PDA

View Full Version : FX 5900 issue

Johaan
07-29-03, 12:39 AM
I recently bought a Gainward FX 5900 (256MB) VidC. I hadn't been able to use it though because somehow my 550W TrueControl PowerSuppy wasn't enough. Yet I installed another 550W PS (Enermax) and finally I stopped getting the "Sentinel driver Power Indicator error message" that wouldn't let me get into any 3d APp.

I don't know what happened but at least I could now work with my 5900. But to my surprise the 5900 isn't performing as I expected.

First off the card starts making a very small "chime-like" noise every time I minimize/maximize a window or scroll in either direction with the mouse wheel.

Soon after the images on the screen start getting distorted everytime I move something on the screen, to the point that I can't recoginze any character on the screen. I have to wait for the screen to go "black" (as if I were changing the resolution) and back on again.

And this happens over and over. And don't even get me started on 3d applications. While Things don't get jumbled on any 3d app or game, it does freezes it for like 10 to 15 sec. and then I can continue using it, but only for like 3 to 5 min. 'till it happens again.

It's getting rather frustrating and 3 different drivers haven't been able to solve the issue.

Has anyone experienced similar problems?

Specs:
Intel I850 chipset board
1 Gb Ram
Win XP
4X Agp slot.

jAkUp
07-29-03, 12:44 AM
do you have the latest bios??? and did you format before you installed your card?

Malfunction
07-29-03, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
do you have the latest bios??? and did you format before you installed your card?

Ya, for the most part... that is a safe bet. I've read alot in here with people always saying "Why do you need to reformat everytime you get a new videocard? That is just stupid." Although the truth of the matter is this, some people do not know how to uninstall drivers properly or make sure a different IHV's driver files are not remaining on your system.

Most people know more about reformatting than installing new drivers... atleast in my experience. Sad but true, you may wanna do that to be on the safe side.

Good luck,

:)

simwiz2
07-29-03, 01:01 AM
did you plug in the power connector?

Johaan
07-29-03, 01:01 AM
ok, I would really hate reformatting but if that's the only way.....
Another Q though, arent' the detonator drivers supposed to work for all GeForce Cards? (I upgraded from a GeForce 3 to an FX).
Cuz if they were, wouldn't the uninstalling process be unnecessary?

Johaan
07-29-03, 01:03 AM
Yes I did plug in the P connector. And I beilive it's working since I'm no longer getting the "Sentinel driver detects that there is insufficient power....." message.

jAkUp
07-29-03, 01:29 AM
nonono... they use the same driver sets, not the same drivers.. the inf file it uses is different, you definetely need to remove the drivers first