PDA

View Full Version : Odd Temp Readings

416Rigby
10-19-10, 05:37 PM
I just built a new rig, and I'm getting some odd temperature readings from the cpu. It's an I7-980 ES, running at stock speeds. I'm using a Corsair H70 cooler on it. I've tried three different programs to check the temps: CPUID HW monitor, Real Temp, and Speedfan. They give me the following readings: 60C, 60C and 40c, respectively. That's under load. I know that I should get around the 40's with this cpu and cooler, but I wonder if I'm really hitting 60C like some of the programs say I am. Is it common for the temp programs to be off this much? And, if I really am hitting 60C, is that damaging to this cpu? Thanks.

Dirthead
10-19-10, 11:01 PM
If your worried that much try resetting the cooler..

Roadhog
10-19-10, 11:29 PM
lol, 60c is cool for those. Use realtemp for the most accurate reading. The H70 isn't great, you won't get 40c load.

bob saget
10-19-10, 11:38 PM
lol, 60c is cool for those. Use realtemp for the most accurate reading. The H70 isn't great, you won't get 40c load.

what kind of cooler will get you 40c stressed? mine overclocked idles at that.

Roadhog
10-20-10, 12:16 AM
what kind of cooler will get you 40c stressed? mine overclocked idles at that.

did you read the OP? he said he was expecting 40c.

bob saget
10-20-10, 12:20 AM
misread :o

416Rigby
10-20-10, 12:31 AM
I'm just going by what other folks with this cooler have gotten for temps. Under load, they mostly get in the 40's. I removed the cooler, cleaned off the old thermal grease, put just a tiny amount of Arctic Silver 5, and tightened it down securely. The only difference in my setup and theirs, is that I use Noctua fans rather than Corsair's fans (which are pretty noisy). They still move a good bit of air over the radiator, though. So, is 60C safe for this cpu?

Dirthead
10-20-10, 12:50 AM
didn't drop any,? with using AS5 you have about 200 hours burn(cure) in period i think its that long, 60C seems high for idle, whats your core temps, need to watch core temps more, then the overall CPU temp If your core temps are really high,see your running stock and temps are that high, seems fishy to me.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/index.php

post at the above site they might be able to help more?

bob saget
10-20-10, 01:31 AM
have you tried different temp monitoring software? check what you get under load.

bob saget
10-20-10, 01:36 AM
from what i read, i think thats fine.

Roadhog
10-20-10, 02:05 AM
I'm just going by what other folks with this cooler have gotten for temps. Under load, they mostly get in the 40's. I removed the cooler, cleaned off the old thermal grease, put just a tiny amount of Arctic Silver 5, and tightened it down securely. The only difference in my setup and theirs, is that I use Noctua fans rather than Corsair's fans (which are pretty noisy). They still move a good bit of air over the radiator, though. So, is 60C safe for this cpu?

It's fine, 80-90c 24/7 when overclocked is nothing to worry about either.

maybe your ambient temp is higher than theirs.