PDA

View Full Version : AMD Phenom II X3 vs X4

esaym
11-05-10, 07:07 PM
I am looking at buying the first (and last) upgrade for my current motherboard (ASUS M3A79-T). I am getting more ram but I am not sure what cpu to get. Right now the phenom x3 and x4 are almost the same price. I have a dual core amd right now. I only have a thermalright xp-90 for the HS though and I am not buying another HS (too much trouble to remove the mobo).

I am wondering if this HS will be good enough for the x3 let alone the x4? The fan I have is a variable pwm which can do a max of 3k rpm and 55cfm. Although right now, I rarely see it go above 2.5k with cpu temps of 55. So it seems like I might not have much more head room. So what yall think?

ragejg
11-05-10, 07:10 PM
If x3 and x4 are real close in price, get the x4 for sure. You're not always guaranteed an unlock with an x3.

Don't get me wrong, I love the x3; I'm probably the biggest proponent of them in my region of the United States. :p But a good deal is a good deal. :)

esaym
11-05-10, 08:06 PM
Well the issue here is not really performance but can I do this and still maintain a semi-quiet pc with my current cooling capacity.