PDA

View Full Version : UK retailers want to ban Steam games??

Pages : [1] 2 3

grey_1
11-14-10, 11:59 AM
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157084

From the news thread.

While I do think games should not be 100% tied to a specific digital download platform, this may be a bit drastic as more and more games seem to be tying themselves to the service.

What have you members from the UK heard about this?

JasonPC
11-14-10, 12:19 PM
Hey if you can't beat 'em, bring out the lawyers.

Sean_W
11-14-10, 12:31 PM
It's a bit annoying really, since Steam is the middle man that doesn't need to be in the middle. It's got good and bad points to it.

Good:

You can download your game from Steam if you lose your retail copy.

You don't need the CD/DVD in the drive to play.

Bad:

It's a middle man service like GFWL, where you need an account to get the best out of the game.

It can indeed monopolise how people buy PC games.

In the end, retailers don't stock much in the line of PC games anyway, since they blamed piracy and console games are the main sellers in their stores, not PC.

Peoples-Agent
11-14-10, 01:57 PM
They want the box product in the stores again, but aren't willing to commit shelf space without a head start.

I guess they also get sick of people coming into the shop with Steam related issues that are totally out of their control.

Personally, i'd sooner walk into a store and see shelves upon shelves of stacked PC games... new and old, just how it use to be. We got a one small lousy PC section in just about every store nowadays.

This is why retailers have issues with it, I guess.

K007
11-14-10, 02:25 PM
http://games.on.net/article/10744/Steam_Killing_PC_Market_-_Retailers_to_Ban_Steam_Integrated_Games

Yes you read that headline correct. Major retailers, both physical and also online, have come on record and voiced concern that Valve's digital download service Steam is killing the PC market and they won't stand for it, threatening not to sell titles if publishers do not remove Steam integration from their games.
:headexplode:

AthlonXP1800
11-14-10, 02:42 PM
No it is not all about high street retailers so it all about digital retailers. GAME also sell download games but people prefer buy it on steam because it has huge library of games available to buy and download which GAME cant compete.

Take Call of Duty: Black Ops PC for example, GAME sell both retail and digital download for 34.99 but struggle to compete 5 cheaper than Steam overpriced 39.99. I can find cheapest Call of Duty: Black Ops PC DVD retail for 29.99 with free delivery.

What I dont understand why is Steam charge more on PC games than high street retailers and digital retailers?

Redeemed
11-14-10, 02:44 PM
Before steam retailers didn't a lot much space to PC Gaming, there was a small section dominated by several large console sections. And then they complain when they see Steam doing so well?

I think they're only griping cause they figured PC gaming was either dying or becoming a niche market. After seeing the sucess steam is having they're probably a bit jealous. Should have thought of that before you catered primarily to consoles, idiots.

Go steam. I'd like them to have some competition just to keep them on their toes, but I have no sympathy for the retailers. Hind-sight is 20/20 and they can now see what dumb asses they were. Their loss, Valve's gain.

JohnDio
11-14-10, 03:36 PM
Let's ban all PC games instead. Then every retailer will be happy :lol: :lol:

Mr. Hunt
11-14-10, 04:28 PM
Would be dumb. I ONLY buy my PC games through Steam, so **** those guys.

Viral
11-14-10, 06:52 PM
Before steam retailers didn't a lot much space to PC Gaming, there was a small section dominated by several large console sections. And then they complain when they see Steam doing so well?

I think they're only griping cause they figured PC gaming was either dying or becoming a niche market. After seeing the sucess steam is having they're probably a bit jealous. Should have thought of that before you catered primarily to consoles, idiots.

Go steam. I'd like them to have some competition just to keep them on their toes, but I have no sympathy for the retailers. Hind-sight is 20/20 and they can now see what dumb asses they were. Their loss, Valve's gain.

+1

Game retailers are going down the road of Blockbuster. Digital distribution will take over, deal with it.

grey_1
11-15-10, 09:13 AM
+1

Game retailers are going down the road of Blockbuster. Digital distribution will take over, deal with it.

Most everything I play is through Steam anyway. Like I said earlier, I'm not crazy about being forced to use it, but if it has to be tied to a digital platform, then Steam is what I'll choose every time.

Bearclaw
11-15-10, 10:02 AM
I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in at least 4 years, and I never will. They don't distribute them online, I won't buy it.

Redeemed
11-15-10, 10:04 AM
I haven't bought a physical copy of a game in at least 4 years, and I never will. They don't distribute them online, I won't buy it.

srs Bearclaw iz, srs.

:bleh:

Smee
11-15-10, 10:17 AM
Anyone who owns a smaller retail brick and mortar shop (save maybe a convenience store) Needs to realize their days are numbered.

Bearclaw
11-15-10, 10:34 AM
srs Bearclaw iz, srs.

:bleh:

:lol:

I just don't want the hassle of driving out to a store, and getting the stupid ****ing box copy. I don't NEED to play games but I do because they make it convenient. Take out the convenience factor and I would just drop the hobby.

Yaboze
11-15-10, 10:57 AM
Exactly. Any PC gamer that goes into a Gamestop or similar store will have to look hard for the PC section, which in most cases near where I live, is a small rack in the rear of the store that has the Sims 3, WoW Warchest, Starcraft 2, Spore and some other titles. They aren't even on the wall anymore. This has been happening for years now, so PC gamers have gone elsewhere: online.

The no CD/DVD check, streamlined service and management of files and patches through Steam is a no-brainer. Any PC gamer these days worth his salt uses Steam for his primary game management.

ViN86
11-15-10, 11:07 AM
Every PC gaming section I've seen in the past 2 years has been one shelf with games from 2 years ago still priced at $50. It's a disgrace.

Bearclaw
11-15-10, 11:42 AM
Exactly. Any PC gamer that goes into a Gamestop or similar store will have to look hard for the PC section, which in most cases near where I live, is a small rack in the rear of the store that has the Sims 3, WoW Warchest, Starcraft 2, Spore and some other titles. They aren't even on the wall anymore. This has been happening for years now, so PC gamers have gone elsewhere: online.

The no CD/DVD check, streamlined service and management of files and patches through Steam is a no-brainer. Any PC gamer these days worth his salt uses Steam for his primary game management.

Every PC gaming section I've seen in the past 2 years has been one shelf with games from 2 years ago still priced at $50. It's a disgrace.

This and this.

Sean_W
11-15-10, 12:00 PM

Well, my local Tesco have two shelves full of PC games and the latest ones as well. They're cheaper than Steam too. Picked Crysis up for 6, yet on Steam it's 16.99.

grey_1
11-15-10, 12:06 PM
Well, my local Tesco have two shelves full of PC games and the latest ones as well. They're cheaper than Steam too. Picked Crysis up for 6, yet on Steam it's 16.99.

It's hit or miss in my area. What kills me the most is seeing 2-3 year old games (or older) still selling for full retail, but getting a game off the shelf on release day is next to impossible.

Bearclaw
11-15-10, 12:22 PM
It's hit or miss in my area. What kills me the most is seeing 2-3 year old games (or older) still selling for full retail, but getting a game off the shelf on release day is next to impossible.

It's all miss for me. Hit or miss for you. Both of us live in fairly big cities.

It seems EVERY retailer has the SAME EXACT selection of games. They are all old also. NOTHING new gets into stores for PC. They did it to themselves and now they are complaining about it. Hmph.

LydianKnight
11-15-10, 01:07 PM

This.

People just don't want to realize the future of entertainment media is digital distribution.

Does it have its own dose of problems? Of course! Like everything in our world, but it's better than having to take a drive to find a tier 1 game (like I had to do in the past to help my brother find a zelda game on the Gamecube at the time) or find precisely that... a miserable rack full of titles 3 years old (at best).

I can't, however, talk about overpricing because we're 'accepting' paying $50/50+ for what it's usually called a 'Tier 1' game which, after playing, you really wish you could have spent that money in a kerosene can and a box of matches just to set the developer/publisher building on fire (with them inside) :bleh:

Bearclaw
11-15-10, 01:21 PM
This.

People just don't want to realize the future of entertainment media is digital distribution.

Does it have its own dose of problems? Of course! Like everything in our world, but it's better than having to take a drive to find a tier 1 game (like I had to do in the past to help my brother find a zelda game on the Gamecube at the time) or find precisely that... a miserable rack full of titles 3 years old (at best).

I can't, however, talk about overpricing because we're 'accepting' paying $50/50+ for what it's usually called a 'Tier 1' game which, after playing, you really wish you could have spent that money in a kerosene can and a box of matches just to set the developer/publisher building on fire (with them inside) :bleh:

Ya, I always wait for prices to come down. Games aren't worth 50-60-70 bucks. Ridiculous.

Sean_W
11-15-10, 01:39 PM
Yeah but Steam is a ripoff for the most part. They do some good deals sometimes but their retail prices are inflated.

I suppose it depend where you are but I have a Tesco store near me and I prefer to buy from there because they are cheaper.

Black Ops:
Steam 39.99
Tesco Store 34.99

Fallout New Vegas:
Steam 29.99
Tesco Store 24.70

Battlefield BC2:
Steam 19.99
Tesco Store 15

MOH:
Steam 29.99
Tesco Store 27.70

Mafia 2:
Steam 29.99
Tesco Store 27.70

Left4Dead 2:
Steam 14.99
Tesco Store 12

Bioshock 2:
Steam 19.99
Tesco Store 10

Risen:
Steam 19.99(9.99 sale)
Tesco Store 13

Crysis:
Steam 16.99
Tesco Store 6

grey_1
11-15-10, 01:47 PM
It's all miss for me. Hit or miss for you. Both of us live in fairly big cities.

It seems EVERY retailer has the SAME EXACT selection of games. They are all old also. NOTHING new gets into stores for PC. They did it to themselves and now they are complaining about it. Hmph.

Exactly - heh, the more I think about this the more I'm leaning towards supporting nothing but digital.