PDA

View Full Version : 5900 Ultra artifacts all over!

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 03:30 AM
http://home.stny.rr.com/iceddz/john/Image1.jpg
The image pretty much speaks for itself. I see this ALL THE TIME. Whenver 1942 loads the moutains as im progressing through the map they appear, and sometimes its other textures slapped over and thrown across the screen but it only appears for a second. Before you ask, yes it is overclocked BUT its within Gainwards enhanced limits. This card even does it with the stock clock speeds! I tried without and with AA,AF,vsync,etc and its always there. What do you guys think? Should I return it and pay the damned 80 dollar restocking fee?

volt
07-28-03, 03:34 AM
Try at least 3 different driver sets before you make your choice :)

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 03:39 AM
Already did, Tried the Gainward 44.03, Nvidia page 44.03, Gainward 44.71. Still the same thing....

gokickrocks
07-28-03, 03:43 AM

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 04:03 AM
I just underclocked it from 450/850 to 300/600 and they are still there...Some were gone but the majority of them were there. Gonna try another driver set.

raysusan
07-28-03, 04:29 AM
did u try using deflaut setting in the driver only?

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 04:35 AM
Just tried that without using the expert tool and I only had 1 artifact at the enhanced mode setting. Im gonna stick with this one for a while to see if it holds out. Note to everyone out there, if you experience the same issues, uninstall expert tool and reinstall your drivers. I think the expert tool might have an error inside it.

Lfctony
07-28-03, 06:53 AM
Is it in BF1942 only? If so, its a system issue and not your graphics cards problem, meaning its not defective but something causes it to behave the way it does in the game.

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 04:21 PM
Its not a system issue, Other have reported it as well with 1942 and the Gainward card. If anyone has a 5900 can you try something?

Load up the modification Desert Combat (www.desertcombat.com) and go to create game, then choose the map as Gazala. Spawn in as the Opposition team next to the hanger. Once you spawn run to the jet plane to the right, hop in and take a right as soon as possible. as you make the right from the runway I see lots of corruption as i move. Sometimes I can see through entire moutains for a moment then it will go back to normal.

Newegg just contacted me back letting me know there would not be a restocking fee so I think im just going to return it. If the next Nvidia card beats out what ATI has to offer Ill get the Nvidia, If not then I guess im going to the dark side :( Come to think of it..It started when I installed DX9.0b....Anyone else who has this issue did you update too?

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 05:45 PM
Well that does it, I just called Newegg up and got the RMA number for a refund. Sorry Nvidia, I really tried but this is no acceptable. :( I really hope their october Ultra makes a better impression.

Malfunction
07-28-03, 06:21 PM
Ummm.... if you did everything *correctly, you don't think you may have gotten a bad card? You never really mentioned if it was just happening in BF. My buds have a Gainward 5900 Ultra and the other has a MSI 5900 non-ultra. Both play just fine and don't have any problems.

1 bud is using a P4C800 Deluxe with a Pentium 3Ghz (C) while the other is using a P4T533-C and a Pentium 2.85 O/C'd to 3.1Ghz. Both are not having any problems with BF1942, DC or MOH/MOHSH.

I think we are all using the Det. 44.67's.

9 times out of 10, I don't blame the product. The Nvidia card was about as difficult setting up the ATi cards I have owned... "easy."

Come to think of it, I've never recieved a bad product from anywhere... *knock on wood.

One thing that did happen recently to a friend of mine with a 9700 Pro Built by ATi was he O/C'd too much and the ambient temp got too hot. Before he knew it, he smelled hot electrical device and his PC locked up. Upon reboot, artifacts instantly. After allowing the PC a few hours to cool down and gather his thoughts... booted up, same thing... artifacts.

What you can O/C on a cool day is not necessarily good for a hot one.:D

What a shame, hope you have better luck with the ATi card.

Peace,

:)

jAkUp
07-28-03, 07:25 PM
you may have damaged it from overclocking... those babys run hot already, overclocking is not a good idea, not even a little bit.

Jovi
07-28-03, 07:40 PM
Did you have the Enviroment mapping checked and have view distance to max?

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Jovi
Did you have the Enviroment mapping checked and have view distance to max?

Yes, It doesnt really matter anymore cause I just sent the card back. I got my old GF3 ti550 Golden Sample from gainward in now.

Carbon Unit
07-28-03, 08:57 PM
I have exprienced the same problem with both my Ti 4200 and 5900, using 44.03 and only on the DC maps, I have switched to 44.67 and the artifacts are all gone

Dot50Cal
07-28-03, 10:54 PM
Got my GF3 running the 44.03's in now and im not seeing the problem. Its almost like it was overclocked too much and its damaged. I never went past its limits though :(