PDA

View Full Version : Antec Three Hundred - Easy to Mod?

LydianKnight
10-08-10, 04:47 PM
Hi,

I would like to ask you a question... I'm planning a new PC build so I wanted to do some homework before going crazy on purchases haha :P

Anyway... that's the case I would like to put my new system in... an Antec Three Hundred, quite a solid-looking PC case, ATX format, and very well constructed...

But I'm planning to get a GTX 480 (possibly the EVGA SuperClocked) with a Omni ALC cooler from CoolIT and I would like to know if it's possible to remove the lower cage, the one containing the air tunnel for the two 120mm fan ducts and the hard drives, I know it also contains some space for routing cables, but I don't really care about that, as this time I'll get real messy on cable planning and everything so it's not an issue...

Do any of you own this case? And... can it be removed with ease? Or do I have to use something like a Dremel and a bit of brute force to get rid of it?

Julio

Soetdjuret
10-17-10, 06:52 PM
I have the 900, it's easy to mod in ways of removing/replacing hdd/120mm fan-racks. But it's hard to drill cuz the metall used in the sideplates are strong like hell. But nowdays three and nine hundred comes with holes on the back for cable management, this wasn't the case for my earlier built/version of the 900. Tried to drill, but no good results.

That's all i got.

grey_1
10-17-10, 09:41 PM
Hi,

I would like to ask you a question... I'm planning a new PC build so I wanted to do some homework before going crazy on purchases haha :P

Anyway... that's the case I would like to put my new system in... an Antec Three Hundred, quite a solid-looking PC case, ATX format, and very well constructed...

But I'm planning to get a GTX 480 (possibly the EVGA SuperClocked) with a Omni ALC cooler from CoolIT and I would like to know if it's possible to remove the lower cage, the one containing the air tunnel for the two 120mm fan ducts and the hard drives, I know it also contains some space for routing cables, but I don't really care about that, as this time I'll get real messy on cable planning and everything so it's not an issue...

Do any of you own this case? And... can it be removed with ease? Or do I have to use something like a Dremel and a bit of brute force to get rid of it?

Julio

Have you chosen a case yet? I know this is a few days old...I had a 300 and it's an excellent case for the money, but you will need to work at that cage a bit.

Mine used a combination of rivets, about 8-10 total if I remember correctly, plus it had several tack welds.

Good possibility you'll need a dremel at least to pull it. I opted for a larger case myself. :o

Peoples-Agent
10-18-10, 03:46 AM
Hi,

Julio

I was looking into this very same thing recently, decided it wasn't worth the hassle and just buy a bigger case.

CM HAF 912 is around the same price point.

Yaboze
10-18-10, 08:27 AM
I have a 900 and 300. My 900 is older and I almost like the 300 better, but it comes with much less, hardly any fans. My Q9650/GTX 285 setup is in the 300, which was moved from my 900. My 900 now has my X58/i7/GTX 480 set up.

The cheaper price and no frills extras allow you to do things your own way though. I didn't cut anything though, it had decent holes already on the tray. I thought the 300 was going to be smaller, but it appeared to be the same height and depth as the 900, it just has a flatter, more conventional top than the 900, which has a slightly sloping front with the ports on it.

There are some videos on YouTube of a guy who did some nice 300 mods.