PDA

View Full Version : Running backward + shooting = bad

ragejg
09-30-10, 03:56 PM
:rofl

http://kotaku.com/5652224/running-backwards-while-shooting-a-shotgun-is-a-bad-idea-in-real-life

bob saget
09-30-10, 04:13 PM
way too many morons in this world.
what would possess a person to run backwards and shoot a weapon is beyond me. he should check if the grenades in call of duty have a realistic blast radius :bleh:

Drolfrawd
09-30-10, 04:26 PM
way too many morons in this world.
what would possess a person to run backwards and shoot a weapon is beyond me. he should check if the grenades in call of duty have a realistic blast radius :bleh:

:rofl
+1 for morons

ragejg
09-30-10, 04:37 PM
Way to miss the point of what he was doing. :rolleyes:

:p

Point is, some game devs might oughtta take his experience into account; he was braver (and maybe a bit stupider, lol) than most of us for actually trying this out.

Phyre
09-30-10, 04:53 PM
Walking backwards and shooting (AR-15) is hard enough. Think distances of about 25 yards max to the target. You have to control the shots. For me, fully automatic fire in games is way too accurate.

ViN86
09-30-10, 05:06 PM
Don't worry, Darwin will get this guy. He always gets his idiot.

bacon12
09-30-10, 05:10 PM
Walking backwards and shooting (AR-15) is hard enough. Think distances of about 25 yards max to the target. You have to control the shots. For me, fully automatic fire in games is way too accurate.

This I completely agree with, and love mods that add back some recoil.

bob saget
09-30-10, 06:07 PM
Way to miss the point of what he was doing. :rolleyes:

Point is, some game devs might oughtta take his experience into account; he was braver (and maybe a bit stupider, lol) than most of us for actually trying this out.

this is the point i was making with the mafia 2 game. Realism DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean fun. If they make an FPS that's more realistic, i couldn't give a rat's ass. All i want is for it to be enjoyable. IF in this game I can move backwards, and IF in this game I can be attacked while moving backwards, then IMO I SHOULD be able to defend myself (while moving backwards). This isn't the Gaza Strip, it's a video game.

Logical
09-30-10, 10:39 PM
this is the point i was making with the mafia 2 game. Realism DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean fun. If they make an FPS that's more realistic, i couldn't give a rat's ass. All i want is for it to be enjoyable. IF in this game I can move backwards, and IF in this game I can be attacked while moving backwards, then IMO I SHOULD be able to defend myself (while moving backwards). This isn't the Gaza Strip, it's a video game.

+1
Most games are not supposed to be as realistic as real is, it takes the fun out of it.

ragejg
09-30-10, 10:50 PM
Well put, gentlemen. :thumbsup:

I agree, BUT it's nice when some new real-life details seep into games (the visceral feeling of running in Mirror's Edge, problematic guns in Far Cry 2, cracking mask in Metro 2033 etc.) ... have there been any that have been rejected or poorly received? I can't come up with anything specific at the moment, but maybe there are some examples out there...

bob saget
09-30-10, 10:57 PM
problematic guns = retarded imo. STALKER did the same thing....
cracking mask = fine. it didnt interfere to much with gameplay, just made you extra careful. on medium difficulty my mask was never in trouble.
fixing broken car in far cry 2= again annoying

i really wanna try mirrors edge....

ViN86
09-30-10, 11:55 PM
Let's bump up the realism. You get one life. Ever. You buy the game and die online, then you can no longer play online.

There are no respawns in RL.

bob saget
10-01-10, 12:00 AM
Let's bump up the realism. You get one life. Ever. You buy the game and die online, then you can no longer play online.

There are no respawns in RL.

and then when you die in-game, a huge biker named betterdan comes to your house and scalps you.

ragejg
10-01-10, 12:21 AM
No, he's riding teh BobSaget. 26" 18 speeds, worn out frame with an odd Russo-Vancouverian sense of humor. :p

bob saget
10-01-10, 12:30 AM
No, he's riding teh BobSaget. 26" 18 speeds, worn out frame with an odd Russo-Vancouverian sense of humor. :p

:lol: oh man, just when i think i heard everything.

ragejg
10-01-10, 05:29 AM
We established a long time ago that you are indeed a (community) bicycle. I really don't understand why this is news to you. :bleh:

FastRedPonyCar
10-01-10, 10:01 AM
I LOL'd

requiring every encounter to result in a running-backwards Benny Hill-style comedy adventure.

Logical
10-01-10, 10:41 AM
I see Rage's point...CoD4 introduced bullets going through walls just like in real life, although there was no damage to environments (like there is in bfbc2) the idea worked and added to the gameplay...fortunatly not all walls can be wallbanged xD

I think dev's should defo use environmental destruction in all fps games..a map should not be the same as it started out at the beginning of a war.