PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA selling their own cards in the retail space?

ragejg
10-04-10, 07:35 PM
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1551718

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/7434/504574701101893fe6faz.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8869/50457466519e031a987ab.jpg

I'm half expecting some sort of announcement from NVIDIA regarding this.

ragejg
10-04-10, 09:09 PM
NVIDIA's Bryan Del Rizzo speaks to NV News regarding NVIDIA retail cards:

NVIDIA and Best Buy are working together to offer PC customers the opportunity to experience firsthand the latest in PC technologies right inside Best Buy stores. As part of this broad initiative, NVIDIA is supplying to Best Buy specific GeForce models built and supported by NVIDIA. These products will only be available at Best Buy and will complement GeForce products from our partners. We will provide more details on this next week.

Broad initiative, interesting...

I'll provide more information when it's available.

tweaked
10-04-10, 09:21 PM
Nice scoop Rage.

Redeemed
10-05-10, 12:29 AM
WOOHOO! EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT!!!

:rofl :D

bob saget
10-05-10, 12:42 AM
WOOHOO! EMPLOYEE DISCOUNT!!!

:rofl :D

TRANSLATION: I am cleaning house tomorrow :lol:

Redeemed
10-05-10, 12:44 AM
TRANSLATION: I am cleaning house tomorrow :lol:

Pretty much. :D :lol:

ragejg
10-05-10, 12:54 AM
[H] will have an article on this tomorrow.

But I got the scoop! :D

Redeemed
10-05-10, 12:56 AM
[H] will have an article on this tomorrow.

But I got the scoop! :D

If I can get 'em for as cheap as I think I can... I may have to get some simply to play with. Maybe throw a couple reviews out as well... would be fun at the least. And give you a friendly hand with helping to boost the review activity of this site. :)

Vardant
10-05-10, 01:16 AM
Too bad he didn't mention any prices. I imagine, they could be a lot cheaper this way, on the other hand, it might make their partners, let's say unhappy.

Sblantipodi
10-05-10, 06:56 AM
no luck to get it outside best buy?

ragejg
10-05-10, 11:59 AM
Article up @ [H]:

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/10/05/nvidia_enters_retail_direct_sales_at_best_buy

Honestly I don't like or appreciated Kyle's tone in this article.

bacon12
10-05-10, 12:13 PM
He has been that way since 5 series ati was released, and plenty at [H] have jumped on the fanboi bandwagon..

He actually used the words green kool-aid in his review. Way to be objective Kyle..

Vardant
10-05-10, 12:23 PM
That was to be expected after the 3Dfx remark in the first article. I don't want to see, what Charlie has to say.

mojoman0
10-05-10, 01:07 PM
gets rid of one middle man but theres still the best buy markup

ragejg
10-05-10, 01:48 PM
I can't believe that Kyle decided to stir things up with this the way he did. He has his whole community up in arms over this.

Bleh... it's not THAT big of a deal, and it's not some conspiracy to allow NVIDIA to lie to customers. Jeez.

ragejg
10-05-10, 03:53 PM
For what it's worth, NVIDIA's financials:

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=NVDA+Interactive#chart1:symbol=nvda;rang e=5y;indicator=volume;charttype=line;crosshair=on; ohlcvalues=0;logscale=on;source=undefined

BUT: Despite ALL the fervor, I can say this: It's NOT the big deal that [H] is making it out to be. For whatever reason, some opportunists out there are latching onto this as a convenient reason to rake NVIDIA over the coals.

Fact: Best Buy ASKED NVIDIA for this, just for the holidays. This is no effort on NVIDIA's part to "become another Apple", to "shake up AIBs" or any other crap. This is also not replacing ANY partner SKUs.

Yaboze
10-05-10, 08:25 PM
If it's not replacing SKU's, then why do it?

A lot of money went into designing the box and materials and setting up a help desk for Tech support and RMA's, etc.

I don't see it as a problem, but it's just a little strange.

I just checked the Best Buy site and they do sell EVGA, although I have never seen them for sale there. Anyway, if you were going to buy a card, saw the Nvidia branded box and EVGA, which would you buy? I know EVGA has a good warranty, so I'd go with them. The problem is, the average Joe may not know that and maybe the salesman won't offer than information.

As far as being like Apple... I mean, that unboxing was like watching an Apple product being opened, except replace white/gray with black/green. :bleh:

ragejg
10-05-10, 08:30 PM
Probably the best post I've seen on the subject thus far:

ardOCP"]"....the only thing i took exception to in this article is that you spent WAAAYYY too long going on and on about how it says "built by Nvidia" when it technically is not.

i would offer to you that everyone i know buying video cards in Best Buy has a complete skewed perception of brands, manufacturers and distributors....they dont even recognize the supply chain bro....i was online playing Battlefield Bad Company 2 with two friends online the other night. they are avid online PC gamers, but not technology geeks....they think you can argue a PNY card is better than a Gigabyte card. they did not even once in the argument use the word "Nvidia" or "GPU"....not once....when i asked what kind of GPU it had they responded with "Intel" and when i explained that i asked GPU on the video card, not CPU......the response was "it's the 512Mb one"........and when i was experiencing some high pings in game one of them told me it was "most likely my graphics card"

these guys are not dumb, they have decent rigs and play online a lot.....but they ARE exactly who shops at Best Buy for video cards and let me tell you expressly without a doubt and with no exception....they give a F-ALL who made it, who it says made it, or who actually made it.....they wouldn't even commit it to memory if you explained it all to them that a bunch of suicidal people at Foxxconn built them along side iPhones.....they immediately throw the box away and would never even call tech support.......

people simply dont give a F these days. you feel pointing out; nay.....putting it up on the marquee, that Nvidia didn't actually build these cards is a noble cause, but to be honest, the only people paying attention are the ones that know better anyways...

i think this article was pretty pointless honestly and a big to-do about nothing

Nvidia is trying to break into other markets like media streaming Boxees and mobile devices. they are trying to create a larger brand name presence. it is working obviously because what would have gone passed on as a nothing occurrence is now on the front page more than once in 24 hours....no doubt driving page hits and turn ad revenue, but to learn what? Nvidia is marketing their own product? really?"