PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel.

ATOJAR
09-28-10, 01:53 AM
Hi fellas.

Im after a good steering wheel that is compatable with my P.C/Win7 x64.

At the moment i have a Logitech Formula Force EX, Now its not to bad but the force feedback is alittle weak.

I have around 100 to spend, Must have good strong force feedback and possibly have gears & clutch.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Sazar
09-28-10, 02:05 AM
If you can get a good deal on the G-27, get it.

I bought mine for $149 brand new.

FlakMagnet
09-28-10, 04:09 AM

I think the G27 cost between 250 and 300 in the UK, so it would have to be a VERY good deal to get one for 100 :D

It might be worth looking for a second hand G25 though. Both the G25 and G27 are fantastic Wheel/Pedal combos. The only thing I wouldn't like about the G27 is that is doesn't support sequential gear shifting using the separate shifter - only 'H' shifting. G25 supports both 'H' and sequential on the separate shifter. Although both wheels support sequential shifting using the paddals on the wheel.

I own a G25, and I must say it is a supurb wheel.

Sazar
09-28-10, 07:40 AM
I think the G27 cost between 250 and 300 in the UK, so it would have to be a VERY good deal to get one for 100 :D

It might be worth looking for a second hand G25 though. Both the G25 and G27 are fantastic Wheel/Pedal combos. The only thing I wouldn't like about the G27 is that is doesn't support sequential gear shifting using the separate shifter - only 'H' shifting. G25 supports both 'H' and sequential on the separate shifter. Although both wheels support sequential shifting using the paddals on the wheel.

I own a G25, and I must say it is a supurb wheel.

The reason Logitech got rid of the sequential shift on the H-gate is because it would get loose over time between the dual-modes. The gates are a lot better and the wheel itself has a superior helical geared setup so it is much smoother and quieter than before. Plus the buttons are done up better and from what I can tell, the pedals are a lot more adjustable. I would highly recommend a G-27 over a G-25.

If you want to do shifting outside of standard h-gate, use the paddles :D

ATOJAR
09-28-10, 08:06 AM

Wow! ... 94 for a G27, I wish .... Im struggling to find the G25 at all here in the UK.

EDIT:- Man i cant seem to find a G25 here in the UK anywhere!

ATOJAR
09-28-10, 10:18 AM
Hmmm, I may just get the Logitech Driving Force GT ... I can pick on up for around 70.99.

ATOJAR
09-29-10, 07:29 PM
Well as the G27 cost well over 200 here in the UK & i didnt want a second hand G25, I looked around, Read reviews and decided to go with a Logitech Driving Force GT.

Its a never wheel than the G25 & apparently Logitech have taken the technology from the G25, Tweaked it & implemented it into this wheel.

Really please with it so far, Works well with ToCA 3, SHIFT & DiRT 2.

The feedback is really strong, Its very accurate and a major step-up compared to my old Formula Force EX, You can feel the difference in road/terrain types. Asphalt feels like asphalt, Loose gravle feels like loose gravel & so on with grass, water ect. When your in mid air from a jump the wheel goes really loose.

I was in a race(dirt 2), Got hit and span out from the back end i could actually feel the back end comming round as i lost it, i knew exactly what was happeng i could feel it all without even looking behind me! God knows how they have managed all the different sensations. All my racing games and now 100% more fun than with the EX, The 900 degrees of rotation helps alot too.

http://www.dvhardware.net/news/logitech_driving_force_gt_wheel.jpg

sonac
10-11-10, 12:30 PM
You might want to increase your budget a little bit over 100 and get a Fanatec Carrera (http://www.fanatecwheel.com/porsche-911-carrera-wheel), it's a great deal for the money and comes with an H-shifter.

Oh, I just realized you already bought a wheel, sorry.

sonac
10-12-10, 05:26 AM
I don't know...for me Fanatec's shifter is good, not better or worse than Logitech's. It has its pros and cons.

Bman212121
10-12-10, 08:11 AM
Grats on the wheel ATOJAR! :D

ATOJAR
10-12-10, 02:53 PM
Grats on the wheel ATOJAR! :D

Thanks man. :D

Great wheel so far, Nice smooth, Strong FFB and the wheel feels really well built.

The pedals and pedal base aint quite as well built as the wheel its self but they still do a great job.

Its alot lot better than the Logitech Formula Force EX i had.

Bman212121
10-12-10, 07:38 PM
Thanks man. :D

Great wheel so far, Nice smooth, Strong FFB and the wheel feels really well built.

The pedals and pedal base aint quite as well built as the wheel its self but they still do a great job.

Its alot lot better than the Logitech Formula Force EX i had.

Not sure if they tweaked those since the DFP or not, but they are really soft on the Driving Force Pro. The cheapest mod you can do is just go to the store and buy a sponge. Cut it up and push it underneath the pedals and it will provide a better response when accelerating or braking.

I took one kind of like this: http://www.inkycircus.com/jargon/images/sponge.jpg

The G27 has much more solid pedals on it, but I think those could even stand to be a touch harder to press. (mainly the gas pedal)

Bman212121
10-12-10, 07:43 PM
Nah I think the G25/G27 shifter is much better and you can shift faster with it as well. At least compared to my Fanatec H-Shifter. I can't do competitive laptimes with that plastic nonsense :p

I like the G27's shifter quite a bit, it does feel solid. The only issue that I have is playing GT5:P I tend to use it unrealisitcally. Since there isn't a neutral position sometimes I will shift really slowly into the next gear, or even leave the car into neutral while still accelerating. :lol:

ATOJAR
10-13-10, 08:40 AM
Not sure if they tweaked those since the DFP or not, but they are really soft on the Driving Force Pro. The cheapest mod you can do is just go to the store and buy a sponge. Cut it up and push it underneath the pedals and it will provide a better response when accelerating or braking.

I took one kind of like this: http://www.inkycircus.com/jargon/images/sponge.jpg

The G27 has much more solid pedals on it, but I think those could even stand to be a touch harder to press. (mainly the gas pedal)

Well we hade a couple sponges in the cupboard ... I did as you said and cut two nice neat rectangles out, Popped one behind each pedal .. It felt nice but i wasent able to press the pedals 100% down!

In the logitech control pannel when i pressed the pedals as hard as i could with the sponge in place i could only get the pedals around 90%.

Sazar
10-13-10, 09:23 AM
I like the G27's shifter quite a bit, it does feel solid. The only issue that I have is playing GT5:P I tend to use it unrealisitcally. Since there isn't a neutral position sometimes I will shift really slowly into the next gear, or even leave the car into neutral while still accelerating. :lol:

There is no neutral position?

I haven't messed around with GT-5 but any other game with the H-gate, I can drop the gears into neutral :o

Regarding the other post about pedal feel, I think the accelerator is definitely a little on the lighter side, but not by much. Definitely a lot more feel than most other pedals I have used. I know some people online who changed the springs out to make it a little tougher to push down.

Bman212121
10-13-10, 11:22 AM
There is no neutral position?

I haven't messed around with GT-5 but any other game with the H-gate, I can drop the gears into neutral :o

Regarding the other post about pedal feel, I think the accelerator is definitely a little on the lighter side, but not by much. Definitely a lot more feel than most other pedals I have used. I know some people online who changed the springs out to make it a little tougher to push down.

Yea that might be worth a try.

Guessing since there is no clutch support in GT5:P there really is no reason for the car to be put into neutral. You can't stall the car either so not like you'd have to use it. It almost seems to be though if you were using the controller and pressing shift up or down on that there is a netural position in Gran Turismo, so maybe it just didn't pick up the H-gate correctly. Not sure how you would map that as a button either.

Well we hade a couple sponges in the cupboard ... I did as you said and cut two nice neat rectangles out, Popped one behind each pedal .. It felt nice but i wasent able to press the pedals 100% down!

In the logitech control pannel when i pressed the pedals as hard as i could with the sponge in place i could only get the pedals around 90%.

You might need to angle the front of the sponge slightly. It really shouldn't comprimise the feel too much, but it would put less material underneath the front of the pedal. (The part closer to the pivot point is probably squeezed tightly, but the end of the pedal is probably fine.) I don't know if I have 100% throttle response after doing it either, but most games I don't think it matters.

Sazar
10-13-10, 12:23 PM
Bman/Slawter, is there no support for clutch even in the upcoming final version of GT?

That just seems like a glaring omission :(

Hell, even TDU has proper support for clutch in the game.

Quick420
10-13-10, 12:31 PM
I love my g25,we run the crap out of it every weekend.Never had any problems with it in 2 years.Seems to be a very well built wheel tbh.I use the sequential shifter 90% of the time,but I have been using the paddles for F1.Why not just order from flea-bay if ya cant find what you need near home?

john19055
10-18-10, 08:44 PM
The only thing I don't like about my G25 wheel is that I wish it had more button on the wheel like the G27 but I can't see that being worth spending over $200

Sazar
10-18-10, 09:16 PM
The only thing I don't like about my G25 wheel is that I wish it had more button on the wheel like the G27 but I can't see that being worth spending over $200

The G-27 has a lot more than cosmetic upgrades. If you can get one on a deal like I did (brand-new, for $149), it's a fantastic bargain :D

The new internal mechanism for FFB and overall feel/turn and so forth is so much nicer and the device just feels so much more solid that it's worth a purchase. However, I wouldn't rush out to upgrade over the G-25 if you already have it. That itself is a great device :D