PDA

View Full Version : New motherboard, new problem.

xCLAVEx
10-25-10, 05:29 PM
Well I got a replacement motherboard just today, but once I transferred all my hardware over from the old board, I powered everything up and the processor fan and case fans ran with no problem but the video card didn't even bother to turn on...I tried fiddling with the cables but nadda. I tried a spare video card I had lying around and this one turned on, but the fan ran at full speed, (loud whirr noise) did not slow down, and did not give me any video. There were no beeps from the board either. I let it sit there for a minute and nothing changed. Does anybody have any idea what is going on?

There was a time when I had the patience for computers and building my own and whatnot, but now that I have gotten older, these guessing games with replacement parts are just not fun anymore...in fact, they are a pain in the ass.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33969666

Read above thread for more info on my dillema.

AthlonXP1800
10-25-10, 06:17 PM
Happened to me twice with 2 MSI motherboards in 6 months, I realised MSI motherboards are crap poor quality after read MSI forum with same issues from other MSI customers. Never again with MSI, they are a pain in the ass.

Then I went to bought ASUS motherboard and it worked fantastic.

xCLAVEx
10-25-10, 07:08 PM
It could be a crap board. It is a Fujitsu Siemens D1858 Intel 925 Socket 775. I can't even get the damn thing to post.

xCLAVEx
10-26-10, 04:26 AM
It's this thing.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=D1858-BO&cat=MBB

Muppet
10-26-10, 05:40 AM
That looks pretty cheap and nasty and going by the price. It is.

AthlonXP1800
10-26-10, 05:59 AM
Hmmm Fujitsu Siemens do not selling motherboards, it never mentioned on their website unless your desktop PC brand is Fujitsu Siemens.

I am shocked to find out your motherboard contains leads that Fujitsu Siemens should not used as far as 6 years ago.

It not very good to purchase branded desktop PCs because they had very short lifespan and more prone to failures few months after the warranty expired. Happened to my neighour years ago where Advent branded desktop's DVD-ROM drive failed a month after 1 year Advent warranty expired. Then few weeks after new LG DVD-ROM replaced failed Advent DVD-ROM, Advent monitor died and neighbour had to go to shop to buy new monitor. A month later he bought the new monitor, the Advent motherboard died. It was absolutely pain in ass to helped my neighbour, I told him it better off build a custom PC that can last up to 10 years rather than a year with branded PC.

Starscream
10-26-10, 10:53 AM
Can you post a list of the parts you're putting in this motherboard?

Are you replacing the same motherboard with this?

According to that link it's an Intel 925 chipset board, that chipset does not support a lot of processors. Basically LGA775 p4's and Celerons and not much else.

xCLAVEx
10-26-10, 11:43 AM
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MB-N680-ILT9-PB-R&cat=MBB
What about this one? Is this any good?

xCLAVEx
10-26-10, 11:46 AM
Can you post a list of the parts you're putting in this motherboard?

Are you replacing the same motherboard with this?

According to that link it's an Intel 925 chipset board, that chipset does not support a lot of processors. Basically LGA775 p4's and Celerons and not much else.

These are the parts;

Motherboard Intel DQ965GF - Replacing because PSU blew up and took the board with it.
CPU Intel Quad Core 2 Duo Q6600
Graphics eVGA Geforce 260 GTX Overclocked Edition
Memory 4 Gig DDR2 667mhz in Dual Channel mode
Cooling Solution Dynatron Evo-11
Display HP W1907 19in LCD Widescreen
Soundcard & Speakers Soundblaster X-Fi Extreme
Hard-Drives 400/160 gig Seagate SATA HD
Power Supply 700 Watt Ultra X-Connect VS PSU - Replaced with ThermalTake 600w PSU with 34a and 24a on dual 12v rails.

Starscream
10-26-10, 03:32 PM
These are the parts;
CPU Intel Quad Core 2 Duo Q6600

There is the problem.

This board is so ancient it doesn't support any Core 2 Duo processors.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=MB-N680-ILT9-PB-R&cat=MBB
What about this one? Is this any good?

I don't know if I'd say that's good exactly... However it does support Core 2 Quad processors, so it should get you going. Here's hoping that ancient P4 only board didn't fry your Core 2 Quad CPU.

xCLAVEx
10-26-10, 06:48 PM
There is the problem.

This board is so ancient it doesn't support any Core 2 Duo processors.

I don't know if I'd say that's good exactly... However it does support Core 2 Quad processors, so it should get you going. Here's hoping that ancient P4 only board didn't fry your Core 2 Quad CPU.

Don't think it did as the processor still kept trying to come up and there wren't any pin connections really. But yeah, I made a noobed mistake.

Muppet
10-27-10, 01:15 AM
Don't think it did as the processor still kept trying to come up and there weren't any pin connections really. But yeah, I made a noobed mistake.

That is a hell of a noob mistake. You are lucky if you haven't damaged any hardware.

Also I would ditch the sound blaster and just use the onboard sound. It is more than adequate these days. Spend the extra money on a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. The GTX260 will power it and you won't regret it.

xCLAVEx
10-27-10, 05:07 PM
That is a hell of a noob mistake. You are lucky if you haven't damaged any hardware.

Also I would ditch the sound blaster and just use the onboard sound. It is more than adequate these days. Spend the extra money on a 23" 1920x1080 monitor. The GTX260 will power it and you won't regret it.

Indeed it was but at least it was still the right socket and just an unsupported processor (basically turned on and ran but just didn't post). I think it will be fine.

As for onboard sound, I hate Creative labs drivers, but I like the crystalizer too much for my sblive. I just like the way it makes things sound when it's active. I tried using onboard sound before, and everything sounded too muffled and the sound controls for bass and treble were clumsy and didn't work too well.

Muppet
10-28-10, 01:05 AM
Indeed it was but at least it was still the right socket and just an unsupported processor (basically turned on and ran but just didn't post). I think it will be fine.

As for onboard sound, I hate Creative labs drivers, but I like the crystalizer too much for my sblive. I just like the way it makes things sound when it's active. I tried using onboard sound before, and everything sounded too muffled and the sound controls for bass and treble were clumsy and didn't work too well.

Fair enough, but onboard sound has come a long way IMO. I would still go for the full HD monitor as an upgrade. It would be a much nicer upgrade over the sound.

xCLAVEx
11-05-10, 06:32 AM
Ok, this time got an XFX Nforce 680l board but the same problem persists. I tried using my Geforce 260 gtx, but it refused to even power up, so I tried a different card (older x1600 spare I had lying around) and this one powered up and the fans spun and everything, but there was no video signal. There were no beeps from the motherboard too, just nothing. The fans and lights all came on fine, but the video signal was not there. So far I have replaced the motherboard, the PSU, and the video card and the same god damn problem persists. I have been ******* around with this damn machine for over a month now and I am sick of it not working no matter what I try. I'm guessing the only 2 things left that could be wrong are the memory or the CPU itself, any other ideas?

Starscream
11-05-10, 03:38 PM
I think you fried the cpu in that junk board you bought.

What you need to do is test your ram and cpu in a known good motherboard. If you can't do that you might as well try RMAing the cpu to Intel.