PDA

View Full Version : How do I overclock?

Tuork
07-30-03, 12:03 PM
Here's the deal: As you can probably see from the previous posts I've made, I know squat...

I want to know if I can overclock my processor, and if so, how do I do so? (Better yet, can anyone explian to me what overclocking is, exactly?)

These are my specs:
- Athlon Xp 1600+
- M810 board by pc-chips (LAN/video/agp/sound/modem)
- 256 MB SDRAM (the common one)
- Geforce 2 MX 64 MB
- Maxtor 15 GB HDD

If I'm not mistaken this processor runs at 1.35 GHz...

On a further note, I'm getting an MSI GeForce 4 ti4200 128 MB card on the 17th :D. Is there anything I can do to it in order to improve performance?

Dazz
07-30-03, 12:52 PM
Nope, PC chips boards don't allow overclocking, also the processor runs at 1.4GHz.

Tuork
07-30-03, 04:52 PM
DAMMIT!

Stupid board... I knew I should have gotten a better one... all for the best price... FU****.

Now that I know I can't OC, will an MSI KT4 Ultra (planning on buying one) do the trick?

- tuork

Dazz
07-30-03, 05:08 PM
Yeah thats a decent overclocking board although alot of people would rather pick up a nForce2 Based board. Mostly due to the locked PCI & AGP clocks. You should also note you are going to need DDR memory also for either the MSI KT4 Ultra or MSI K7N2-Delta-ILSR.

Tuork
07-30-03, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Dazz
Yeah thats a decent overclocking board although alot of people would rather pick up a nForce2 Based board. Mostly due to the locked PCI & AGP clocks. You should also note you are going to need DDR memory also for either the MSI KT4 Ultra or MSI K7N2-Delta-ILSR.

No worries about the DDR memory ;)

Taking the "I know squat" part of my initial post into account, what is better about the nForce2 based boards? Which would be a good choice (and economic) to buy?

Dazz
07-31-03, 05:46 AM
Well they offer the best peformance of any AMD board out, they are faily cheap now, If you don't want sound storm or RAID SATA etc. They auto unlock processors multiplirers so long as it's under 13x and is a Thoroughbred or Barton core, and the other thing overclockers like is the fixed PCI & AGP clocks so you don't overclock your video and PCI cards/Hard drive. High PCI clocks can lead to corrupt data and even hard drive failer.

nin_fragile14
07-31-03, 02:55 PM
If you want to overclock an AthlonXP, definitely go with an Nforce 2, as Dazz said. Epox, Abit and Asus all make great Nforce boards that overclock quite well. If you're looking to spend the least amount of money, you can pick up the Epox board for around 85 bucks.

Dazz
07-31-03, 06:39 PM
Not sure whether other boards have fixed it yet but MSI has a nice feature, if your board doesn't boot up after playing with your RAM or FSB then you can use the safe mode jumpers to get the system up and running. All other board manufactures forgot to add these jumpers.

Smokey
07-31-03, 07:20 PM
Even if you get a new mother board, there are somethings to take into account when overclocking.

-Memory, if overclocking by raising the FSB, then your ram has to be able to handle the higher speed.
-Multiplyer, if overclocking using the multi, you will need to unlock it, this can be tricky, be carefull.
-Cooling, make sure you have good cooling, overclocking will raise the temps in your pc, if your pc becomes too hot, your pc will freeze.

Overclocking doesnt always work as planned, my pc for eg. I thought would overclock well with a higher FSB, but alais, something doesnt like a higher FSB, not even 170MHz from 166MHz.

causes may be, PSU or the HDD, in my opinion, these are the only two things left that could be causing problems, you too may run into problems when overclocking, just take things slowly :) and Good Luck, you'll need it :p

PsychoSy
08-01-03, 05:12 AM
The only PC-Chips/ECS board that's overclockable was the M830LU (ECS K7S5A) and not by much - only a handfull of people could overclock it successfully to 150/150 the majority got lucky at about 143/143. Plus these board require a third-party "overclockers" BIOS and there's two people that provide them - Cheepoman from OCworkbench's forums, and HoneyX.

The ECS 748-A uses the new SiS 748 chipset that supports Bartons and AGP 8x which could be marginably overclockable but that's about the extent of it. PC-Chips/ECS Boards are simply not overclocker's boards. They're no-frills, value priced boards that usually cut the mustard for people on an extremely tight budget but if you really want something more robust and overclockable, you got open the wallet wider.

Dazz
08-01-03, 06:06 AM
OEM's use them alot also because they are cheap.