PDA

View Full Version : GTX/GTS 460 For BD

Pages : [1] 2

seeker
10-02-10, 10:49 PM
I can't be too specific, because I'm uncertain as to how to best solve my problem. I just got a new LG Blu Ray Combo drive, but am unable to play a Blue Ray movie...it only displays a black screen. I ran the Cyberlink BD Advisor, and it gave the screenshots below. Since I'm not currently interested or able to deal with 3D, I suspect that the primary problem is shown on the first screenshot, being that I'm lacking HDCP with my old BFG 7800GT, even though the specs that I have found for it says that it is HDCP okay.

I only have a DVI to DVI connection, because my Acer X233H monitor doesn't work with a DVI to HDMI cable, and the graphics card doesn't have a HDMI connector.

I'm probably wrong, but it seems that I vaguely recall discussions in the past, regarding some kind of regedit to cause it to work okay, but that may have only been for sound purposes, rather than HDCP.

If there is no way to may my old video card work, I intend to replace it with a new card with HDMI on it, such as those mentioned in the thread title, and would like any suggestions that would help me to decide which to get. I understand that the GTX would be better for gaming purposes, but that really isn't a factor for me. Would the GTS do as well for BD performance?

JasonPC
10-02-10, 11:17 PM
I assume you mean the GTS 450 and GTX 460. They are both fine for BD playback. For a 460 you might need to be concerned about power consumption. A 450 only needs one 6-pin PEG connector while the 460 requires two. Both are significantly faster than the 7800. I think there are ways around HDCP, but it requires using another program than PowerDVD (AnyDVDHD I think). I believe cards around the era of the 7800 were pretty flaky about HDCP even if some claimed they supported it, I suspect because the technology was very new at the time. A DVI connection also should work fine for playing HDCP content.

seeker
10-02-10, 11:34 PM
Correct, regarding the typo. I haven't tried AnyDVDHD, but I did try one other software program, without any improvement, but I'll give that one a shot.

Going back to the GTS/GTX portion, there is about $30 difference in price between them, which I would spend, if I thought it might help on this, or something else down the road. Power shouldn't be an issue, but would the 460 stand out in a fashion that a basic user such as myself would notice?

JasonPC
10-02-10, 11:44 PM
The 460 is a pretty good value for not much extra cash. But you do have to consider that with both cards you're going to be very CPU limited. But if you plan on upgrading your CPU eventually, you'll see the best performance out of the 460. If you don't really plan on upgrading the CPU I'd say stick with the 450.

seeker
10-03-10, 02:16 AM
I will probably upgrade the CPU, but not very soon, because that would require a CPU, motherboard & ram bundle, which I would prefer not to pay the price for at the moment. However limited the 460 might be, I assume that it would still outperform the old 7800.

I installed the trial for AnyDVD a bit ago, and I was somewhat confused, because it seemed to only work as a backend for WinDVD, rather than it's own player. I also tried using PowerDVD again, but it still displays the same error window as before.

I doubt that I will buy AnyDVD, because it's pretty expensive in itself and has to be relicensed periodically. I would prefer to only pay once by upgrading the video card instead.

The only other alternative would be if there is some other software that would accomplish what AnyDVD did, only at a cheaper price?

wheeljack12
10-03-10, 02:51 AM
the only other software out there for bd playback that is comparable is arcsoft's truetheatre. But with arcsoft, you have to buy the simhd pack, then if you ever go 3d, the sim3d pack. If all you are concerned with is bd playback, stick with powerdvd. They gave users 3d playback of bd and dvd for free in the mark 2 powerdvd 10 patch. And it already upscales dvd's to hd afaik. As for graphics, if you are just interested in bd playback then gts 450 will be fine. If you are gaming and/or doing more video wise, then the gtx 460 is the best idea.

btw, here is a comparison of the two cards:

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=634&card2=632

seeker
10-03-10, 03:04 AM
I think that I will go with the EVGA 01G-P3-1452-TR GeForce GTS 450 SuperClocked . From the specs it appears to outperform the 460 that I have checked and it's cheaper.

Maybe the reason that I'm getting the errors trying to use PowerDVD is because I only have PowerDVD 8 Ultra. I thought that it had BD capability, but if it does, I can't make it work.

ragejg
10-03-10, 03:16 AM
Outperform a 460? Nope. Unless you're just talking about power consumption?

seeker
10-03-10, 03:22 AM
It probably depends on the versions involved, but here are the ones that I'm comparing, and the 450 has more memory and clock speeds than the 460:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6655890&Sku=E145-0450

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6488427&CatId=3670

newparad1gm
10-03-10, 12:50 PM
The 460 still has 336 stream processors compared to the 450's 192. The 460 still outclasses the 450 in terms of pure computing power, even if the 450 is clocked higher, and the 460 has plenty of overclocking headroom itself. If all you want to do is do BD playback, you don't even need to look at these cards. A 9600 GT or GT 240 will do nicely for much cheaper.

bacon12
10-03-10, 01:10 PM
I use a $30 radeon HD 3450 on my media machine. Handles every video format I have thrown at it with ease. I play BR thru Pwr Dvd 9 all the time, that 460 should be loafing. Its the best buy I have ever made for the money, HDMI out fanless. Can't beat it IMO.

I did have one problem a while back and pwr dvd wouldn't update, and I emailed support for the latest build.

JasonPC
10-03-10, 01:22 PM
The 450 also uses a 128-bit memory interface, a little bit lower than that 460's 192-bit. So the 460 should get higher memory bandwidth.

seeker
10-03-10, 02:25 PM
newparad1gm,

Hmm, I think I fallen back into my old character flaw...thinking about too many possibilities at once. I like the 9600GT for just one reason, it appears to be low profile, taking only one slot space, but I'm not sure about everything else. Would it actually be a step up from my BFG7800GT OC?

DSC
10-03-10, 03:48 PM
I'd suggest you wait for the GT 430. It won't be a gaming powerhouse like the GTX 460, but it will have all the HTPC capabilities, like the VP4 hardware decoder that offloads all H.264, VC-1 and MPEG-2 decoding to the GPU, HD audio processor that supports full HD Audio bitstreaming and HDCP compliant outputs.

Anandtech reviewed a HTPC SFF system with the GT 425M(same GF108 GPU as the GT 430 except lower clocked) and wrote briefly about the GF108 GPU so you can get an idea of what it can do.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3954/asrocks-highend-vision-3d-htpc-reviewed/6

seeker
10-03-10, 04:02 PM
You may be right, but waiting is not one of my virtues...at least not after I get in the mood. I have run into a wall finding the 450 super clock with a lifetime warranty. Even though EVGA says that it is available, all that I've found have part # ending with TR, rather than AR, which is the lifetime version. The MSRP is ~ the same as the lowest prices on the TRs, so there is no point in settling for less.

Still, from a quick glance at your link, I didn't see anything to indicate what kind of wait would be involved with the GT 430?

DSC
10-03-10, 04:06 PM
It will be released in 1-2 weeks time, most review sites should be getting their review samples soon I believe. And the GT 430 is clocked much much higher, 700+Mhz core compared to the GT 425M so the gaming performance is higher since it's not TDP constrainted like the GT 425M.

But if you need 1080P res gaming then you'll need a higher end GPU like the GTX 460 or GTS 450.

seeker
10-03-10, 06:03 PM
I'm probably going to wait for the GTS 450 Super Clock, because when I rechecked on the EVGA website, I found that it was backordered for the AR version. They didn't say when it would be available, but I submitted a notification request.

newparad1gm
10-03-10, 07:14 PM
newparad1gm,

Hmm, I think I fallen back into my old character flaw...thinking about too many possibilities at once. I like the 9600GT for just one reason, it appears to be low profile, taking only one slot space, but I'm not sure about everything else. Would it actually be a step up from my BFG7800GT OC?

The 9600 GT definitely will be a step up from your 7800 GT. Its also low power consumption, while still retaining enough oomph to play most modern games, but at lower resolutions and detail levels. But as another member here said, if you can wait, the 430 shouldn't be a bad choice either. It just seems that a GTS 450 would be overkill if all you are doing is Blu-Ray playback. Even my Geforce 9300 equipped HTPC does 1080p Blu-Ray playback flawlessly.

john19055
10-04-10, 03:39 AM
If you plan on playing games too and a CPU upgrade in the future then go with a GTX 460 even the 768mb model is going to be faster then a overclock GTS 450.

nekrosoft13
10-04-10, 07:57 AM
I installed the trial for AnyDVD a bit ago, and I was somewhat confused, because it seemed to only work as a backend for WinDVD, rather than it's own player. I also tried using PowerDVD again, but it still displays the same error window as before.

I doubt that I will buy AnyDVD, because it's pretty expensive in itself and has to be relicensed periodically. I would prefer to only pay once by upgrading the video card instead.

The only other alternative would be if there is some other software that would accomplish what AnyDVD did, only at a cheaper price?

1) AnyDVD is for DVD only, AnyDVD HD is for DVD, BD and HD-DVD.

2) Its not a player, what it does it removes all forms of DRM from the disc on the fly in the background. don't have to worry about HDCP, BD+ etc... it also can rip disc to HDD, remove trailers, disable java on BD, remove region protection etc...

3) because BD keeps changing and SONY and BD group keeps adding new versions of DRM, AnyDVD HD has to be updated often, there is a new beta every few days.

4) update is about 6MB and quick and painless

5) this is completly false "and has to be relicensed periodically." there is lifetime license option, you pay once and your good.

6) the only similar program is DVDFab HD, but it lacks one major feature. It DOES NOT REMOVE DRM ON THE FLY, with DVDFab HD you have to rip the disc to HDD or reburn them without DRM.

ryoohki
10-07-10, 05:00 PM
Anydvd is great for Regionless universal player. That what i use it for. Some use it to ISO turn movies but it's too long to do (i have over 150 movies without TV series) and eat too much space, so i keep them on disc (i bought BD for PQ and AQ so i'am not going to scrap that with AVI).

Anyway there's a one time fee, it's not cheap, but it provide update as long as the company lives..

seeker
10-08-10, 08:19 PM
Curious! I received a response from EVGA about my notification request for the AR lifetime warranty version of the GTS 450 Super Clock, and it said that it is now available, but the link in the email took me to a page that still displayed a notification request button, instead of a buy button. Figuring that they just hadn't updated their website yet, I went back again, a bit earlier, and that model no longer was listed at all. So I sent another email to EVGA for clarification, and just got another saying that it is not available, nor ever will be. I love it when businesses are so on the ball.

Now, I doubt that I will go for the GTS 450 at all, but will need to consider which that I will get.

wheeljack12
10-09-10, 04:07 PM
here is the o/c version by zotac. I know that zotac offers lifetime warranties on all their cards. Not that I don't like evga more, I do. just that their gts 450's have 2 year warranties instead.

http://www.zotacusa.com/amp-geforce-gtx-450-1gb-128-bit-810mhz-4000mhz-zt-40502-10l.html

seeker
10-09-10, 04:30 PM
here is the o/c version by zotac. I know that zotac offers lifetime warranties on all their cards. Not that I don't like evga more, I do. just that their gts 450's have 2 year warranties instead.

http://www.zotacusa.com/amp-geforce-gtx-450-1gb-128-bit-810mhz-4000mhz-zt-40502-10l.html

Hmm, that's interesting, thanks. I don't know anything about Zotac, but with a lifetime warranty, it should be okay. I noticed that in addition to the connectors that EVGA's card has, this one also has a DP connector, but I have no idea of what that is?

I have yet to find a price for it. I did find a similar card on eBay, but it wasn't the AMP version, and had some differences in specs and connectors.

seeker
10-28-10, 02:36 PM
It'a more than I need, but I went ahead and ordered this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6594571