PDA

View Full Version : Laptop hangs at welcome screen ~7 minutes

mojoman0
09-22-10, 07:47 PM
My laptop recently started being very sluggish at boot. It takes forever to get into windows and have everything working. I don't use it very often so it has minimal software installed and shouldn't have any malware as I keep MSE running. Anyone else have this problem? I've created another user as I read they can become corrupted but booting into that user doesn't fix the problem. Thanks

PieEyedPiper
09-23-10, 12:02 AM
My laptop recently started being very sluggish at boot. It takes forever to get into windows and have everything working. I don't use it very often so it has minimal software installed and shouldn't have any malware as I keep MSE running. Anyone else have this problem? I've created another user as I read they can become corrupted but booting into that user doesn't fix the problem. Thanks

What version of windows are you running?
You say that this just started recently, meaning there was likely a single event that lead to this outcome. Try and retrace your steps, removing recent software, playing with settings, etc and of course drivers are a likely culprit, too.
This is all assuming you're not infected.

Otherwise, a rebuild might be in order. It's no nightmare I can rebuild a laptop start to finish in 30min sometimes.

nekrosoft13
09-23-10, 08:47 AM
could be caused by many different issues.

1) hardware
2) software
3) drivers
4) malware

I would start by opening msconfig, do selective startup and unselect he ini files.

then in services, hide all MS services and disable everything else, in startup also disable all.

if computer boots up normal, then your problem is either malware or software.

from there start enabling things slowly, 2-3 startup or service options at a time and keep rebooting, until you again find one that might be causing delay.

if you are running windows 7, you can go into one of the extended event viewer catagories and find one that relates to startup and shutdown (can't check the name right now, since i'm using XP :( ) In there it will list name of program/driver or service that is causing a startup or shutdown delay.

Quick420
09-23-10, 11:48 AM
Why'd ya go back to XP? LOL. I do the dual boot,works a treat.I had some trouble with MS Genuine a week or so ago but a phone call cleared that up.

JasonPC
09-26-10, 01:08 AM
Have you tried checking the harddrive for errors?

What are the specs of the laptop?

mojoman0
09-26-10, 08:05 PM
Its a compaq f730us 1.8ghz amd dual core, 2gb ram, running windows 7 32 bit. There are no system restore entries before I started having this problem unfortunately. I tried rebooting with all non windows services off but same problem. I was able to do a registry edit to turn on verbose boot messages and it gets hung for quite a while displaying "waiting for the user profile service" but I can't find a fix for it. I hear hard drive activity during this time at constant intervals of around 4 seconds. Safe mode boots fine, so I still need to try disabling all startup items and see what happens. Will do now

mojoman0
09-26-10, 08:28 PM
turned off all startup programs and had no effect. About 2 months ago the wifi chip died in this laptop likely because its so hot where I live but replacing the chip did not solve the problem so that problem may lie deeper in hardware, however that issue did not immediately cause this boot problem

JasonPC
10-10-10, 06:53 PM
Try a fresh installation of windows?

betterdan
10-10-10, 07:40 PM
No usb device is plugged in is it? If my printer is on or my wife's cell phone is plugged in then my computer will take forever to boot up if it ever does at all.
I probably should go into bios and make sure bootup with usb device isn't listed first or even disable it if I can.

Also my wife's laptop with Vista didn't like The Witcher dvd being in the drive when it booted up, it would take an extra long time to come up to the welcome screen if it was in there. Took it out and bam , much quicker bootup into windows.

JasonPC
10-10-10, 09:40 PM
If safe mode boots up fast then it sounds like some driver or service is causing windows to take a long time to load.

Have you tried diagnostic startup in msconfig?

mojoman0
10-15-10, 03:13 PM
I'll give the bios usb thing a try. Actually while I was in the BIOS i found a hard drive test and it came back with an error #2-07. Seems nobody on the internet knows exactly what it means, but some type of hd error. I downloaded the hitachi hd analyzer tools which boot from a dvd. I can start the test but eventually it always freezes. Now looking for another hd tester utility.

nekrosoft13
10-15-10, 03:23 PM
you could test the HDD in another PC.

just hook it up to your desktop and test the HDD, it it hangs again then there is something wrong with the HDD, if it passes, then there is something wrong with laptop maybe motherboard, sata or ide controller etc..

mojoman0
10-15-10, 06:01 PM
would I need some kind of adapter for that? I'm pretty sure it has some kind of weird laptop connector. This computer gets very warm now as well but whenever I pull the ram cover or hd cover off, there is no dust to be seen. I guess its time to pull it all apart and dust this sucker out.

I just reflashed the bios and that didnt fix anything, but I'm pretty sure the hd is just goofed. The hitachi website is releasing a realignment tool in 3 days so I'll try to give that a go and see what happens

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

Drolfrawd
10-15-10, 06:16 PM
nekro is on the right track i think
slave the drive

command prompt

change directory to slave drive

command prompt

chkdsk /f /r

if not that then perhaps your systemboard is failing.

good luck

Drolfrawd
10-15-10, 06:16 PM
would I need some kind of adapter for that? I'm pretty sure it has some kind of weird laptop connector. This computer gets very warm now as well but whenever I pull the ram cover or hd cover off, there is no dust to be seen. I guess its time to pull it all apart and dust this sucker out.

I just reflashed the bios and that didnt fix anything, but I'm pretty sure the hd is just goofed. The hitachi website is releasing a realignment tool in 3 days so I'll try to give that a go and see what happens

http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/

it will have a weird laptop connector but just pull it off , or unscrew the caddie

Edit it may have two little screws holding the weird connector on

mojoman0
10-15-10, 07:59 PM
ah is there a sata hiding underneath possibly? Hitachi scsi drive. I just did a complete teardown ~30 screws and had the motherboard out. I wanted to do this just for dust, which there wasn't much of actually. I put a little arctic silver on the cpu and likely gpu next to it. The fan is pretty much enclosed with the cpu cooler so it doesnt pull dust into the system. Didn't fix the boot problem but seems like the fan isnt running so hard. The ram practically burns you if you touch it after its been running.

mojoman0
10-16-10, 01:07 AM
oh nice there was an adapter for the laptop hookup and found the sata hookups underneath. This is good to know...slipped under my radar. Will test in the morning

mojoman0
10-16-10, 01:29 PM
well plugged it in and when I boot into the diagnostic utility it finds the drive but when I start the test it stalls and gives me 0x20 error which is device not present. I click rescan bus and the drive disappears. This happens every time. Fishy. I booted and looked at smart status. I'm assuming this is the problem

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h163/mojoman0/Untitled.png

mojoman0
10-18-10, 01:39 PM
now that I've put it back in the laptop after playing with it on my desktop it seems the problem has disappeared and it boots normally now. Interesting

Redeemed
10-18-10, 01:47 PM
Your drive may be failing. As a precaution, I'd back everything up that's important- pictures, music, documents, etc.

Drolfrawd
10-18-10, 01:54 PM
Your drive may be failing. As a precaution, I'd back everything up that's important- pictures, music, documents, etc.

+1 replace the hdd

mojoman0
10-18-10, 01:59 PM
Yea since college is over and I don't use this laptop for anything more serious than browsing the web and watching videos on the tv I think I'll just live it out until it dies. I'm sure heat was the culprit. Thanks guys