PDA

View Full Version : iRacing

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ATOJAR
10-11-10, 06:10 PM
Ok sohaving hear alot of good things about iRacing in the past i decided to give it a try, I bought a 1 month pass to see if i like it .... If i do ill get the full 1 year pass.

(please bear with me im a total noob at this)

Now i have afew issues/questions so far hopefully somebody can help me with...

1. when parked still my wheel moves from left to right pretty quickly, Anybody got any idea what could be causing this?

2. Ive bought the 1 month pass & now when i go to race most of the races say i need to but additional content! ... :headexplode: I just bought a damn pass! what all that about?

3. I have a 900 degree wheel but what degrees should i set it at in the in-game settings for best results?

Hopefully somebody can help me out here. :o

Also any advice/tips are welcome. :)

ATOJAR
10-12-10, 01:36 PM
I havent actually races in a series yet, Ive only been on the test track(i only bought it late last night & i cant play it tonight untill the kids go to bed) :o

Just been messing with the settings & trying to get everything just how i like it.

Heres my setting in the logitech control pannel:

Overall effect strength: 150%

Spring effect strenth: 0%

Damper effect strenght: 0%

& I have the box that says "Allow game to adjust settings" ticked.

Cream
07-18-11, 06:51 AM
Just to let you know your not just talking to yourself, I'm atleast reading your content, even if I'm not commenting on it :D

Mike89
07-28-11, 11:33 PM
I tried iRacing for the 3 months and didn't renew. As far as a racing sim, there is nothing better (nothing even comes close). This is for people who are REALLY into sim racing. Can get expensive paying monthly subscription, cars, etc. I have had the Logitech Momo (Red) racing wheel for a few years and it was good in it's day but it's not up to the quality to compete in iRacing. The racers there are no joke and will eat your lunch and if you're lucky, give you back your lunchbox. Be prepared to get your ass kicked HARD! You'll need something like the Logitech G27 at $300 if you really want to be competitive with the big boys who seem to do nothing but race.

I just wasn't enough of a die hard racer to continue to pay the monthly fee (and other expenses) when I knew I would hardly race let alone ever be competitive. It takes a long time just to work yourself up through the tiers (along with buying tracks) to even say hi to the real racers. Prepare to be a Newbie for a long time if you get involved with iRacing. It's not for the casual gamer. This is not pussy Danica Patrick s h i t, this is Kyle Busch stuff.

Cream
07-29-11, 06:32 PM
That does look sweeeet.

Cream
07-31-11, 04:02 PM
Stunning. The game and your set up :D

sammy sung
07-31-11, 05:47 PM
That looks like a lot of fun :)

ElL33t
07-31-11, 09:14 PM
I was really excited about this game until I saw this video. The money it takes to move up is insane, well insane for me. I'm just not willing to pay that much money.

zbAC-PV3lZI

Cream
08-01-11, 08:43 AM
Sorry if im missing it on the web site, but what is the cost for the tracks and cars?

ElL33t
08-01-11, 08:53 AM
Well first of all, that video is from the beta days in 2008 ;) I was part of that as well.
And I'm still racing there. It's worth it.
I'm not a fan of MMOs, I've never wasted time and money on titles like WoW for example. Also, I don't like the concept of DLCs and I have yet to buy a DLC pack at full price.

But somehow, iRacing throws my "rules" out of the window. Guess why? Yes, because it is that good!

btw, when iRacing first presented their concept, I was very active in LFS and thought this new thing will fail because of its cost. Then I got a beta access and I have never fired up LFS again since then.

I have all the content and including the subscriptions, I've probably spend around $1200-1500 over three years. That's not a lot of money for such a long time. Your normal game costs you $50 ($75 in Switzerland) for maybe 8-12h of fun. And it's about the same, if not a lot less, amount of money you have to invest in FSX for example. And nothing compared to the hardware investments for a "serious" sim experience ;)

But one thing is true. Now, you have to spend a lot more money to advance or even race a full season after completing the Rookie series. They have a lot more tracks now and a season runs 12 weeks on usually 12 different tracks. Back when I started, a season was also 12 weeks but only on 6 tracks. So buying new content was a slow and steady process. Now you need to invest more right from the start. But still, it's worth it :)

I'm sure the game is really fun. My point is I as a casual racer am not willing to spend that kind of money for one video game. I guess it is the same reason why I haven't bought any MMOs until TOR. For someone who is really into racing it looks to be a match made in heaven.

Cream
08-01-11, 01:38 PM
Been sucked in :)
7.58 for 3 months gaming can't be bad :)

Cream
08-01-11, 02:11 PM
PM sent

ElL33t
08-01-11, 03:17 PM
I have to say I am getting more and more tempted with this damn game. I may grab a month next weekend. I'm sure the game play is there, I wonder if I am good enough to make it worth my time. I'm not particularly good at racing games but I do love playing them.

Cream
08-01-11, 03:48 PM
I have to say I am getting more and more tempted with this damn game. I may grab a month next weekend. I'm sure the game play is there, I wonder if I am good enough to make it worth my time. I'm not particularly good at racing games but I do love playing them.

It's buy one month get two free ATM. Just had a quick blast in an MX5. feels really good, bit of tweaking needed on my wheel, but a good start.:dance:

Cream
08-01-11, 05:07 PM
LOL, Sods law, I pick the day the website goes down for updates so I can't play the game :)

CoSWill
08-01-11, 05:12 PM
Ok, I suck lol...did some practice laps with some people last night and they were ramming into my ass so hard I did most of my driving in the trunk!!!

Pretty fun practicing at Charlotte, especially when I figured out to use the setup for that track. Thompson on the other hand is hard to get used to. I keep finding the wall on that track.

Cream
08-03-11, 04:10 AM
Think I need to retake my test, I can't drive for **** :)

Even on the simple lime rock park in the Mazda I'm a good 3 to 4 seconds off the pace.

My first race was a dissaster, My wireless head phones decided to run out and after one lap I had no sound, Tried to carry on so I didn't have a DNF but had to give up after about 6 laps.

The game is very impressive though.

CoSWill
08-03-11, 06:27 AM
I am in the same boat cream. My time trial at that track is also about 5 to 6 seconds off the pace. But, I was concentrating more on staying on the track rather than speed. One thing I do like about the Limerock track is that you can spin out and not hit anything. It took me the entire 30 min to get the TT finished :)

Cream
08-03-11, 07:44 AM
I am in the same boat cream. My time trial at that track is also about 5 to 6 seconds off the pace. But, I was concentrating more on staying on the track rather than speed. One thing I do like about the Limerock track is that you can spin out and not hit anything. It took me the entire 30 min to get the TT finished :)

Are you racing the car straight out of the box or have you tried tuning it? I was wondering if that's part of the difference?

BTW I've found plenty to hit :), even the trees on the other side of the field on the first long bend LOL.

Cream
08-03-11, 10:09 AM
Glad you guys are enjoying it :)

LRP is a great track. I also know a few places to hit :p Once you're on the grass and carrying enough speed, it's almost impossible to stop in time.

I haven't done many, if any, laps in the MX-5 on that track. So I can't give much advice :o The Solstice was my Rookie car back then. I was around 0.5s off the World Record at the time. But that changed a lot since then.

Here's a video I did with the F1 at that track: that's probably the most intense combo. You don't have to break a lot but you're probably steering more with the throttle than with the wheel :p Had a few hairy moments as well...

8daC4BQ-clg

Nice driving, by both you and the driver in front of you.

CoSWill
08-03-11, 12:16 PM
Tremendous footage there..fun to watch considering I know the track now. Your lap times look to be very fast. I didn't hear alot of tire squeel either..mine sound like an air-raid siren lol.

Cream, I have been using the iRacing setups for the specific track when available. I did change the gear ratio in the rear-end for the street stock car for doing laps at Charlotte, which made the car gain about 30mph hammer down.

Cream
08-03-11, 12:36 PM
Thanks.
It was a fun but very exhausting event ;)

Just checked my stats and I did a 1.00.6xx at Lime Rock with the MX-5 Cup at some point. Quite a bit off the WR as well. But I have no idea how much practicing was involved for that... I'd say you guys should beat that time easily after a bit of practice. If you haven't already :)

CoSWill, I also like to TT a lot :) I don't have time for races usually. So the TT are my main way of competing in iRacing.

:spank: 1:03.495 After about 20 laps in total. To be near the front in the rookie class they are getting around in just under 1 min. from what I've seen.

CoSWill
08-03-11, 01:29 PM
1:03.495 looks pretty good to me considering you've only been at it for a few days...what controller you using? I am using the Logitech momo.

Cream
08-03-11, 03:19 PM
1:03.495 looks pretty good to me considering you've only been at it for a few days...what controller you using? I am using the Logitech momo.

Logitech G25, played the game twice and that track about 20 laps.

Cream
08-03-11, 03:25 PM
I just did a few offline laps with the Roadster and did a 59.805 (edit: 59.557 in the meantime) and saved the replay. Maybe this will help you a bit. If not, there are lots of great tutorials on the iRacing Member Forums :)
It's far from optimal though, especially since I'm not using my normal sim setup right now.

http://www.easy-share.com/1917086642/TN_MX-5_Roadster_LRP_59.805.rpy

Save the file to your My Documents\iRacing\replay folder and navigate to Events->Replays on the iRacing site. There are two tabs "Online Replays" and "Testing Replays". This one will be under "Testing Replays".

That's about the lap time I'm trying to get to. Is that with the car set up as standard?
Trying to work out if the games more about the set up or about getting the laps in to improve your time.
Really wierd playing a game without a map :) Also ****pit view is a bit alien to me, usually a bonnet cam person. and 360 pad, but don't tell the P.C. fan boys I play on a 360 :)

EDIT.
Just checked out your video, Technically it looks the same lines that I'm taking, your just cleaner and carrying a little more speed. My breaking and lifting look to be the same or very similar to what your doing. So that's a good start :D Just need more practice.