PDA

View Full Version : How does this build sound for a first-timer?

NWCook
11-07-10, 09:06 AM
I was wondering if you guys could give some insight about this gaming PC. I have never built a computer before and am a bit apprehensive. I don't plan to overclock.

CPU: Intel Core i7 950 (3.06GHz 8MB L3) using stock fan
Motherboard: Intel Extreme X58 DX58SO
Memory: Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) PC3-12800 1600MHz
Video Card: Geforce GTX 470
SSD: Intel X25M 160GB
Case: Antec 902
PSU: Antec TP Quattro 1000W
DVD Drive: Samsung

Monitor: Samsung PX2370 23" 1920x1080
Speakers: Altec Lansing VS2621 (not much of an audiophile)
KB + Mouse: Logitech Wireless

Anything else I need? Also could you recommend any good websites to help a first-time PC builder? Thanks.

ragejg
11-07-10, 09:51 AM
Hi NWCook. As NV News Editor In Chief and a moderator of these forums, I am very much a proponent of the NV News community as a means to get great PC building/maintenance advice. :)

It looks to me like you're building a fairly high-end system, with quality components that will last a while, especially if you cool it correctly.

If I were you I'd get this system together, post some pics, spend some time in our benchmarking forums and assess your system's performance, and enjoy the community here! :)

Vardant
11-07-10, 10:02 AM
Monitor: Samsung PX2370 23" 1920x1080

I think this would be a better choice - http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=usl=en&cs=19&sku=320-9270

Btw. you're only getting the SSD?

bob saget
11-07-10, 12:33 PM
i think he should get something other than the stock cooler.
Corsair H50 or any number of air coolers.

Drolfrawd
11-07-10, 01:02 PM
Welcome any questions........... just ask me ..no problem

Madpistol
11-07-10, 01:03 PM
www.newegg.com is one of the best, if not the best place to get parts for a new computer. That only applies if your in the United States, though.

This is a far superior Power Supply compared to the one you have picked out. It's 80 PLUS Silver Certified, modular, and it comes with a 7-year warranty. You don't need anywhere close to 1000-watts to power that system, but I'll go ahead and recommend a high-output PSU anyway.

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011)

I like the Antec 902, but I recommend you spend a little extra and get a case that has a couple more features, looks better, and has equally as good, if not better air-flow. The best part about this case is that it should last for years after you've retired this build and put all new parts in it.

NZXT Phantom Full Tower Case (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068)

I got that case for my fiance's system, and honestly, I wish I had one too. My Antec 900 has been great, but the NZXT Phantom is better in every way. Plus, with the size of graphics cards growing, it would give you more space for a 12-13" GPU. On top of that, the case is virtually silent when the fans are set to their lowest setting. At full speed, it's still very quiet. The Phantom is an absolutely amazing case.

Also, you really need to get a good 1 or 2TB Hard Drive to install games and other files on. Might I recommend this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533)?

That's a beast of a build. Take those suggestions that I recommended, and it will be even better. :)

methimpikehoses
11-07-10, 01:05 PM
i think he should get something other than the stock cooler.
Corsair H50 or any number of air coolers.

he has no plans to overclock, bob. the stock cooler is fine for that. please pay attention.

god is in the details.

Sazar
11-07-10, 01:10 PM
Looks good.

Personally, I recommend maybe waiting till the end of the month for the new cards to be announced so you can make a more informed decision.

methimpikehoses
11-07-10, 01:11 PM
Personally, I recommend maybe waiting till the end of the month for the new cards to be announced so you can make a more informed decision.

this. new cards are just around the corner, and that means price drops are too. :cool:

bob saget
11-07-10, 01:11 PM
he has no plans to overclock, bob. the stock cooler is fine for that. please pay attention.

god is in the details.

:rofl

NWCook
11-08-10, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

I'll probably add a 1GB hard drive (maybe WD Caviar Green) but I'm a little confused about what data goes on the SSD and what goes on the HDD. I heard the OS goes on the SSD and games/big files go on the HDD but shouldn't the games go on the SSD? Can you use the SSD/HDD at the same time? Is an SSD/HDD combo easy to setup/use/maintain?

Also does that thermal paste goo you need to connect the CPU and heatsink come with the CPU or do I have to order that separately?

Thanks again.

Vardant
11-08-10, 02:09 PM
It comes with the cooler, but it wouldn't hurt to order a better one. You'll get lower temps.

XDanger
11-08-10, 04:39 PM
MX-3 was best last time I looked.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?mID=274&cPath=39