PDA

View Full Version : Why have all of my DVD drives been picky reading movies and games?

ragejg
11-14-10, 09:47 PM
Some guys have bad luck with PSUs, some with RAM, some with sound cards...

With me it's been DVD drives. Over the last few years I've used two DVD-R/RW drives, one's a Lite On bought in 08, the other was a Memorex bought in '06. Each one seems to have its own issues reading either movies or games. The Memorex hates its share of movies, and won't read halo 2 or Gears of War. The Lite On just won't read about half the movies I try to play.

Man! :mad:

I mean, right now I barely use discs at all. But when I want to order a physical disc from Netflix (this week: Tarantino Presents: Hellride :p), I need a drive that's not gonna throw fits... and I don't have a dedicated DVD player (I really don't want the added clutter, and my PC does double duty, desk and TV).

Well, I know that my next drive is a Blu-Ray (and for some reason I don't anticipate this kind of problem with future drives), but I just thought I'd ask everyone here if they've had experiences with stupid-flaky DVD drives.

Redeemed
11-14-10, 09:50 PM
I used to use older parts for my computers. Back then I always had issues. But ever since I started buying new I've not had any problems really. Currently rocking an LG Blu-Ray/DVD-Burner and haven't had any issues. Barely use it so though it's well over a year old due to lack of use it should be like new. :lol:

Roadhog
11-14-10, 09:57 PM
you should send me a 16x or higher dvd burner.

grey_1
11-14-10, 09:58 PM
Lite-on has released a few firmware updates that fixed my issues reading discs.

http://us.liteonit.com/us/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=153

I don't remember the model I had, just swapped to an optiarc about 6 months ago, but the updates worked nicely.

Redeemed
11-14-10, 10:02 PM
you should send me a 16x or higher dvd burner.

Are you seriously in need of one? Cause I think I may have a couple laying around... SATA if I recall correctly. Let me know.

Same with you Rage. :)

ragejg
11-14-10, 10:09 PM
I used to use older parts for my computers. Back then I always had issues. But ever since I started buying new I've not had any problems really. Currently rocking an LG Blu-Ray/DVD-Burner and haven't had any issues. Barely use it so though it's well over a year old due to lack of use it should be like new. :lol:

I feel ya there, I do. But I never could classify the Memorex drive as "old"... and the Lite On was bought new in '08... it's not like they had daily stressful duty, they read a disc about once every two weeks, know what I mean?

Redeemed if this Lite On (or maybe it's an LG actually, idk) decides to be more of a thorn in my side maybe I'll shoot ya a PM. :)

Redeemed
11-14-10, 10:13 PM
I feel ya there, I do. But I never could classify the Memorex drive as "old"... and the Lite On was bought new in '08... it's not like they had daily stressful duty, they read a disc about once every two weeks, know what I mean?

Redeemed if this Lite On (or maybe it's an LG actually, idk) decides to be more of a thorn in my side maybe I'll shoot ya a PM. :)

NP buddy. Can't promise as I don't know for sure I have 'em... just remember that I've been collecting parts slowly to put together two more rigs (a server and a dedicated linux box). Most of the parts are in storage but I'm like 98% sure I've got two DVD burners in there... both SATA I believe. Just let me know if you need one and I'll see if I can pull 'em out. I'll test 'em of course to make sure nothing happened while they were stored. Should be like new though. :)

Roadhog
11-14-10, 10:34 PM
Are you seriously in need of one? Cause I think I may have a couple laying around... SATA if I recall correctly. Let me know.

Same with you Rage. :)

I just want the laser diod from it lol.

grey_1
11-15-10, 05:35 AM
Did ya even try a firmware update?

lduguay
11-15-10, 08:10 AM
Rage,
My opticals dies every now and then, mainly caused by cig's smoke. My case has a giant fan sucking the ambient air into the various components inside the case. The first victims are always the opticals.

The next victim might be myself. (lee63)

Peoples-Agent
11-20-10, 12:02 AM
Rage,
My opticals dies every now and then, mainly caused by cig's smoke. My case has a giant fan sucking the ambient air into the various components inside the case. The first victims are always the opticals.

The next victim might be myself. (lee63)

Cheaper than a pension plus you get access to good morphene. Keep the faith!!

Seen on many occasions where people thought their drives were dying when it was just crappy DRM acting up.

LydianKnight
11-20-10, 09:43 AM
Weird... I never had an optical unit die out of anything...

Although you named two brands I would NEVER put any dime on... even if it sounds weird... LG is the way to go, while they can be very generic, they really work like they should and... that's about it :p

v3rninater
11-20-10, 10:09 AM
I have used ASUS, Pioneer, LG, Samsung, all have worked great for me...OH YEAH, Plextor as well.