PDA

View Full Version : Galaxy S Captivate and Fascinate updates

Pages : [1] 2

betterdan
09-23-10, 03:30 AM
The AT&T Captivate and Verizon Fascinate phones are now getting the firmware updates for the GPS fix
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsung-announces-captivate-gps-fix
http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-fascinate-update-pushing-out-now

They need to hurry up with the T-Mobile Vibrant :mad:

|MaguS|
09-23-10, 02:03 PM
Mine says that their are no updates available but im guessing thats due to my custom rom.

CaptnStubing
09-27-10, 02:17 PM
Mine says that their are no updates available but im guessing thats due to my custom rom.

Yeah you won't get updates via custom roms.

betterdan
09-27-10, 02:57 PM
And still no T-Mobile update...

|MaguS|
09-27-10, 07:21 PM
The update didn't do anything. GPS still sucks.

betterdan
09-27-10, 07:37 PM
:(

hawkeyefan
10-02-10, 11:56 AM
Froyo is now available for the Captivate. Leaked official build release. GPS is flawless. Locked ten sats within a couple seconds and accuracy appears to be within a few feet. I'll walk around and do a MyTracks later but all reports are that GPS is perfect now.

Thought of betterdan immediately (no homo) the minute I saw the thread on XDA last night.

I can't recall if there are other Captivate users here but if there are, the Froyo release doesn't (yet) support one-click root, voodoo lagfix, etc. Sideloading wonder machine works, root can be obtained but is a bit of a PITA. No HSUPA yet. ATT and Samsung bloatware in full effect. I would suppose there will be a Cognition rom/voodoo support within a day or two judging by the rate at which devs are moving on this...insane how fast these guys are working.

betterdan
10-02-10, 12:03 PM
You didn't think of me in a homo way? :(
:rofl

As for the T Mobile update... no where to be seen, not froyo, not even the GPS fix all the other carriers got for their version of the Galaxy phones. This sucks almost as much as Rosie Odonnel on a 10 course dinner.

hawkeyefan
10-02-10, 12:13 PM
You didn't think of me in a homo way? :(
:rofl

As for the T Mobile update... no where to be seen, not froyo, not even the GPS fix all the other carriers got for their version of the Galaxy phones. This sucks almost as much as Rosie Odonnel on a 10 course dinner.

Honestly, the "GPS fix" really wasn't that at all from my own experience with it. I still had much better GPS performance with an older modem.bin from a stock SGS rom than I did with the updated version.

I dunno how good T-mobile is at pushing out updates but that the ATT version has been leaked via (I *think*) Samsung themselves, it seems safe to assume that your version should be in the wild shortly.

betterdan
10-02-10, 04:23 PM
This is the first time I've had T Mobile so I don't know about their updating but from what I've read and seen it sucks ass.
I saw on the T Mobile forum that they will supposedly put out some info on the update next week... Sucks that it was the first Galaxy S phone in the US and it's the last to get the update.

|MaguS|
10-02-10, 04:29 PM
This is the first time I've had T Mobile so I don't know about their updating but from what I've read and seen it sucks ass.
I saw on the T Mobile forum that they will supposedly put out some info on the update next week... Sucks that it was the first Galaxy S phone in the US and it's the last to get the update.

Captivate launched before the Vibrant. Captivate launched in July, Vibrant in August.

betterdan
10-02-10, 04:43 PM
No. Vibrant became available for sale before then. Vibrant was actually out on the market first. Trust me, I bought the Vibrant at a T-Mobile store the day it became available on July 15th.
Now the official "launch" came later but by then many people already had the Vibrant.

|MaguS|
10-02-10, 05:10 PM
Yes but Samsung goes by the official date (as does every site), not the broken release date. People had Halo Reach before release but they consider release the day MS set, not the day the first person got their hands on it.

betterdan
10-02-10, 05:52 PM
It wasn't a broken release date. It was for sale everywhere on July 15th. Including all T-Mobile stores, online, Radio Shack etc.
Like I said Vibrant was the first US Galaxy S phone out and it sucks that it is the last being updated.

betterdan
10-07-10, 08:42 AM
Well it looks like today they are finally starting to roll out the new firmware update/fix for the T-Mobile Vibrants now according to their forum.
Waiting for my update now...

Maverick123w
10-07-10, 10:00 AM
Well it looks like today they are finally starting to roll out the new firmware update/fix for the T-Mobile Vibrants now according to their forum.
Waiting for my update now...

Let us know if it fixes the problem.

betterdan
10-07-10, 10:31 AM
I will as soon as I get the update.
A few people have reported receiving the update but they are too occupied with the new task manager, Samsung Media Hub and HD camcorder icons and have said nothing about the GPS. :lol:

betterdan
10-07-10, 10:53 AM
I just noticed HSPA+ which is T-Mobiles equivalent to 4G speeds is now available in my area (Hampton Roads VA) Just went live within the last week or so I believe. :thumbsup:

betterdan
10-08-10, 08:37 PM
Alright I got the update/fix tonight and I see some changes.
1. Compass is fixed and works great now.
2. Task Manager button added when you bring up list of recent apps by holding home button
3. Media Hub icon added in apps
4. HD Camcorder icon added in apps
5. Option to set wifi to turn off after display goes off is now gone. (This was probably causing problems as some people complained of wifi not reconnecting)
6. Settings/Mobile Networks/Network Mode has new options of GSM/WCDMA (auto), GSM Only or WCDMA Only I believe before it used to say auto or 2G
7. GPS seems to work a hell of a lot better. Just went outside and before could rarely get 3 or 4 sats to lock but now it saw 11 and locked on 9. Accuracy showed 6 meters. Haven't got to drive around and test it but so far it seems like it's fixed. Thank God as that was my biggest gripe with the phone. I also noticed in GPS Test from market Place that the time settings were correct. Before the time of the GPS was off a few hours which I believe may have been affecting the operation of it.

Some others say there are 40 bug fixes and now you can set sounds for different calendar events. The above is all I could see different though.

:thumbsup:

betterdan
10-08-10, 11:56 PM
Also just noticed that the swype keyboard has voice input now. I am posting this from my phone and I notice I can see the flash ads. I don't think I could see them before.

snowmanwithahat
10-10-10, 01:34 AM
Wow, Betterdan, I didn't know they added so much to the epic between the release of my phone and the Vibrant.

We've had the voice-swype since release, along with the built in task manager.

Glad to hear they're updating everything now though :D

betterdan
10-10-10, 03:14 AM
Yep the Vibrant was first out so I guess it suffered for that and it took longer to get the update because they had to add everything that was left out originally.
I'm glad it's getting up to date now too.
I tried the GPS out today when I took the motorcycle on a ride to go get a haircut. It took a minute and a half to lock on from a cold start but once it locked on it was at 5m accuracy and stayed locked nicely. Still haven't had a chance to test it driving down the road since my car is in the shop and when I'm on the bike the phone stays in my pocket.

betterdan
10-10-10, 10:50 AM
Alright found an annoying bug. When the phone display has been off for a while the wifi disconnects and the phone mobile data connection takes over. When i wake up the display it shows it connects to wifi again but I can't do anything with it. I turn off wifi and the mobile data works then I turn back on wifi and nothing. I even disconnected from my wifi router and then rebooted the router, same problem. The only way I can get it to start working again is to reboot the phone.

I mistakenly thought they got rid of the option to to set wifi to turn off after display goes off or leave wifi on all the time. It is there under wifi settings then hit the menu button and go into advanced. I like having it go off when the display isn't being used as it saves battery power but this sucks having to reboot it to get wifi back.

snowmanwithahat
10-10-10, 11:00 AM
That is slightly annoying. If you're worried about the battery drain because of using 3g you might be able to use Juice Defender to keep the 3g disabled while the screen is off.

I'm really jealous of all the other Galaxy S owners... I'm really dissapointed that my screen has a wobble because of slider.... not to mention the fact that I hardly use the keyboard anyway. I'd much rather just have a captivate

betterdan
10-10-10, 11:03 AM
Not worried about 3G, I want it to use 3G while the screen is off. The option I have on is to turn off wifi when the display goes off and enable the mobile connection. I believe the wifi connection uses more power but I could be wrong.
It is working in that it turns the wifi off and uses the mobile connection. The problem is when I wake it back up after a while it shows the wifi connects but it still won't let you do anything. I am thinking when the phone shuts it off automatically it never reenables it correctly so you have to reboot. If I select to never shut off wifi then this will probably solve the problem but possibly eat up more battery power.