PDA

View Full Version : Linksys E2000 and Fiber Optic Connection

Raptorman
09-26-10, 03:20 PM
I have a 100mbit download 2 mbit upload fiber optic connection.
I purchased a Linksys E2000 Wireless-N router firmware v. 1.0.02 for the new network.

Now, this has been working fine for months. Recently, I set my router up for an Open NAT on for my Xbox 360 so that my friends lousy connection would stop being the host.
Here is what I changed:
Disabled UPnP
MTU size set to 1365
Unchecked Filter Anonymous Internet Requests
Port forwarded all Xbox 360 ports.
Designated the Xbox 360 to connect to one specific IP every time.

This worked great. Opened my NAT and all was right with the world. Until today.

Rented a movie on Xbox Live, download was slower than the second coming. Figured it was just Microsoft sucking as usual. So, I rented a movie on my PS3 (PS3 and Xbox 360 are both on wireless network) still was slower than second coming.

So, I went to dslreports and speedtest. The Flash 8 tests on dslreports shows my connection as fine, the java based tests show it slower than 1 mbit download, and speedtest.net shows it as a normal connection for me.

I can download games off of steam on my PC from a wired connection at normal speeds.

Any ideas what is screwed up on my wireless so that my download sucks so bad? I want to keep the open NAT for the 360, but will reset everything if I have to.

Redeemed
09-26-10, 03:21 PM
Fibre optic?

Holy crap! Don't ya'll live like... in the sticks or something? :lol:

Raptorman
09-26-10, 03:27 PM
Fibre optic?

Holy crap! Don't ya'll live like... in the sticks or something? :lol:

Yeah, and I have a 100mbit download lol. Now, if I can only figure out what screwed up to screw over my wireless. I've been wanting to watch a movie ALL DAY but since it's taken 4 hours to get to 5% on my wireless I guess that's NOT going to happen.

Roadhog
09-26-10, 03:32 PM
leave upnp enabled.

Redeemed
09-26-10, 03:32 PM
Yeah, and I have a 100mbit download lol. Now, if I can only figure out what screwed up to screw over my wireless. I've been wanting to watch a movie ALL DAY but since it's taken 4 hours to get to 5% on my wireless I guess that's NOT going to happen.

Crap dude- that's an awesome connection. :lol: I'm on DSL here- can't even fathom the price for fibre optics out here. :lol: :o

Anyhow, not too savy on networking so unfortunately not sure what could help the DL speeds. :o Maybe, for diagnostic purposes, try resetting it all and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't then maybe your settings are fine but it's an issue with your provider?

Just a guess, really. :o GL figuring this out though. :)

Raptorman
09-26-10, 03:35 PM
leave upnp enabled.

If I lave upnp enabled it sets my NAT to Strict on the 360. That's why I disabled it.

Magically it is downloading slightly faster on the PS3 now. The 360 still sucks.

And I pay $99.95 for 100mbit d/l 2mbit u/p Redeemed

Redeemed
09-26-10, 03:37 PM
If I lave upnp enabled it sets my NAT to Strict on the 360. That's why I disabled it.

Magically it is downloading slightly faster on the PS3 now. The 360 still sucks.

And I pay $99.95 for 100mbit d/l 2mbit u/p Redeemed

Only $80 more a month than what I pay. lol

Not too savy on fibre optic- but don't they have to run a dedicated fibre line to your house? Isn't that expensive?

Raptorman
09-26-10, 03:44 PM
Only $80 more a month than what I pay. lol

Not too savy on fibre optic- but don't they have to run a dedicated fibre line to your house? Isn't that expensive?

The fiber optic line and modem are free, and there's no installation fee. Just have to pay the monthly rate.

http://www.sunsetcom.net/ That's my provider.
http://www.myclariti.com/index2.php

Redeemed
09-26-10, 03:49 PM
The fiber optic line and modem are free, and there's no installation fee. Just have to pay the monthly rate.

http://www.sunsetcom.net/ That's my provider.
http://www.myclariti.com/index2.php

How do I find out if I can get that in my area? I've researched Cable, other DSL providers, as well as Satellite and they all have a place where you can input your ZIP and they'll let you know if the service is available in your area.

I'm thinking the $50 a month one... but don't know if I can get that here.

Raptorman
09-26-10, 03:51 PM
How do I find out if I can get that in my area? I've researched Cable, other DSL providers, as well as Satellite and they all have a place where you can input your ZIP and they'll let you know if the service is available in your area.

I'm thinking the $50 a month one... but don't know if I can get that here.

Unfortunately, my fiber optic provider only provides service in southwestern Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, and eastern Tennessee.

Redeemed
09-26-10, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately, my fiber optic provider only provides service in southwestern Virginia, Eastern Kentucky, and eastern Tennessee.

Yeah, just did a google search for my area... and it looks like I'm SOL. lol

Thinking of going with Satellite internet simply cause of the significantly faster DL and UL speeds... not too concerned with the latency since I really don't do any online gaming anymore.

But I'd prefer Fibre optic, of course. lol

Raptorman
09-26-10, 04:28 PM
Called Linksys and it looks like the firmware update boinked my router and Linksys is sending me a new one.

Redeemed
09-26-10, 04:34 PM
Oh- cool beans. :) Good on Linksys. :)

Raptorman
09-27-10, 08:16 AM
Apparently something else is up with this. I hooked up my old Linksys W54GS router, and the download for all my wireless devices still sucks.

I don't know what's going on. The PC I'm on now is wired and the download is great, but all my wireless devices on two routers sucks.

For example: It has taken me 18 hours to download a movie I rented that is 5.8GB on a wireless device.

lee63
09-27-10, 06:52 PM
I've never had any luck with wireless, it all seems to be slow to me. I'll be moving into a new house soon and I'll make sure both main PC's are wired.

Raptorman
09-27-10, 08:27 PM
Well, to make things even better. This morning my wireless started working great again. As of now my wireless speeds suck again. Just tried downloading a file on my wife's laptop and the max speed it hit was 182 kb/sec. This morning it was over 4 mbit/sec. I'm at a loss, and don't know what's going on. There's no interference that I know of, no one near me has a router or wireless device that operates in the range my router does. This problem seems to come and go, and I don't know why. Any ideas, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Raptorman
09-27-10, 08:36 PM
I have noticed on my wife's laptop it says:
IPv6 Connectivity: No Network Access

Isn't that suppose to be connected?

Redeemed
09-27-10, 09:58 PM
I have noticed on my wife's laptop it says:
IPv6 Connectivity: No Network Access

Isn't that suppose to be connected?

Traditionally... I believe so.

Again, I'm no networking guru... but make sure all the settings for IPv6 are set to "auto"... that's the first thing I'd do... and likely ya'll already did it. Just throwing it out there "in case". :lol:

Kinda' get me concerned as I'll be going wireless in my trailer (really don't wanna' run a line out to it). Gonna' go with an MIMO N connection... kinda' hoping I don't encounter any issues. :o

Raptorman
09-28-10, 06:21 PM
Fixed my issue. Went and bought the uber-powerful Linksys E3000. It cost $150, but it was worth it.