PDA

View Full Version : HTC Wildfire tommorow

HiCZoK4
10-03-10, 09:46 AM
Hi guys. I am finally going to pick up new phone tomorrow (there might be a day or two of delay becouse of shopping package)

Its all went down to HTC Wildfire, becouse its cheap and sports and android 2,1 together with good captivate touch and all I need. Its kinda Desires small brother. I was toying with it and it seems ok. Nothing mindblowing, but does what it should correctly.

I created this thread becouse maybe someone has some final warning or somethinw I should be aware off?...

But real thing now. I never owned a smartphone (android phone either)
What I should know about? What are usefull apps and fun games etc? Any usage tips and stuff?
I am quite excited about owning smartphone faster than my first pc soo.... ;)

Lyme
10-03-10, 08:21 PM
Angry birds is good.

HiCZoK4
10-04-10, 02:17 AM
Wait ?... WHAT?!

Lyme
10-04-10, 09:41 AM
Wait ?... WHAT?!

Sheesh, kids these days..

http://www.rovio.com/index.php?page=angry-birds

HiCZoK4
10-04-10, 03:53 PM
There seems to be an delivery delay... I hope it will come tomorrow !

btw. Angry birds are great :lol: Are AB avaible on Android? :lol:

Lyme
10-04-10, 07:20 PM
Should be soon, it is a really entertaining game.

HiCZoK4
10-05-10, 11:40 AM
YAY ive got it!..unpacking now. Really nice phone. nice and sturdy design, rubber and metal mostly. Seems very well builded.

HiCZoK4
10-05-10, 03:02 PM
alllright.... Its all great etc. But thats quite a jump for me from stock Sony Ericsson os :P
The Android 2.1 is quite intuitive anyway... but
I need help with almost everything.

1.How do I handle multitaksing, memory, battery, switch beetween backgrounds programs etc etc.
2.I logged into Android Market. Need names for good apps, Divx player for movies etc etc
3. And how the hell do i put this thing into Silent mode quick way?

and everything else that comes to Your mind that I might need.

HiCZoK4
10-06-10, 02:14 PM
anyone? please?(sofahide)

bob saget
10-06-10, 02:26 PM
anyone? please?(sofahide)

have no idea, dont have a smartphone. keep bugging people and eventually someone will offer advice :D

HiCZoK4
10-06-10, 04:27 PM
naahh allright. I think I am doing fine anyway :bleh:

currently solving divx and its choppy. So I guess I will just convert to mp4.... :bleh:

Maverick123w
10-06-10, 04:40 PM
alllright.... Its all great etc. But thats quite a jump for me from stock Sony Ericsson os :P
The Android 2.1 is quite intuitive anyway... but
I need help with almost everything.

1.How do I handle multitaksing, memory, battery, switch beetween backgrounds programs etc etc.
2.I logged into Android Market. Need names for good apps, Divx player for movies etc etc
3. And how the hell do i put this thing into Silent mode quick way?

and everything else that comes to Your mind that I might need.

Don't get a task killer. Rule #1 about android 2.1 and above. As far as battery life keep the screen around 70% brightness or below and you should be good.

HiCZoK4
10-07-10, 02:35 AM
Why not to use task killer ? So I should delete "advanced task killer" ?

HiCZoK4
10-09-10, 02:19 AM
So Do I need to manage memory somehow or not?

Maverick123w
10-09-10, 09:54 AM
So Do I need to manage memory somehow or not?

No, Android manages itself just fine, and yes remove ATK. It will just cause more problems than it ever resolves.

Stoneyguy
10-09-10, 02:07 PM
I say keep task killer just don't use it as a kill-all. Task Killer is good to free up memory if you have a ton of apps running and you know some apps can be killed safely to free up memory.

snowmanwithahat
10-10-10, 01:30 AM
well, I'd agree on keeping the task killer. I use the built in one (not ATK, but samsung built in a special one) for killing off games that I know i'm done with, etc. Use it only in a manual way, because Mav is right, Android does really have some great memory management, but it doesn't hurt to have that user-control for specific situations

As far as multi-tasking there's a few ways of looking at it;

If you're in an app, and you hit the back button until you get to the home screen, you just effectively killed off that app....
If you're in an app and hit the home button, you basically minimized it, next time you hit the app icon you will be brought back to the same spot that you were in the app if it supports that.... for example "Angry Birds" doesn't and just takes me to a new game, but the browser does, leaving your page intact

Android basics.... the "Settings" or "Menu" button are context-sensitive, they only bring up the menu for that selected app
The "Home" button isn't context-sensitive and will always bring you home
The "Back" button is context-sensitive and it will take you to the last spot you were in the app, until finally it kills off the app returning to the home screen
The "search" button is context-sensitive most of the time... the only time it encompasses all search categories (music, web, contacts) is when you press it from the home screen.

Android actually is very intuitive when you get to know how it works. I find it far more useful than iOS anything just because of the multitasking and the ability to specify back one menu through a dedicated button instead of relying on software developers to add the needed navigation to an on-screen menu.

If you're running into battery life issues check out "Juice Defender". It will kill off your 3g radio and only start it up again every 15 minutes to let apps sync, if you're pushing over 50k/15seconds in traffic, or if you unlock the screen. It's given me a fairly significant jump in battery life just from using the free version.

Please note that this will interfere with apps like Pandora... but that's the only one I've found. You will still get your email (every 15 minutes) and it doesn't affect texts or calls because those don't rely on 3g data. You can actually fix the Pandora issue if you have the paid version which lets you selectively allow apps to keep the 3g alive, but the easiest thing is to just kill juice defender if you're using pandora

also another general tip, just use wifi if you have it available to you, it sips less power than your 3g radio will