PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Wants To Lead PC Revolution

Pages : [1] 2 3

dikinher
09-27-10, 08:18 PM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41030/Microsoft-wants-to-lead-PC-revolution

Microsoft has hit back at criticism that it isn’t doing enough to support PC gamers.
The platform holder says it should be its job to offer leadership in the sector, and will step up with three market-leading PC titles: Fable III, Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight.
“There’s been a fair bit of criticism aimed at Microsoft that we were spending a lot of our focus on console, and we need to be putting resources behind PC as well,” Microsoft Games Studios’ general manager Dave Luehmann told MCV in an interview.
“Other companies should look to Microsoft for leadership, but I’m not sure they do. It is our job to lead the way on PC. And in some ways we are doing that and in other ways we are not. So we need to step up.
“We are putting some real investment and big IPs behind the Windows platform. We’ve spoken of the first three, Fable III, Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight. However we are not going to stop there.”
All of these games make use of Microsoft’s Games for Windows – Live service which is the PC equivalent of Xbox Live. Luehmann says it is Microsoft’s job to experiment with new business models to help inspire other publishers and developers worldwide.
“I think it is the responsibility of first parties to push the business models in to new directions. We will test some ideas – some will work and some won’t,” added Luehmann.

http://i56.tinypic.com/23jg31s.gif

Redeemed
09-27-10, 08:53 PM
lol

Less talk, more action.

Destroy
09-27-10, 09:18 PM
Put out or get out.

mailman2
09-27-10, 10:43 PM
We get a new statement of commitment every 6 months or so. Maybe they are getting tired of losing money RMA'ing 75% of their shipped R_Rod boxes. They'd actually make some money of PC titles that use DX 11, I wonder if they finally realized PC gamers actually have jobs and buy $500 GPUs and software like... oh say...Windows 7....whereas console gamers are 15 year olds that need mommy or daddy to buy them those mature games that keep them quiet and in the basement.

bob saget
09-27-10, 11:19 PM
We get a new statement of commitment every 6 months or so. Maybe they are getting tired of losing money RMA'ing 75% of their shipped R_Rod boxes. They'd actually make some money of PC titles that use DX 11, I wonder if they finally realized PC gamers actually have jobs and buy $500 GPUs and software like... oh say...Windows 7....whereas console gamers are 15 year olds that need mommy or daddy to buy them those mature games that keep them quiet and in the basement.

there are more whiny 15 year olds in the world than people that spend $500 for GPUs. It's a better market. I hate it, but you can't argue with simple math.

t3hl33td4rg0n
09-28-10, 01:32 AM
Why does a broken record come to mind every time an article is posted like this?

nutcrackr
09-28-10, 02:40 AM
MS came out with the same stuff before. They never seem serious or committed, it takes them years to do things that should have been done months ago. They make stupid decisions.

They need a real PC gamer calling the shots.

K007
09-28-10, 06:00 AM
i've heard this bs story before.

If anything Capcom have been the only real surprise for me when it came to their releases on the PC. polished/solid product (minus the mslive thing).

@MS

woySeSNBL3o

crainger
09-28-10, 06:38 AM
It's all just a bunch of PR speak. Basically, a good game like Bioshock/Fallout/Batman: AA 3 is released on PC. It's either co developed for PC or a really good port. It just so happens to use Games for Windows Live. Bam. MS claims tries to claim credit for push PC into a new Golden Age.

As mentioned Capcom are showing how to work the PC market. First off, you make a decent port, you get the port out close to the console release, and you price well to cut the piracy.

mailman2
09-28-10, 07:44 AM
i've heard this bs story before.

If anything Capcom have been the only real surprise for me when it came to their releases on the PC. polished/solid product (minus the mslive thing).

Yea, Capcom has been pretty good.

I'm still disappointed with some of the other ports. Aspyr really screwed up Force Unleashed with the 30 FPS cap. Unfortunately, they didn't realize PC gamers have machines 100 times more powerful than consoles...initially they said it wasn't coming to PC cause the PC wasn't powerful enough, then when they release it they insult us further with a ridiculous fps cap. I'd say they are completely out of touch with PC gamers.

ViN86
09-28-10, 10:08 AM
Of course they do. This beauty from Microsoft's very own Kudo Tsunoda.

http://gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2010/09/18/-Talking-Kinect-With-Kudo.aspx

:rolleyes:

ROFL that quote is hilarious. :rofl

grey_1
09-28-10, 10:27 AM
Microsoft Wants To Lead PC Revolution

Translation - "We want our malware gfwl on all your PCs.

Shut up, keep the OS decent for other companies to support PC gaming. bunch of vampires, only reason they keep spouting this garbage is trying to figure out where they can suck most lifes blood out of someones wallet. Frikken leeches.

/rant

:)

Vardant
09-28-10, 10:33 AM
I'm still waiting for GoW to be released on Live games on demand.

grey_1
09-28-10, 10:38 AM
I'm still waiting for GoW to be released on Live games on demand.

It would take all of them + Halo 3 to convince me MS cares about anything more other companies that are laying waste to their profit margins in PC gaming. Bet they won't do it though.

DiscipleDOC
09-28-10, 10:44 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:xzGxSvf30S5RoM:http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/3876/berto.jpg&t=1

Vardant
09-28-10, 10:53 AM
It would take all of them + Halo 3 to convince me MS cares about anything more other companies that are laying waste to their profit margins in PC gaming. Bet they won't do it though.
Gaming OS would probably be enough in my case.

FastRedPonyCar
09-28-10, 10:53 AM
I want to see Halo 2 fixed for windows 7 (major issues for a lot of people, myself included) and I want to see the rest of the halo games, GOW 2 and 3 and Alan wake all ported WELL to PC.

All of this Xbox exclusive BS needs to end and become Microsoft exclusive instead. If MS considers these games their property, it needs to be on all microsoft platforms.

We read these half hearted words already this year and have seen absolutely NOTHING since then.

Fable III, AOE and Flight appeal to all of 3% of the PC gaming population.

Vardant
09-28-10, 10:57 AM
You could live without Alan Wake, trust me. It's not that good of a game. If I look at the presentations shown few years back, physics, the whole sandbox version, it almost makes me cry.

FastRedPonyCar
09-28-10, 11:13 AM
its not really to me about if it's a good game or not, it's the principle behind it being console exclusive.

As an owner of both a 360 and their operating system, it seems only fair that if they have something they want to be exclusive to their hardware, it should be available for those who paid $300 for their console or much much more for a PC with their nearly as expensive operating system running it.

Some games I enjoy more on a console on my couch and others, more on the PC. I should have that choice to make.

Bearclaw
09-28-10, 11:16 AM
You could live without Alan Wake, trust me. It's not that good of a game. If I look at the presentations shown few years back, physics, the whole sandbox version, it almost makes me cry.

+1 It started out looking absolutely amazing and was reduced to absolute crap. :(

ViN86
09-28-10, 11:20 AM
The absence of Gears of War 2 (and probably 3) on PC has nothing to do with MS. I don't know why many of you think it does. The decision to leave GoW2 (and probably 3) off of PC is from Cliffy B and Epic, not MS.

grey_1
09-28-10, 11:23 AM
its not really to me about if it's a good game or not, it's the principle behind it being console exclusive.

As an owner of both a 360 and their operating system, it seems only fair that if they have something they want to be exclusive to their hardware, it should be available for those who paid $300 for their console or much much more for a PC with their nearly as expensive operating system running it.

Some games I enjoy more on a console on my couch and others, more on the PC. I should have that choice to make.

This is the reason I believe MS will eventually be passed up in favor of other OSs. May take a while, but their decision makers obviously aren't intelligent enough to understand the simple principles in your post.

I would really hope threads like this are brought to their attention somewhere along the way.

Vanzagar
09-28-10, 11:23 AM
The platform holder says it should be its job to offer leadership in the sector, and will step up with three market-leading PC titles: Fable III, Age of Empires Online and Microsoft Flight.

Big freakin deal, couldn't care less about those games... if they were serious they would make the next Halo PC only:p, that would get the console guys' panties in a bunch... or how about buying Project Offset from Intel and making that PC only.... I'd even settle for some new AAA FPS shooter or RPG that they'd released on the PC first, by say 6 months...

grey_1
09-28-10, 11:25 AM
The absence of Gears of War 2 (and probably 3) on PC has nothing to do with MS. I don't know why many of you think it does. The decision to leave GoW2 (and probably 3) off of PC is from Cliffy B and Epic, not MS.

Aren't MS the publishers though? I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't have any sway in that decision. Cliffy (WTF kind of name is that) is a punk and ought to be slapped down hard anyway.

ViN86
09-28-10, 11:37 AM
Aren't MS the publishers though? I find it difficult to believe they wouldn't have any sway in that decision. Cliffy (WTF kind of name is that) is a punk and ought to be slapped down hard anyway.

Cliffy B is actually the nickname the PC community gave him :lol:

They were all pissy that Gears of War on PC didn't receive as many awards as it did on 360. They added like one extra game type (which wasn't a new concept) and a map or two and wanted the PC gamers/reviewers to splooge all over it. Then when that didn't happen, they got all pissed and said no more Gears of War on PC.

That's just speculation of course. They cited piracy and the fact that they're "committed to the 360" as reasons why. You can read more in these articles (http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&hl=en&rlz=&=&q=no+gears+of+war+2+on+pc&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=CLLF9GhmiTJzMBqWQoAS7w73aCwAAAKoEBU_Qim1t) .