PDA

View Full Version : Parts Ordered!!! New Build tomorrow... YESSS!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 07:58 AM
So i've pulled the trigger on my new build.

What do you guys think?

i7 950 w/ Thermaltake Frio (Only want a 4Ghz OC)
6GB Corsair XMS
60GB OCZ Vertex 2E SSD
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Asus Sabretooth mobo
2x 6870 Saphire Radeon Xfire
XFX Pro850w Core Edition PSU
Coolermaster HAF X case

I feel like a traitor not going the nVidia SLI route but the scaling on these 6870s was too much to ignore.

Parts get here tomorrow, going to be a long day no doubt.

(nana2)

Bearclaw
11-05-10, 08:30 AM
Awesome rig, should perform well. :thumbsup:

Only thing, IMO, is the i7-950. Why not just save money and get a 920, and OC? 920s are as low as $199.99.

grey_1
11-05-10, 08:54 AM
I think your new rig is going to rock pretty much anything you throw at it.

Very nice! :thumbsup:

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 09:09 AM
Awesome rig, should perform well. :thumbsup:

Only thing, IMO, is the i7-950. Why not just save money and get a 920, and OC? 920s are as low as $199.99.

The 930 is 210, the 950 228. Bit of a no brainer really. They never had the 920 but were selling them for 210 too.

Maverick123w
11-05-10, 09:32 AM
Please let me know if you have any issues at all with xfire. I'm still stuck between 2 6870s or a single 6970. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 09:34 AM
Please let me know if you have any issues at all with xfire. I'm still stuck between 2 6870s or a single 6970. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

No problem. I'll get some benchies done if everything goes smoothly. Don't have many games to try out though yet.

Bearclaw
11-05-10, 09:41 AM
The 930 is 210, the 950 228. Bit of a no brainer really. They never had the 920 but were selling them for 210 too.

Got it. And that was a typo on my part. I meant 930.

Maverick123w
11-05-10, 10:12 AM
No problem. I'll get some benchies done if everything goes smoothly. Don't have many games to try out though yet.

:thumbsup:

v3rninater
11-05-10, 11:15 AM
Now this is a good build, gratz m8, have fun!

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 12:06 PM
Now this is a good build, gratz m8, have fun!

Must admit, I got suckered with marketing. The HAF X came with a free CM Inferno Storm Mouse and I needed one but for 140 for both items..... couldn't resist.

Later down the line ill be water cooling and ramping that CPU upto 4.5Ghz with any luck.

When it's built tomorrow ill keep everything stock and post pics of benches and probably download Crysis off Steam to bench that.

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 02:50 PM
Hmmm....

Ok, so I will install the SSD in ACHI mode but doesn't that change that particular mode for all of the SATA ports in that section, or does it only apply to that particular drive?

red777star
11-05-10, 03:22 PM
If you can afford it i would go with Raid 1 SSD or Raid 0 SSD setup. It is something amazing.

Roadhog
11-05-10, 03:34 PM
If you can afford it i would go with Raid 1 SSD or Raid 0 SSD setup. It is something amazing.

Why would you do raid 1 on an SSD setup? That is the largest waste of money ever.

v3rninater
11-05-10, 03:42 PM
Why would you do raid 1 on an SSD setup? That is the largest waste of money ever.

Agreed, until they get trim support, or until they make it so SSD's don't get bogged down after lots of use.

People-A, AHCI mode won't affect your other drives, AHCI mode is like an open mode for SATA that will allow any SATA device to use it's full features.

Don't worry man, it's a good build, I'm excited for Black Ops, and the new cards coming out really soon. I wish that the AMD and NV cards would release at the same time, or a week apart. The 69xx cards are coming in December, GAH that's a long time to wait with a new NV card out there. Wish they would release numbers before the release of the cards!!!

red777star
11-05-10, 03:46 PM

Cause performance is pretty much same as Raid 0. Yes you lose all the space of one SSD but you get amazing performance and also backup. Speaking of trimming. HDD Erase 3.3 will do a magic for most of SSDs. It restore to its factory speed.

Roadhog
11-05-10, 03:47 PM
Cause performance is pretty much same as Raid 0. Yes you lose all the space of one SSD but you get amazing performance and also backup.

obviously you dont know what raid 1 is.

red777star
11-05-10, 03:50 PM
obviously you dont know what raid 1 is.

Read performance is as Raid 0
Raid 0 - 2x80gb = 160gb max read/write speed
Raid 1 - 2x80gb = 80gb max read/slower write then with Raid 0 but faster then single drive
In Raid 1 you can unplug one of your drives and system will work fine
In Raid 0 if any of drives goes bad you lose everything

Ok?

Since there is no Trim support for Intel 80Gb G1 model, after 6+ months i perform secured erase on each of them using HDD Erase 3.3 and it gets restored to full speed. Raid 1 is very handy there cause i don't have to rebuild system.

Roadhog
11-05-10, 04:05 PM
Read performance is as Raid 0
Raid 0 - 2x80gb = 160gb max read/write speed
Raid 1 - 2x80gb = 80gb max read/slower write then with Raid 0
In Raid 1 you can unplug one of your drives and system will work fine
In Raid 0 if any of drives goes bad you lose everything

Ok?

Sure the read speed of raid 1 can come close to raid 0, but you need to do duplexing, 2 or more controllers depending on the number of drives you have. Those come with a hefty price tag. You can also do software RAID 1 to get the read speeds. But that's kind of pointless since you can't boot off it then.

For onboard controllers, RAID 1 is not worth it at all with SSD's. It's pretty easy and much cheaper to do a nightly backup to a mechanical drive of your RAID 0 array.

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 04:06 PM
I have no intention of using RAID, at all. Don't see the point with the joys of SSD good as they are.

The drive I bought supports TRIM which is suppose to help out matters.

Funny thing, my biggest worry about this build is fitting the blasted cpu cooler. I haven't done it in years, and they were never this big and bulky.

Pretty much looks like I will have to install it while the motherboard is in the case, support it with one hand and then reach around? lol (That sounds so wrong.)

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 04:08 PM
Agreed, until they get trim support, or until they make it so SSD's don't get bogged down after lots of use.

People-A, AHCI mode won't affect your other drives, AHCI mode is like an open mode for SATA that will allow any SATA device to use it's full features.

Don't worry man, it's a good build, I'm excited for Black Ops, and the new cards coming out really soon. I wish that the AMD and NV cards would release at the same time, or a week apart. The 69xx cards are coming in December, GAH that's a long time to wait with a new NV card out there. Wish they would release numbers before the release of the cards!!!

Guy at Scan said the 580 had appeared on an incoming stock sheet but only had TBA and no price. He said that usually means it's really close. When it happened with the 68xxs , was only 2 and half weeks later till they were on their system fully.

If he is correct, hope he doesn't get fired for divulging info, was a very nice dude.

Drolfrawd
11-05-10, 04:10 PM
excellent rig :D

v3rninater
11-05-10, 04:14 PM
Guy at Scan said the 580 had appeared on an incoming stock sheet but only had TBA and no price. He said that usually means it's really close. When it happened with the 68xxs , was only 2 and half weeks later till they were on their system fully.

If he is correct, hope he doesn't get fired for divulging info, was a very nice dude.

Oh dude, blame china for the info devulging, lol, but anyhow, your rig will still be very, very good man. I'm excited for yee! Hopefully you got a nice large LCD that can run hi-res hi-speed for all that great hardware.

Peoples-Agent
11-05-10, 04:37 PM
Oh dude, blame china for the info devulging, lol, but anyhow, your rig will still be very, very good man. I'm excited for yee! Hopefully you got a nice large LCD that can run hi-res hi-speed for all that great hardware.

Thats next on the list. Got a 22" Viewsonic at 1080p atm but has a nice 2ms response to keep me going.

Any tips for the cooler install? Best to install mobo and do it with it in the case?

Sazar
11-05-10, 05:11 PM
Enjoy your new stuff dude :D

I am waiting to see what Nvidia and AMD have up their sleeves this month before buying my next card :D

v3rninater
11-05-10, 06:15 PM
Enjoy your new stuff dude :D

I am waiting to see what Nvidia and AMD have up their sleeves this month before buying my next card :D

coqbawlshews

This is what I'll be doin as well, I don't know if I'll be able to hold out till Dec. for the AMD stuff, cause GORSH DORNEET, I WANNA NEW CARD MOMMY!!! I've been waiting since teh 480's came out, holdin my peace if ya know what I mean!!