash solely for the reason of graphics is not that much of a reason at all.

jAkUp
07-28-03, 11:17 PM
i have been gaming for at least 10 years.. my first gaming machine was an atari in the early 90's... for 5 or 6 years i loved console games.. nothing could pull me away, until, i played quake2 with a voodoo2 8mb... after that, i just couldnt touch a console again. the graphics were just so so crisp.

im a graphics junkie.. the other day i saw my buddy playing vice city on ps2, god.. it looked horrible.. the framerate was super low, the draw distance sucked... man im glad i love my pc.

if i had to pick a game for consoles... i would say, resident evil, mario kart, and mortal kombat 2 would be the only reasons i would want a console. (my fav console games of all time :D )

ChrisRay
07-28-03, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by saturnotaku
For people who bash consoles for the sole reason of graphics, I pity you. There's a whole world of gaming that you're missing out on. I had been a PC die-hard for over 10 years. My first console ever was my Xbox that I bought late last year and I still play it more than my PC. Now it's one thing to say that there are no games on a console that interest you, but to bash solely for the reason of graphics is not that much of a reason at all.

I dont bash consoles for there lack of graphics. I'm just never impressed by new consoles when they are released. Simply because by the time the console is released. I've seen that kind of quality.

My Problem with consoles is they lack the customability of PCS