PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Bans Single Player Cheaters - Blizzard going a bit to far?

Pages : [1] 2

nekrosoft13
10-10-10, 07:03 PM
The chaps over at CheatHappens.com have published an interesting article that discusses the recent move by Blizzard to begin banning players found to be cheating in single player games of Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty. Here's an excerpt:
Cheat Happens user gm0ney has yet to play Blizzard’s much anticipated Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty online. He’s spent the majority of his time playing through the game’s campaign and AI skirmish matches, which makes the email he received that much stranger. “Offense: Terms of Use Violation - Exploitative Activity: Unauthorized cheat programs (‘hacks’). Account Action: 14 day (336 hour) suspension.” The user had been suspended, for using the trainer for Starcraft 2 created and distributed by CheatHappens.com, strictly against AI opponents. “Gm0ney” isn’t alone either, Blizzard’s actions have left many Cheat Happens users with a suspension or much worse, a lifetime ban, it also has many wondering - is it legal?

“I was mostly shocked,” Cheat Happens gm0ney said of the ban e-mail. “Although with all of the news about bans and suspensions coming up, I was somewhat prepared. Blizzard has made it very public in the few months since the game’s release that they would take immediate action against anyone found cheating in any form of StarCraft 2. “We take cheating in our games very seriously,” said a Blizzard spokesperson in a press release. “If you’re caught cheating in Starcraft 2, Blizzard, as per the terms in the EULA reserves the right to ban your battle.net account and/or CD key from ever playing again, online or off. In essence, it’s the language of the EULA that’s in question in the argument as Blizzard states that “playing anything other than an unaltered game client violates the Battle.net terms or use. “We strongly recommend that you avoid using any hacks, cheats or exploits.”

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=29797

dikinher
10-10-10, 07:14 PM
I never use cheats or hacks so this shouldn't concern me.(nana2)

bacon12
10-10-10, 07:36 PM
Do you earn XP that is used online? If not then this is f╥cking stupid.

grey_1
10-10-10, 08:02 PM
Like bacon said, if it doesn't affect online then yeah, they went too far.

Logical
10-10-10, 08:47 PM
Anyone that would hack the singleplayer would more than likely hack multiplayer too. Ban all cheats...big thumbs up from me, well played Blizzard.

-=DVS=-
10-10-10, 08:50 PM
Well single player campaigns do affect online alittle bit , they give you Avatar picture unlocks as reward for completing single player missions or objectives certain way or difficulty.

For example by completing campaign on hardest "Brutal" difficulty you would unlock "Sarah Kerrigen" avatar, have met some people with that avatar and they admitted cheating to get it (lee)

So there is some merit to blizzards actions.

ViN86
10-10-10, 10:36 PM
Well single player campaigns do affect online alittle bit , they give you Avatar picture unlocks as reward for completing single player missions or objectives certain way or difficulty.

For example by completing campaign on hardest "Brutal" difficulty you would unlock "Sarah Kerrigen" avatar, have met some people with that avatar and they admitted cheating to get it (lee)

So there is some merit to blizzards actions.

Banning them over a stupid picture? That's ridiculous...

Sazar
10-10-10, 11:01 PM
Anyone that would hack the singleplayer would more than likely hack multiplayer too. Ban all cheats...big thumbs up from me, well played Blizzard.

That's so illogical :bleh:

t3hl33td4rg0n
10-10-10, 11:04 PM
gm0ney :lol:

nekrosoft13
10-10-10, 11:56 PM
Banning them over a stupid picture? That's ridiculous...

+1, some people use cheats because they might get frustrated with certain portion of a game, if they want to use cheats to get through single player portion of the game they shouldn't get punished for it.

dikinher
10-11-10, 12:05 AM
+1, some people use cheats because they might get frustrated with certain portion of a game, if they want to use cheats to get through single player portion of the game they shouldn't get punished for it.

That's why there is a difficulty option. Put the game on Easy. BAM! Problem solved.

Logical
10-11-10, 12:54 AM
That's so illogical :bleh:

Not really, if somebody finds a singleplayer game too hard that they have to cheat then multiplayer would be so much harder for them and of course they would cheat to win.

Why would they do it for one and not the other ?

Sazar
10-11-10, 01:10 AM
Not really, if somebody finds a singleplayer game too hard that they have to cheat then multiplayer would be so much harder for them and of course they would cheat to win.

Why would they do it for one and not the other ?

You obviously didn't get my blatantly obvious play on your user-handle. :bleh:

http://www.setfiremedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/epic-fail.jpg

FWIW, I don't give a rats ass about World of Warcraft or what Blizzard does, beyond reading about the whining for various things, and South Park's brilliant take on it :bleh:

crainger
10-11-10, 01:40 AM
I saw this. I know some Live enabled games will crash if they detect a hack/trainer, but banning people playing single player, that's a bit much. I do understand achievements are sacred these days :rolleyes:: but it's hacks and mods that can keep a game going. How about the widescreen hacks for Starcraft 1? Multi is unfair, but the old campaign on a modern monitor is pretty cool to see in all it's glory. ::D:

Crow_Nest
10-11-10, 04:49 AM
I'd say bobby is behind this. After all, he hates video games, remember?

Johnny C
10-11-10, 08:31 AM
I hope someone sues blizzards over this. Banning someone from mulitplayer is one thing, but to rob someone of the ability to play a game that they legitimately purchased is bull****. Besides how can TOS even apply to the single player campaign.

Blizzards sucks ballz...

Bman212121
10-11-10, 09:06 AM
Not really surprised at all... Sad part is that I bet a lot of people are going to be more likely to just find the game cracks so they can play privately and with cheats.

Using a trainer can be a lot of fun if you just do skirmishes with the computer. Take off the pop cap and then you can really have a zerg rush. :D

K007
10-11-10, 09:20 AM
you had to be an absolute retard to cheat in sc2. Game connects to B.NET, the moment you do this you use any third party app, then warden will pick it up.

Blizzard has all the rights to ban people if they do **** like this.

Well done Blizzard, i hope they won't cave into any outburst from cheater communities.

This explains the people who are whining saying they never used 'maphack', these people used the trainer to get achievement points.

I saw this. I know some Live enabled games will crash if they detect a hack/trainer, but banning people playing single player, that's a bit much. I do understand achievements are sacred these days :rolleyes:: but it's hacks and mods that can keep a game going. How about the widescreen hacks for Starcraft 1? Multi is unfair, but the old campaign on a modern monitor is pretty cool to see in all it's glory. ::D:

There is a custome game feature if you want to play mods. In fact Blizzard has provided a very powerful utility for people to create some amazing mods.

Just remember, they were banned for using a third party application while connected to Battle.net 2.0 to get achievement points. If the game is too hard, difficulty settings can be set down, or use Blizzards ingame cheat codes.
For those defending the cheaters, please note Blizzard has cheatcodes that let you cheat to get instant buildings/money/etc, but this means you will earn 0 Achievement points.

Fully standby Blizzards ban.

Turns out its a 14 day Suspension. (Shame, would have love to see it as a full perm ban, i hope the account stats were wiped.)

Logical
10-11-10, 10:43 AM
You obviously didn't get my blatantly obvious play on your user-handle. :bleh:

http://www.setfiremedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/epic-fail.jpg

FWIW, I don't give a rats ass about World of Warcraft or what Blizzard does, beyond reading about the whining for various things, and South Park's brilliant take on it :bleh:

lol ok nice one, i think... :cool:

LurkerLito
10-11-10, 11:12 AM
Personally I think Blizzard are being retarded for banning single player game cheating. That itself should be illegal especially if a banned game means you have to buy a new one to play even single player. It's fine by me to ban them if they used it during multi-player but banning for single player cheating is absolutely not OK.

I don't usually cheat in my games in the first play through but I do look for trainers and such when I go replay it later. I did it with Diablo 2, Titan's Quest etc and I will most likely do it again with Diablo 3 after I finish it the first couple of times. I'll definitely sue them if they ban me and I can't play it single player anymore. You can argue EULA all you want but you sue for $50 in small claims court and if blizzard doesn't show up you win by default and they'll have to send you a check. Maybe after a while of getting many people suing them this way they'll get the message that some things you just can't do.

Sabadin
10-11-10, 12:22 PM
Some of you really need to go read that again and realise that they're doing the suspensions/bans to people using 3rd party apps to hack the game files, which you pretty much agreed to before you even finished installing. They could care less is someone uses the ingame cheat codes.

HiCZoK4
10-11-10, 12:59 PM
Personally I think Blizzard are being retarded for banning single player game cheating. That itself should be illegal especially if a banned game means you have to buy a new one to play even single player. It's fine by me to ban them if they used it during multi-player but banning for single player cheating is absolutely not OK.

I don't usually cheat in my games in the first play through but I do look for trainers and such when I go replay it later. I did it with Diablo 2, Titan's Quest etc and I will most likely do it again with Diablo 3 after I finish it the first couple of times. I'll definitely sue them if they ban me and I can't play it single player anymore. You can argue EULA all you want but you sue for $50 in small claims court and if blizzard doesn't show up you win by default and they'll have to send you a check. Maybe after a while of getting many people suing them this way they'll get the message that some things you just can't do.

just what i think. Banning for single player is retarded. If I want to have some fun with infinite resources etc... WHY NOT? its my game. I bought it.

frenchy2k1
10-11-10, 02:08 PM
and if you want infinite resources, Blizzard allows you to have a very nifty in-game cheat code just for that.
Have fun with it and destroy computers if you want, but this will NOT let you gain the rewards. The problem is with people cheating to get achievements This devalued the achievement.

crainger
10-12-10, 01:43 AM
you had to be an absolute retard to cheat in sc2. Game connects to B.NET, the moment you do this you use any third party app, then warden will pick it up.

Blizzard has all the rights to ban people if they do **** like this.

Well done Blizzard, i hope they won't cave into any outburst from cheater communities.

This explains the people who are whining saying they never used 'maphack', these people used the trainer to get achievement points.

There is a custome game feature if you want to play mods. In fact Blizzard has provided a very powerful utility for people to create some amazing mods.

Just remember, they were banned for using a third party application while connected to Battle.net 2.0 to get achievement points. If the game is too hard, difficulty settings can be set down, or use Blizzards ingame cheat codes.
For those defending the cheaters, please note Blizzard has cheatcodes that let you cheat to get instant buildings/money/etc, but this means you will earn 0 Achievement points.

Fully standby Blizzards ban.

Turns out its a 14 day Suspension. (Shame, would have love to see it as a full perm ban, i hope the account stats were wiped.)

I hear Starcraft 3 is coming for PC/PS3/360.

jeffmd
10-12-10, 04:01 AM
crainger, sc3 isnt even on the drawing board. they are still in the midst of creating the 2 expansions for the other races. ^^

I too think it is to far, and would expect this to be yet another reason people would grab the pirate version of games so that they can use 3rd part cheat programs.

3rd party cheat programs are not just for making the game easier, the simple native cheat hack for GTA4 offers up a staggering amount of in game options related to altering and spawning object and npcs.