PDA

View Full Version : My FX5900U just died

Lalander
07-29-03, 09:06 AM
This is so frustrating...
I was playing Gun Metal (which came with the card) when suddenly the computer froze and the screen turned black.
After a reset the BIOS screen is full of "::::::" and "......" and the only way to load Windows is through safe mode...
Gaaaah!

I just requested a RMA from the store I bought it from.

I'm now forced to use my OLD Matrox G450... (which scored 1018 in 3DMark 2001).

And no, I didn't OC the gfx card, just my CPU...

poursoul
07-29-03, 09:18 AM
i don't see how windows would load if the bios seems to be corrupted.

How well does your puter work with the matrox card in it? any abnormalies?

LiquidX
07-29-03, 09:20 AM
If your able to load into safe mode your card is not dead. Check into it some more.

Lalander
07-29-03, 09:38 AM
My computer seems to be fine with the Matrox card.

DXdiag froze when running it with the FX5900U.
With the Matrox card it's fine.

I can run all tests in SiSoft Sandra MAX3 and 3DMark 2001 SE with the Matrox card without any problems.

There are no ":::::"s and "....." all over the BIOS screen with the Matrox card.

What else could be wrong if it isn't the gfx card that is faulty?

jAkUp
07-29-03, 10:11 AM
it may have overheated... have you tried pulling the card out, then putting it back in again?

Lalander
07-29-03, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by jAkUp
it may have overheated... have you tried pulling the card out, then putting it back in again?

Yes, I did try that.
Didn't help though...

But you could be right about the overheating part.
It's about 30 C in my room and I only have one intake fan in the case, on the side... (http://www.sweexeurope.com/product.asp?pid=196)

khafan
07-29-03, 11:33 AM
This thing exactly happened to my Ti4600, also there's a thread about it in here,
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15261
First my PC froze and turned off automatically and when I turned on my PC next day, there was "::::::" and "......" at screen and I could load windows in safe mode and when I uninstall nvidia detonator, I could load windows in normal mode.
temprature of my card was high and finally killed this card after one year.

Zeno
07-29-03, 07:57 PM
I agree with the overheating idea....did you check to make sure the fan was still working? We had a fan go out on one of our cards at work and it caused similar problems.

Geforce4ti4200
07-29-03, 10:06 PM
sorry to hear of your losses. Get a radeon9800 non pro instead and overclock that cpu more, those sometimes do 3.5GHz

Unit01
07-30-03, 07:55 AM
lol why should he get a9800nonpro?
isn't he entitled to a new card if his current one is broke?
he said he would RMA it :)

Smokey
07-30-03, 01:02 PM
Hehe Geforce4Ti4200 reminds me so much of ATI9700Lover ;)

My wifes pc gets that graphic corruption sometimes on a cold boot, I just reboot and its fine, I have no idea what the prob is. Its an old GeforceDDR, as I said a reboot fixes the problem, so I havent bothered looking into the problem any further, the only other spare card I have, is a Matrox G100, which dont fit in the wifes motherboard, the G100 came with the PII 133 which is now in a plastic bag :p