PDA

View Full Version : Valve Software Dev Team Chat

Pages : [1] 2

volt
07-28-03, 05:23 PM
Okay guys and gals,

Brian Ewing (Brewskie) over at http://www.pcgnetworks.com has invited us to attend a chat with Valve Software development team to discuss technical aspects of the Source Engine.

As usual, the dev team will be taking questions so please list them here. The questions will be in a form of a list which will be e-mailed to Brian. Valve will then choose the ones they feel they can answer and talk about them live. I KNOW, I KNOW.

Date/Time:
Monday, August 4th 6:00pm EST

IRC information:
irc.half-lifenews.com or irc.pcgnetworks.com
Channel #halflife2news

Valve dev team members:

Ken Birdwell - Senior Software Development Engineer
Jay Stelly - Senior Software Development Engineer
Yahn Bernier - Software Development Engineer
Gary McTaggart - Software Developer and Chris Bokitch

Visit http://www.pcgnetworks.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60 for more information

The Baron
07-28-03, 05:49 PM
Does this mean I get to go and ask questions? :D

volt
07-28-03, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
Does this mean I get to go and ask questions? :D

No. No live questions.

TheTaz
07-28-03, 05:54 PM
Planet Half-Life says the SDK for the engine will be released to "mod developers" before the game ships... does that mean commercial mod developers, or the public too?

If the SDK is released first... how can you test stuff without the game?

Will the SoftImage company be releasing a "GMax" type product along with the release of Half-Life 2?

Thanks,

Taz

jAkUp
07-28-03, 06:06 PM
can we expect multiplayer out of the box?

what is the current status of aa with nvidia cards?

and is the sept. 30 date still looking good?

Sazar
07-28-03, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by volt
No. No live questions.

:eek:

ok... um can I ask baron to ask some dead questions instead then ?

:D

but seriously... is it possible for nvnews to pose questions... and can we have a thread where we all pose questions and the best get picked ?

/me is just wondering.. I mean this thread is perfect for the questions wot ?

Sazar
07-28-03, 06:17 PM
what is the scalabilty of the engine (ie min specs to play @ decent level of IQ/LoD) and what resolutions can we expect to play the game off the bat with some of today's high end systems ?

(i.e. with 9800pro/5900ultra's)

volt
07-28-03, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Sazar
but seriously... is it possible for nvnews to pose questions... and can we have a thread where we all pose questions and the best get picked ?

/me is just wondering.. I mean this thread is perfect for the questions wot ?

This is the thread to pose questions. Best will be chosen. I (or someone else) will ask the questions after Valve looks at our list.

You guys have until Sunday to post and rate them.

Sazar
07-28-03, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by volt
This is the thread to pose questions. Best will be chosen. I (or someone else) will ask the questions after Valve looks at our list.

You guys have until Sunday to post and rate them.

cheers m8 :D

sounds good...

Ruined
07-28-03, 07:52 PM
#1 On Nvidia's nZone site, they recently implied that Half Life 2 is an "The Way It's Meant to be Played" game, by putting their TWIMTBP logo on the same info page that the game is on. Is Half Life 2 being developed in conjunction with Nvidia's TWIMTBP program, and if so, what technical benefits or problems for the engine have Valve developers run into as a result of this program?

#2 It was recently stated by Gary McTaggart that Nvidia cards would be able to perform AA properly on Half Life 2 at the expense of pixel shader bandwidth by using pixel shaders to clamp texture coordinates. If you could estimate, how much of percentage hit would the end user see if this method was employed, assuming Half Life 2's engine was fully optimized for Nvidia's shaders?

gibbz
07-28-03, 10:39 PM
1) will there be a linux client?

2) how much control over the engine do moder have, will we be able to code in custom shaders etc..

3) is it possibly to have waves and stuff for water, if we wanted?(through animated displacment maps or other forum).

gonenb
07-29-03, 01:56 AM
lets have some new intresting questions and not repeat

1) what kind of technology is behind the source , are you using bsp/pvs like quake or something else?

2) how many passes does the engine render ?

3) when you shoot someone , does the engine know the exact place you hit and act accordingly or still use those hit boxes?

4) what kind of shadows do you use?

5) whats books do you recomend for learning 3d and c++ ?

gibbz
07-29-03, 02:48 AM
another few

1) we know hl2 is developed with XSI, will there also be supported files in the sdk(samples of animaitons etc) for the 3ds max users, as in the original hl sdk?

2) why did the dev team decide to use XSI over 3ds max when they have had 3ds max experience in the past, and still alot of users and people now use 3ds max?

hope they make sense :P

Hanners
07-29-03, 07:10 AM
What would you say is going to be the limiting factor regarding performance on a high-end (read current DirectX 9 compliant) system - Is it more likely to be CPU, GPU or PS/VS performance limited?

Is the Source engine designed to scale up beyond what the current generation of video cards are capable of, and if so in what way?

The Baron
07-29-03, 01:53 PM
Will we ever see an OpenGL 1.5 renderer?

ZoinKs!
07-29-03, 01:54 PM
What percentage of pixel and vertex shaders used in HL 2 are dx 9? How much of it is dx 8 or 8.1? Put another way, what difference will I see on screen between dx 8, 8.1, and 9.0 systems?

I know there'll be a large difference between a dx 6 and 9 system, but I'm curious about the differences between the first generations (dx 8 / 8.1) and current generation (dx 9) shader hardware.

reever2
07-29-03, 02:28 PM
Will the version of DX HL2 uses be selectable by the user, or will it be autodetected and cant be changed?

oliversl
07-29-03, 06:37 PM
1) Will the multiplayer mode have the same graphics quality as in single player mode?

In RTCW for example, the textures in multiplayer were a litle low quality compared to single player mode.

2) In HL2 movies, when Gordon activate and object/switch/door, it looks like Gordon is too far away from the object in question.

For example, the doors can be closed from far away. Will this change?

3) Many thanks :cool:

Nv40
07-29-03, 07:17 PM
1) Does HL2 support BUmpmaps ?
i have seen few use (if ANY) of BM in Hl2.. will it be possible to design levels -high quality surfaces + bumpmapping? what about displacement maps? will they be used in a limited way .?

2) for the MOd community ,what are the limits for character modelers in Hl2 ? it is possible to create -hundreds of thousands- polygon models in 3danimations packages and import and use them in Hl2 MOds?

3) will HL2 support other animation packages..(MAYA,3dmax)?

Philibob
07-29-03, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Nv40
3) will HL2 support other animation packages..(MAYA,3dmax)?

From http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?go=source_mod_faq

What program is being used for Half-Life 2 modeling?

We use XSI. We're working with Softimage to release a free version of XSI over Steam*. We will provide exporters for XSI, 3DS Max, and Maya.

We’ll also package up all of the custom Half-Life 2 XSI add-ons and make them freely available to people who are already using XSI.

* It will probably be available through some non-Steam delivery method as well.

volt
07-30-03, 01:55 AM
So far we got:

(Note that about 10 questions out of the ones you like the most will be chosen)

1. Planet Half-Life says the SDK for the engine will be released to "mod developers" before the game ships... does that mean commercial mod developers, or the public too?

2. If the SDK is released first... how can you test stuff without the game?

3. Will the SoftImage company be releasing a "GMax" type product along with the release of Half-Life 2?

4. Can we expect multiplayer out of the box?

5. What is the current status of aa with nvidia cards?

6. Is the sept. 30 date still looking good?

7. What is the scalabilty of the engine (ie min specs to play @ decent level of IQ/LoD) and what resolutions can we expect to play the game off the bat with some of today's high end systems i.e. with 9800pro/5900ultra's?

8. On Nvidia's nZone site, they recently implied that Half Life 2 is an "The Way It's Meant to be Played" game, by putting their TWIMTBP logo on the same info page that the game is on. Is Half Life 2 being developed in conjunction with Nvidia's TWIMTBP program, and if so, what technical benefits or problems for the engine have Valve developers run into as a result of this program?

9. It was recently stated by Gary McTaggart that Nvidia cards would be able to perform AA properly on Half Life 2 at the expense of pixel shader bandwidth by using pixel shaders to clamp texture coordinates. If you could estimate, how much of percentage hit would the end user see if this method was employed, assuming Half Life 2's engine was fully optimized for Nvidia's shaders?

10. Will there be a Linux version?

11. How much control over the engine do modders have, will we be able to code in custom shaders etc...

12. Is it possible to have waves and stuff for water, if we wanted? (through animated displacment maps or other form).

13. What kind of technology is behind the source , are you using bsp/pvs like quake or something else?

14. How many passes does the engine render ?

15. When you shoot someone, does the engine know the exact place you hit and act accordingly or does it still use hit boxes?

16. What kind of shadows do you use?

17. Whats books do you recomend for learning 3D and C++ ?

18. We know HL2 is developed with XSI, will there also be supported files in the sdk(samples of animaitons etc) for the 3ds max users, as in the original hl sdk?

19. Why did the dev team decide to use XSI over 3ds max when they have had 3ds max experience in the past, and still alot of users and people now use 3ds max?

20. What would you say is going to be the limiting factor regarding performance on a high-end (read current DirectX 9 compliant) system - Is it more likely to be CPU, GPU or PS/VS performance limited?

21. Is the Source engine designed to scale up beyond what the current generation of video cards are capable of, and if so in what way?

22. What percentage of pixel and vertex shaders used in HL2 are DX9? How much of it is DX8 or 8.1? Put another way, what difference will I see on screen between DX8, 8.1, and 9.0 systems?

23. I know there'll be a large difference between a DX6 and 9 system, but I'm curious about the differences between the first generations (DX8 / 8.1) and current generation (DX9) shader hardware.

24. Will the version of DX HL2 uses be selectable by the user, or will it be autodetected and cant be changed?

25. Will the multiplayer mode have the same graphics quality as in single player mode?

26. Does HL2 support BUmpmaps ?
i have seen few use (if ANY) of BM in Hl2.. will it be possible to design levels -high quality surfaces + bumpmapping? what about displacement maps? will they be used in a limited way ?

27. For the Mod community, what are the limits for character modelers in HL2 ? it is possible to create -hundreds of thousands- polygon models in 3danimations packages and import and use them in HL2 Mods?

aapo
07-31-03, 05:52 PM
Many engines, e.g. Q3 engine, are supposed to have the same problem with MSAA as HL2, but the artifacts in antialiasing are almost non-visible. How bad would the visual artifacts in HL2 be if MSAA would be forced on, compared to other games?

gibbz
07-31-03, 07:16 PM
1) will hl2 come with multiplayer bots either in a patch or out of the box?

2) wil hl2 be patched when/if openGL1.5 is released(i jsut read some info on it so it could be soon?)

3. Will the SoftImage company be releasing a "GMax" type product along with the release of Half-Life 2?

yeah its softimage XSI, you can also get it off the website free atm ;)

volt
08-03-03, 04:26 AM
This is it guys. Out of all the questions, please choose 10 that you feel are most important ones to ask.

StealthHawk
08-03-03, 04:35 AM
From the list you posted, in no particular order of importance

7, 9, 16, 19, 20, 22, 26, 3, 8

I also liked this question: "Many engines, e.g. Q3 engine, are supposed to have the same problem with MSAA as HL2, but the artifacts in antialiasing are almost non-visible. How bad would the visual artifacts in HL2 be if MSAA would be forced on, compared to other games?"