PDA

View Full Version : Installing new SSD drive - what to do?

jimiz
10-13-10, 05:13 PM
I am upgrading my OS drive to the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD. I am excited to see how this goes with the rest of my new items. I am dissapointed to know that the best way to start off with a new drive is fresh OS & applications install. I don't want to ghost and create any issues that would slow the drive down at all.
So..I thought that I would unplug my other SATA Mechanical drives while installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit to the SSD so there are no conflicts. Is there anything I need to do in the bios? Do I need to set the SATA option in my bios to AHCI? Will my DVDRW that is not SATA become useless?
Once the OS is installed, what 'tweaks' are necessary for the SSD to be at it's best?
Thanks for any advice on this.

v3rninater
10-14-10, 06:26 PM
Dude, look here...

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=149826&page=20

jimiz
10-14-10, 06:54 PM
I already ordered the SSD and will be receiving it in a day or two. I didn't feel like waiting for the new models. It must be the crazy impatient part of me that hits order late at night. Anyway, I need info on what to do when I install it. I have heard of setting the trim, turning off some OS settings but not sure if anyone has a nice list that I can run through during install. Has anyone seen one online or can give me some guidance? Thanks.

v3rninater
10-14-10, 08:50 PM
Dude, I just did what you asked, and it's there if you clicked the link. It's to another part of the forums, so, Trim works and is active on only win 7 afaik, if you install win 7 on the SSD only. What I did, was install win 7 on the SSD being the only HD hooked up, then did what that link said, and voila, I have an awesome SSD!

jimiz
10-14-10, 09:49 PM
Somehow when I clicked on the link before, I missed the info. I do see it now. Thanks alot. That really helps. Was there anything you changed in the bios? Format AHCI? etc?

Do you have any IDE drives (DVDrom, DVDRW, etc.) to contend with?

v3rninater
10-15-10, 02:45 AM
I do have IDE drives and they work in the AHCI mode just fine, make sure you have AHCI turned on in the bios, and then when you install the OS, make the appropriate changes from that other thread.

frenchy2k1
10-15-10, 12:16 PM
AHCI is only for SATA drives (this is how your BIOS reports the SATA drives, as full SATA or as IDE emulation). AHCI is now handled correctly by pretty much all OS. It enables all of SATA's features, like hot-swapping, queuing...

JasonPC
10-15-10, 01:31 PM
AHCI can be enabled when IDE drives are present, but only SATA drives will make use of AHCI with the features frenchy mentioned.