PDA

View Full Version : Meine power supply ist kaput.

ViN86
11-13-10, 11:44 AM
My power supply died today. I hope PC Power and Cooling has a good RMA service. It was a really expensive power supply and I wasn't running it at capacity or anything. It just crackled, smoked, then died.

I don't have a computer atm except this laptop. Bummer. :(

methimpikehoses
11-13-10, 11:50 AM
which model? sorry for your loss.

Redeemed
11-13-10, 12:11 PM
My power supply died today. I hope PC Power and Cooling has a good RMA service. It was a really expensive power supply and I wasn't running it at capacity or anything. It just crackled, smoked, then died.

Wow, this really sucks bro. :(

By chance do you have another PSU you can throw in just too see if any components were damaged?

Maverick123w
11-13-10, 12:16 PM

PCP&C has a really good rep so I imagine they have a good rma service.

grey_1
11-13-10, 01:54 PM
PCP&C has a really good rep so I imagine they have a good rma service.

I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd one I've heard of dying, that's pretty good. Hope they fix you up quickly Vin.

mullet
11-13-10, 02:33 PM
Damn sorry Vin, mine is still hanging in there.

ViN86
11-13-10, 03:29 PM
Thanks guys. It was the 1 kilowatt model. PC Power has a good reputation so hopefully they take care of me with the RMA. I don't have one to use in the meantime. I just hope it didn't damage any of my other components. :o

ViN86
11-16-10, 10:41 AM
PC Power and Cooling agreed to RMA my power supply. Hopefully I don't have to pay for shipping to them. The damn thing weighs a ton. I may have to use a USPS flat rate box.

In the meantime, I think I am going to pick up a power supply from a local Microcenter. All the cheap power supplies I have found have really bad reviews and ratings. This one I found seems to be ok.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0328088

It has all the connections I need. Anyone have experience with Coolermaster power supplies? How are they? Good quality?

grey_1
11-16-10, 11:45 AM
PC Power and Cooling agreed to RMA my power supply. Hopefully I don't have to pay for shipping to them. The damn thing weighs a ton. I may have to use a USPS flat rate box.

In the meantime, I think I am going to pick up a power supply from a local Microcenter. All the cheap power supplies I have found have really bad reviews and ratings. This one I found seems to be ok.

It has all the connections I need. Anyone have experience with Coolermaster power supplies? How are they? Good quality?

I've never used one, but I've never seen anything bad written about them either.

Maverick123w
11-16-10, 12:35 PM
I've never used one, but I've never seen anything bad written about them either.

Most of the reviews I've read about them seem to have the positioned somewhere between the ****ty brands and the good ones like PCP&C/Corsair/XFX/Seasonic Etc.

So decent power supplies but I wouldn't want to bet my hardware on them.

grey_1
11-16-10, 12:44 PM
Most of the reviews I've read about them seem to have the positioned somewhere between the ****ty brands and the good ones like PCP&C/Corsair/XFX/Seasonic Etc.

You said it better than me. :D

ViN86
11-16-10, 01:13 PM

5 year warranty with overvoltage, undervoltage, and overpower protection. I need it to last 2 weeks until my PC Power and Cooling PSU gets back. I am going to go for it lol.

ViN86
11-16-10, 06:18 PM
Picked it up and got it running. Hopefully it holds up for a few weeks until my PC Power and Cooling PSU gets back. :o

mullet
11-16-10, 07:27 PM
TF2 Fooo00o0o

ViN86
12-08-10, 04:12 PM
So I sent in the PSU to PC Power and Cooling, and they said they hooked it up to their machine and couldn't find anything wrong! WTF!?

I smelled something burning in the back of the PSU, but they opened it and said they couldn't find anything wrong. It's very strange. They said it was quite dusty. Maybe the dust shorted out some components and burned up? I can't figure it out. In the end it cost me $50 for the new PSU and $20 to ship it to CA. Bummer. :(

mullet
12-08-10, 04:14 PM
did it make your PC shut off?

ViN86
12-08-10, 05:05 PM
did it make your PC shut off?

Yea. My computer turned off. Then I went to turn it back on and it was crackling. Then I turned it off, let it sit, then turned it back on and it crackled more, started smoking some, and I could smell burnt electronics.

Now PC Power gets it and tells me they didn't find anything wrong. WTF?!

Roadhog
12-08-10, 05:50 PM
Yea. My computer turned off. Then I went to turn it back on and it was crackling. Then I turned it off, let it sit, then turned it back on and it crackled more, started smoking some, and I could smell burnt electronics.

Now PC Power gets it and tells me they didn't find anything wrong. WTF?!

Have you checked all the power plugs, and looked closely at the traces on the motherboard and components?

ViN86
12-08-10, 05:56 PM
Have you checked all the power plugs, and looked closely at the traces on the motherboard and components?

I'm using the machine still. There doesn't seem to be any problems with it. I smelled the power supply and it smelled like burnt electronics. The whole thing is really weird.

Roadhog
12-08-10, 05:59 PM
I'm using the machine still. There doesn't seem to be any problems with it. I smelled the power supply and it smelled like burnt electronics. The whole thing is really weird.

if it still works then wtf lol

maybe a bug crawled in it.

Redeemed
12-09-10, 12:59 AM

:rofl

Most expensive bug zapper evar?

mullet
12-09-10, 01:28 AM

:lol2:

methimpikehoses
12-09-10, 01:36 AM
self-healing power supplies FTW.

Logical
12-09-10, 11:15 AM

Nothing wrong with the coolermaster real power....

Had 2 now, first was a 850W i sold with my old SLI 8800GTX rig which is over 4 years old and still going strong and the second is in the PC i use now which is the 1000W version. Excellent ratings tbh, very good warranty, awesome performance and i would put them on par with Corsair, xfx and seasonic anyday.

80 plus version for the picky ones http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6663

Im not too sure about the Coolermaster GX PSU's nor have i ever heard of them but the Real Power series are considered very good.

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/coolermaster_real_power_pro_m1000_1000w_modular_ps u/1