PDA

View Full Version : Phone got wet. :(

Pages : [1] 2

Albo
09-28-10, 07:59 PM
I had a soccer game in the POURING, when I say pouring, I mean Pouring rain, it felt like hail. And we had our stuff in soccer bags, and my phone was in my bag, and water got on the inside and it was wet when i opened it. I'm having some troubles with it now, like the trackball won't go back, and none of the buttons work.

They need to make these things waterproof.

Is there anything I can do now? I heard about putting it and the battery in a close bag of rice and leaving it like in sunlight, should I try that?

bob saget
09-28-10, 08:08 PM
why did you leave you phone in the bag outdoors? also, there isn't a single overhang anywhere round?
damn that sucks :(

ViN86
09-28-10, 08:11 PM
For the future, this is why I always carry an empty ziplock bag with me when I go outside. If it rains, I throw whatever needs to stay dry in it.

There are a few options. Some people put their ovens on the lowest setting and put the phone in there for a few minutes (make sure it's off) to try and dry it out a little. If you do this, be careful, and make sure to take the battery out first.

Albo
09-28-10, 08:26 PM
Well basically this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?p=5626398#post5626398

Well, I had a soccer game, and my phone was in my bag, and it started pouring. And my phone got wet. As soon as I saw it wet, I pulled the battery. When I got home, and put it back in, to see what happened. It was stuck at the Application Permissions screen, so I deleted that app, and restarted the phone, and it booted up find.

I am able to scroll but none of the buttons work.

Once the buttons stopped working, I took it out, and put it in a container of rice.

Any chance it will work again? Warranty is long over, so nothing there. How can I see water damage indicators?

Bearclaw
09-29-10, 09:32 AM
Warranty is long over

How is this possible? Didn't you just get this phone?

Can always try the put rice in a plastic bag with the phone, let it sit overnight. I had a friend drop her BB in a bathtub. I did that for her and it worked the next day.

|MaguS|
09-29-10, 10:44 AM
Warranty doesn't cover liquid damage. Best bet is to stick it in a bag of rice for 24 hours.

DiscipleDOC
09-29-10, 11:27 AM
For the future, this is why I always carry an empty ziplock bag with me when I go outside. If it rains, I throw whatever needs to stay dry in it.

There are a few options. Some people put their ovens on the lowest setting and put the phone in there for a few minutes (make sure it's off) to try and dry it out a little. If you do this, be careful, and make sure to take the battery out first.

That's not what you told bob why you carry that extra ziplock bag.....

:bleh:

ViN86
09-29-10, 11:49 AM

Redneck condom... :bleh:

zoomy942
09-29-10, 12:10 PM
place it over a heater vent (i live in a cold area so im already using the heater in the house) and leave it for a day or 2 - battery out. bet it will work again.

betterdan
09-29-10, 05:39 PM

Redneck condom... :bleh:

:rofl

I agree about the rice in the bag. If you don't mind though could you throw a little lean beef, soy sauce and some peas in with your phone? Might as well make me lunch while you're fixing your phone.
Thanks!

Albo
09-29-10, 06:03 PM
How is this possible? Didn't you just get this phone?

Can always try the put rice in a plastic bag with the phone, let it sit overnight. I had a friend drop her BB in a bathtub. I did that for her and it worked the next day.

My friend gave it to me, he has had it for over a year.

Redeemed
09-29-10, 06:04 PM
My friend gave it to me, he has had it for over a year.

Lesson learned: carry a zip-lock bag with you for situations such as this. :)

Albo
09-29-10, 06:26 PM
Such a terrible week.
Sunday - I was forced to do 177 math problems
Monday - My teacher doesn't check any of them, she just says good.
Tuesday - Pouring rain, didn't play a lot, phone broke, game lost.
Wednesday - Phone still broken, my memory card (SD) broke, while I was trying to put it in, because there was a piece of rice stuck inside of the slot, and I didn't notice it. My glasses broke, the piece on my nose broke.

The rice didn't work, I'm forced to open it up. I need tools, which I don't have.

betterdan
09-29-10, 06:34 PM
Albo if that rice didn't work find a ricer at your school (I'm sure at least one high school kid has one) and leave it in the front seat. If anyone asks what you are doing just tell them you heard rice could help you get the wetness out of your phone.
Please report back

ViN86
09-29-10, 09:21 PM
Do you have insurance on the phone? I always keep insurance for a year just in case **** like this happens. With insurance, it's usually less than $50 to replace.

Bearclaw
09-30-10, 08:29 AM
Forced to do 177 math problems?!

The outrage!

DiscipleDOC
09-30-10, 10:07 AM
Such a terrible week.
Sunday - I was forced to do 177 math problems
Monday - My teacher doesn't check any of them, she just says good.
Tuesday - Pouring rain, didn't play a lot, phone broke, game lost.
Wednesday - Phone still broken, my memory card (SD) broke, while I was trying to put it in, because there was a piece of rice stuck inside of the slot, and I didn't notice it. My glasses broke, the piece on my nose broke.

The rice didn't work, I'm forced to open it up. I need tools, which I don't have.

It could be worse:
Sunday - You could be homeless.
Monday - You could be homeless.
Tuesday - You could be homeless.
Wednesday - You could be homeless.
Thursday - You could be homeless.
Friday - You could be homeless.
Saturday - You could be homeless.

Be thankful for what you have. ;)

Bearclaw
09-30-10, 10:10 AM
It could be worse:
Sunday - You could be homeless.
Monday - You could be raped.
Tuesday - You could be a sex slave.
Wednesday - You could be a child soldier.
Thursday - You could live where their is no freedom.
Friday - You could test positive for HIV from the rape.
Saturday - You could be dying.

eDDiteDD.

betterdan
09-30-10, 11:29 AM
It could be worse:
Sunday - You could be Bearclaw.
Monday - You could be Bob.
Tuesday - You could be Methimpikehoses.
Wednesday - You could be Trivium Nate.
Thursday - You could be Bigman, Shaw.
Friday - You could be Gib.
Saturday - You could be Mel.

eDDiteDD version 2

Bearclaw
09-30-10, 11:38 AM
:lol2: Nicely done.

bob saget
09-30-10, 11:04 PM
Monday would obviously be best day...

Albo
09-30-10, 11:27 PM
Weird day today, good and bad?

Phone WAS working, then now, the standby button acts as the letter "h" and that is the only key that works. Don't know what to do..
My MCAS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Comprehensive_Assessment_System)scor es came back, and by the looks of it I get free tuition to any state/public school to Massachusetts.
I doubt I'll utilize it though, I'm thinking of going to Boston University.

Soccer - Lost 7-0.

But my phone, what do I do now? I left it out in the middle of my room, without rice. Over night and day, and when I got back, I tried it, and it worked. But after going to the store and coming back, it stopped working. The standby button acts as the letter H, and nothing else works.

t3hl33td4rg0n
09-30-10, 11:44 PM
leave it next to a running hair dryer for a while. It could just be a a little moisture that needs to evaporate.

Or take it apart and clean it out... Its not hard, I've had to take mine apart twice now to replace the flex cable.

bob saget
09-30-10, 11:59 PM
what did you have for lunch albo?

betterdan
10-01-10, 04:15 AM
Weird day today, good and bad?

That's because it was Thursday and you could have been Bigman...