PDA

View Full Version : Power supply issue?

LycosV
07-29-03, 06:59 AM
I just got my new computer from Dell and I loaded in a Gainward 5900 (Non-Ultra). When I did this the screen defaulted to 4bit color and had vertical white bands running down it at certain intervals. When I tried to increase the resolution, the computer reset on me. When the computer came up later it was fine in 640, but when I turned up the res, locked up again. My old GF3 works, just not the 5900.

As it's a Dell it has one of their "250w" Power Supplies, which I think might be the problem, but I'm not sure. Do you think that this problem could be the power supply, or is the card more likely the culprit? Thanks.

LycosV

windwaver
07-30-03, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by LycosV
I just got my new computer from Dell and I loaded in a Gainward 5900 (Non-Ultra). When I did this the screen defaulted to 4bit color and had vertical white bands running down it at certain intervals. When I tried to increase the resolution, the computer reset on me. When the computer came up later it was fine in 640, but when I turned up the res, locked up again. My old GF3 works, just not the 5900.

As it's a Dell it has one of their "250w" Power Supplies, which I think might be the problem, but I'm not sure. Do you think that this problem could be the power supply, or is the card more likely the culprit? Thanks.

LycosV

It may be other problems but the chances that the PSU is the culprit is 99%. nVidia recommends a 300w+ PSU for a stable system and they are referring to BRANDED PSUs, not those you get in some sub par casing.

I used to be running a 350 Antec PSU and it's barely enough. The 430 Truepower will satisfy your needs :).

LycosV
07-30-03, 03:03 PM
Okay thanks! Hearing someone say that makes me feel MUCH better. :) I was hoping it was the Power Supply, but afraid it might be something else. i have a Antec TrueBlue 480w on it's way. That ought to be able to handle anything I throw it's way. :)

LycosV

LiquidX
07-30-03, 03:20 PM
Hey LycosV hold off on the Antech PSU. Dell doesnt use standard PSU's unless its there new XPS system. So either that thing wont fit or burn out your MOBO. Call up Dell and have them check it out (even thought half of them knows nothing) because you should still be under warranty, put that PSU in there all is void.

LycosV
07-30-03, 04:08 PM
LiquidX: Thanks for the warning, but I already went through this panic attack before I ordered the PSU. :)

I used a voltmeter to test each connector on the power supply in there and compared it to the ATX standard and the ATX power supply in my old computer. They all match up, so I ought to be good with replacing it.

LycosV

LiquidX
07-30-03, 07:02 PM
I had a 8200 and it wasnt possible, I guess it is in the newer models. Good luck and update your post with what happens.

Also I still would have let Dell taken care of it instead of useing your own money. There tech dont know what they hell there saying but sure are quick to send out new parts.:)

LycosV
07-30-03, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by LiquidX
I had a 8200 and it wasnt possible, I guess it is in the newer models. Good luck and update your post with what happens.

Also I still would have let Dell taken care of it instead of useing your own money. There tech dont know what they hell there saying but sure are quick to send out new parts.:)

Hate to sound like a Dell customer service rep, but based on http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/dim8200/techov.htm#1101565 it looks like your power supply uses the standard ATX pin layout as well (http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm). What problem did you have with the 8200? Was the PSU not the same shape? The one in the 8200 link I provided is oddly shaped.

I have both a Dimension 8250, and a PowerEdge 400sc both of which have the same shape and layout of a true ATX so I'm hoping for a succesfull transplant. :)

I'll be sure to post here on my success/failure of this.

LycosV

LiquidX
07-30-03, 10:57 PM
Well I was going to upgrade the PSU also but was warned not to on a another forum sometime last year. I then read alot about this and found out these damn idiots use a PSU that look like a standard PSU ATX but has unique configuration. Just check the zdnet and other websites that review it and they will say some thing about Dells practice of not useing regular PSU's. So in the end you can only buy a PSU from Dell and one other company(Forgot there name) that specialize in in Dell configed PSU's. Again this is with my 8200.

I would first check dell forums before you install it just to be on the safe side. I dont think the 8250 is much different from the 8200 and it would be a shame if you burned out your mobo (which also even though is intel/dell is not a standard mobo) and have to end up spending more.

LycosV
08-05-03, 05:41 PM
Well I got my new power supply (Antec 480w) and it didn't fix the problem. :( Looks like RMA time, which sucks because of how long it's going to be before I get a working card. The value of it will have fallen by the time I get one working. :mad:

LycosV

LiquidX
08-05-03, 10:29 PM
Did it get that Antec in there with no problems?

LycosV
08-06-03, 12:49 AM
Size wise the Antec fits in like a glove. The hole on the back of the computer meanwhile is another story. The slot for the power cord is on the top, but the Antec connector is on the bottom. I'm planning on cutting the hole to be the right size.

LycosV

LiquidX
08-06-03, 10:24 AM
Why not just call up Dell instead of cutting holes in your pc. Also it might not even be the pc, it might be the card.