PDA

View Full Version : Cannot create GL Context (OpenGL)

firestorm
07-27-03, 10:13 PM
Any OpenGL games I try to run (MoHAA, RTCW) generate an error similar to that:

Error initializing OpenGL subsystem, or
Cannot create GL context.

I've tried about 11 different drivers for my card, including third party drivers (Omega), and I can't get OpenGL working. I ran GLView just to see what it told me, and it shows NO GL extensions, contexts, or anything. Not even a vendor string.

I know my card is OpenGL compatible, and the drivers are installed correctly. I'm pretty sure the problem lies within Windows XP. Anyone else having similar issues?

Gfx card: XFX nVidia GeForce4 ti4200 w/ AGP8x
CPU: AMD Athlon 1500 (1.3GHz)

hAhAsPlAt
08-26-03, 06:35 AM
Yeah, ive also been having very similar problems.

After I install windows XP SP1 and install the supplied drivers from Abit, I can run opengl apps under windows.

After I fully upgrade XP and reboot, the drivers are still quite happy and opengl works. But after I install a few apps like NVSDK and VS.net or VC6++ i can no longer use opengl with that error, cannot create rendering context.

Ive tried installing new drivers, check md5 sum on opengl32.dll, uninstalling NVSDK/VS.net/VC6++ to no avail. It just doesnt work.

But, if I do a fresh reinstall of windows, and load the original drivers again, it works for awhile.

However opengl runs fun under linux with the latest few driver versions, currently running 4496.

Direct X runs without a problem. Version 8 and 9.

Anyone out there with any ideas? Ive patched all the hardware to the latest versions, installed all the latest drivers. Nothing seems 2 fix it.

Hardware:

Abit Siluro 5900 128mb (non-ultra)
Dual 2.4Ghz Xeon HT enabled
2Gig ECC ram
Windows XP Pro SP1
Linux Debian Unstable
Tyan S2665 i7505 chipset
Creative Audigy

Nutty
08-26-03, 07:03 AM
Sounds like XP being gay.. that OS has just too many problems..
I dunno what else it could be. You have the latest mobo drivers yeah??

I blame XP.

hAhAsPlAt
08-26-03, 08:40 AM
Yeap,

Got the latest bios and drivers for the mobo......

Ive tried 2 use abits latest driver for the 5900 but it barfs with a error, Device Not Found, which is strange.

Does win2k behave itself? Might have 2 give that a bash instead of XP.

AthlonXP1800
08-26-03, 03:55 PM
I think Abit is to blame for the problem, not XP. Abit is not very good now, it have problems with motherboards and now this, I guess Abit modified the reference driver had gone bad wrong. I think Abit got full of newbie engineers with no qualifications. :D

hAhAsPlAt
08-27-03, 07:41 PM
Yeap,

Ur right, installed Win2k SP4, and funny funny, it still does the same thing. OpenGL runs for abit, then when I install 2 many programs and reboot, goodbye to opengl.

That smells like a hardware issue, so itll come down to testing it on a few other machines.

Damm all j00b engineers! :)

bkswaney
08-27-03, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by AthlonXP1800
I think Abit is to blame for the problem, not XP. Abit is not very good now, it have problems with motherboards and now this, I guess Abit modified the reference driver had gone bad wrong. I think Abit got full of newbie engineers with no qualifications. :D

I've seen a lot of post on newer abit mobo's not being all that great.
The last Abit I had was the TH7-II Raid. But that "many say" was the best board they ever built.

I have a Asus right now and I'm not happy at all with it. Unstable city
with many other parts.

I need a 875 chipset board but I'm just not sure what do buy.
There will be a new 2.6C here monday so a new board
will be needed. ;)

hAhAsPlAt
08-28-03, 08:21 AM
Well,

I tried dropping the hardware acceleration off through the display properties, and now opengl will run. As it should :)

I can also set it to the most basic level accel, ie only using a tiny subset of the availible hardware extensions, and it also works, and accelerates those things. If i set it to anything over that, opengl once again fails.

Same old error, Cannot create GL Context.

Seems to me like it could be a driver issue, anyone else have any thoughts?

Furious George
08-28-03, 11:30 AM
It is a memory footprint issue in nvidias drivers. If you are unable to generate accelerated opengl contexts you need to close some apps. They now about it and are working on it.