PDA

View Full Version : Need UPS advice

XDanger
11-12-10, 03:30 PM
Sometimes I run out of electricity so I got an APC Smart-UPS 1500va 980w but the software that the APC site recommends for it isn't for plain old 7 HP like I've got

so...
Will the home user version software work just as well with this UPS?

Do I even need the APC software or will windows power management be fine?

Will this thing make my PC explode? :headexplode:

logan
11-12-10, 04:46 PM
What's 7 HP? I've got a Smart-UPS 750 at home and a Back-UPS 550 at work and I've never used APC's software, just apcupsd on Linux and the builtin energy settings on OSX, although I think they have versions for both. I imagine Windows power management will be fine...

I setup my systems to power off when the UPS is down to 5 minutes (~15 minutes runtime under load) and then to power on when power is restored (vs last state).

betterdan
11-12-10, 05:24 PM
You run out of electricity? :wtf:

I think he means Win 7 Home Premium.

XDanger
11-12-10, 07:27 PM
Thanks Logan, I wont bother installing either.
Another question though is how long do the batteries last as in their average lifetime?

You run out of electricity? :wtf:

I think he means Win 7 Home Premium.

yes and yes

I have a key meter for the leccy.

logan
11-12-10, 08:35 PM
I think APC says it's usually 3-5 years. I just replaced the battery pack in my 750 after about 2.75 when the runtime went down to 5 minutes.

LydianKnight
11-13-10, 05:42 AM
Sometimes I run out of electricity so I got an APC Smart-UPS 1500va 980w but the software that the APC site recommends for it isn't for plain old 7 HP like I've got

so...
Will the home user version software work just as well with this UPS?

Do I even need the APC software or will windows power management be fine?

Will this thing make my PC explode? :headexplode:

Ok, step by step...

1. An interruptible power supply should ideally be seen like it is, a power supply, an intermediate energy source in your 'computer loop'. Nothing more, nothing less.

Real benefit of management software? For me... about to measure the wearout level of the
battery itself, but apart from that... why do you need a measurement of about how much time do you need until the battery is depleted?

The average user (me included) will just notice the switch and turn off the game/application he/she is using and be ready for a safe shut down. At least it's what I do, so the battery acts like sudden-shutdown prevention mechanism, nothing more :P

2. Both Windows and Linux (don't know about Mac OS) have pretty good management software, at least... they're good to go. But well... it's more like I said before, if you're up for more advanced uses of the software, I don't know what to tell you. Minimalism has its downsides, after all haha :P

3. Absolutely, every UPS has (secretly, of course) 200gr. of Uranium-238 surrounded by 800gr. of C4 in a spherical configuration, but...

... you need to know the detonation codes before the fun :naughty:

XDanger
11-13-10, 05:57 AM
3. Absolutely, every UPS has (secretly, of course) 200gr. of Uranium-238 surrounded by 800gr. of C4 in a spherical configuration, but...

... you need to know the detonation codes before the fun :naughty:

hehe:D

I was given this thing and I think the battery is getting on a bit but a look on eBay says a new battery is still cheaper than a budget UPS so I'm happy that it wasnt a wasted effort lugging it home on the train.

My problem is now where to put it, Will my PC be safe sitting on top of it? And will it interfere with bluetooth or my AV remote sender?

LydianKnight
11-13-10, 06:13 AM
I don't know... my previous UPS (I'm currently running without it at the moment) was on the lower part of my desk and my case on top of the desk and so far... no problems. But if you mean like the PC sitting right on top of the battery... not sure, but they should (theoretically) be designed not to produce EM interferences, so... pfffff I don't think there's a risk on that, but I'd prefer if others write their opinions...

logan
11-13-10, 11:36 AM
Since it's used make sure you do a battery calibration by charging it up to 100% and putting on at least 30-40% load and pulling the plug then let it run until the battery dies (put a system or two at their bios or something). This should be done once a year (or when replacing the battery pack) to let the UPS know how the battery is doing so it can properly calculate the runtime.

XDanger
11-14-10, 07:29 AM
thanks for that.