PDA

View Full Version : Guys I have a weird issue

v3rninater
10-02-10, 06:27 AM
Well it seems my new SSD or the WD HD I recently got are not the issue. But it seems weird so maybe one of you all will have a solution. After about 20-30 minutes of use usually surfing the web (with mozilla and adblock enabled) the system will start to hang, as if something is going on like a program is loading. But nothing is loading or opening, it's like something on the motherboard is being shut off, but yet with the new SSD I shut off all the power options that would turn something off.

So it's weird, it's not an HD issue which I thought it was, so help me to eliminate this issue! Could it be ram, or mobo-proc, or PSU? I don't know...video card!?

Vardant
10-02-10, 06:50 AM
Is it a random pause of 3-4 seconds? If so, then it's Windows 7. I think there's a fix for it now.

grey_1
10-02-10, 08:46 AM
Kind of hard to tell from your sig which hdd is your boot disc, but if it's the SSD you have indexing and search disabled? Verified TRIM is on?

If so, use process hacker (http://processhacker.sourceforge.net/) to make sure nothing is running hidden that you don't want.

EDIT: Also check out this thread.
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/2b548828-67b0-4842-8849-d4225bb9526d

Disabling HID access in services also seems to clear up some problems on occasion.

v3rninater
10-02-10, 03:13 PM
Grey, I have those disabled, but the same issue ocurred on my WD hd, so its not a hd issue at all. The issue requires I hard reboot the system. Its like it never comes out of a process its trying to do. I wonder if it could be spyware doc. Ill do some more testing tonight.

Redeemed
10-02-10, 07:20 PM
Oooh... I had something similar happen.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out what it was... untill I checked my RAM usage and noticed all 4GB near full, and my pagefile getting heavy use.

Used the processes tab in task manager to see what was eating up all my RAM and virtual memory- the WMP networking service, it's used to share your media between computers, was the guilty party.

This service is enabled by default, whether your on a network w/homegroup or not. Check to see if that is what's going on. Might be something entirely different, but I had the exact same thing happening- system just came to a crawl doing basic stuff. Disabling this service fixed it for me. :)

v3rninater
10-02-10, 10:33 PM
Well I *think* I figured it out, but I'm gonna test out the fix. Spyware doctor's behavior guard is really glitchy with a lot of programs, so I disabled it. It seems to be working because I've been doing lots of things for a long while and nothing so far.

Is there a way to verify indexing, search, and all the other stuff is not running? I can't find ready boost, so what I did was disable superfetch.

Redeemed
10-02-10, 11:26 PM
Well I *think* I figured it out, but I'm gonna test out the fix. Spyware doctor's behavior guard is really glitchy with a lot of programs, so I disabled it. It seems to be working because I've been doing lots of things for a long while and nothing so far.

Is there a way to verify indexing, search, and all the other stuff is not running? I can't find ready boost, so what I did was disable superfetch.

Had a feeling it was some piece of software that was just hogging up resources. Superfetch = readyboost in Win7. :)

JasonPC
10-03-10, 01:27 AM
I don't suggest disabling indexing/searching on SSDs but rather just limiting it to a few select locations (Outlook, Start Menu, Users). The search bar in the start menu uses it and it's a requirement to have indexing enabled I believe for searching in Outlook (if you use that for email). Readyboost and Superfetch should already be configured appropriately when Win7 detects it's running on a SSD.