PDA

View Full Version : Should I wait?

outsider
07-31-03, 07:50 AM
I am thinking whether getting a FX5600U (Flip-chip) 400/800Mhz at a cheap price or wait for FX5700?

Is there a great performance difference for FX5700?

saturnotaku
07-31-03, 07:52 AM
What do you have now? If it's a GeForce4 Ti or higher class GPU you might as well wait for the NV40/R420. If you have a GeForce3, it's a toss-up but I would probably still wait. If you have a GeForce2 I would definitely say go for the 5600. I don't think the 5700 will offer that much more in the way of performance.

PenguinJim
07-31-03, 07:56 AM
I agree.

A good rule of upgrading is wait until your current system isn't fast enough for you. And then try and wait a little bit more :)

outsider
07-31-03, 12:44 PM
I am currently using a Geforce 2 card and i intent to buy a card that could last me a few years before the next upgrade.

So should i wait for FX 5700 or go for FX 5600U FC?

GlowStick
07-31-03, 01:20 PM
Hm, i think the 5600Ultra Flip Chip is a good card, however the cards that do last the longist are the ultra expensive enthusist boards. However if your system is not that current eather, id recomend getting the 5600 ultra and useing it untill you canot play games to your satisfaction (i do feel that will take some time).

Maybe you could post your general specs?

aapo
07-31-03, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by GlowStick
Hm, i think the 5600Ultra Flip Chip is a good card, however the cards that do last the longist are the ultra expensive enthusist boards.

I don't agree. IMHO the FX5600U is not really a winner card. I'd expect that it's faults (slow pixel shaders, mediocre speed with high clocks) would be fixed in its successor FX5700. I'd definitely wait for the FX5700. If I were you, I'd buy the FX5600U only if I couldn't stand the waiting. Which really doesn't concern me after all, because I prefer ATi's offerings at the moment. :D

StealthHawk
07-31-03, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by outsider
I am thinking whether getting a FX5600U (Flip-chip) 400/800Mhz at a cheap price or wait for FX5700?

Is there a great performance difference for FX5700?

That's a tough question. We really don't know much for certain about the NV36, including price. NV36 will have Ultrashadow, which should help Doom3 out, although to what extent we don't know yet.

What system do you have right now? How long are you willing to wait for NV36? How much are you willing to pay?

outsider
07-31-03, 10:38 PM
Here is my system specification if it helps.
A7v133
Althon 1 Ghz
256MB RAM
Geforce 2
SB Live!
40 GB harddisk

I am will to wait for NV36, but I scare that it will be too expensive.
Currently, i can get FX5600U FC at USD$170. I am willng to pay for FX 5700 if it is USD$200 and if the performance difference is big(maybe 30%).

Malfunction
07-31-03, 11:19 PM
To tell you the truth, I think the money you are considering spending could be more useful on ther components (ie. mobo/cpu). However it is you decision and I couldn't recommend either to you. I would have to suggest what I got, a EVGA FX5200U.

The card is great and inexpensive. It will be a deffinite upgrade from a GF2 for certain, even GF3.

Although if I was you, I would considering putting the money into the CPU atleast imho. :(

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Peace,

:)

PenguinJim
08-01-03, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Malfunction
The card is great and inexpensive. It will be a deffinite upgrade from a GF2 for certain, even GF3.

I thought the FX5200 was around the same performance as a GF4MX, and sometimes slower(!). In that case, it would be slower than a GF3. However, there would be quite a technology leap from a GF2 (DX7 to DX9).

Of course, I have no first-hand experience of any of these. :cool:

Perhaps with that 1gig Athlon, you might wanna try and find a cheap Ti4200? They'd work together well, and you'd see a huge performance increase. Also, at $100 or less, it would be an effective stopgap.

Malfunction
08-01-03, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
I thought the FX5200 was around the same performance as a GF4MX, and sometimes slower(!). In that case, it would be slower than a GF3. However, there would be quite a technology leap from a GF2 (DX7 to DX9).

What you missed was the U on the end of FX5200U. ;) The ultra's are far better than the non ultra's. The exception is the 5900 however, that is the only card I would get that is a Non-Ultra version.

If you look at my sig, it will also indicate which FX5200 Ultra I own along with the model# which should make it even easier to locate the same version I own. Mine has 2.8ns memory on it and seems to be out performing anything I have seen in reviews from PCStats to Hexus, Beyond3D to [H]. I have looked, belive me I have and to my dismay/surprise no one has even decided to do a review on the EVGA model I own. :(

However, I agreed to do whatever bench/settings ragejg has asked of FX5200U owners next week after my new toys come in. My sig states the enfasis on -=:::Next Week:::=- and also informs you of what I own.

Besure to follow the thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15605

Next week as I will have a freshly formatted HD and tweaked out system ready to bench whatever your little hearts desire because I feel lucky that I chose the correct videocard for me at this time. You are probly thinking... "Looney, your system is way too powerful for that card!" Truth is, I really wanted to run this videocard first, before I moved on to the NV40. I like the NV35... but wanted to wait and see what was coming. Turns out a respin of the NV35 (NV38) will be soon and more than likely my choice to run in the system detailed in my sig.

ATi is a great card, just not for me anymore. :) I hope you can accept my decision, I realize many can't and absolutely refuse to stop forcing their beliefs of the ATi line to you. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, hence why we exchange them here in a forum.

Peace,

outsider
08-01-03, 02:39 AM
I intend to get a DX9 card mainstream card, not a highend card because it is too costly. Anyway, my system isn't that powerful too. Therefore, I intend to get FX5600U FC or FX5700. And i don't think i will be getting ATI because the last time i get a Radeon it crashes.

Moreover, i hope to get good card so that i don't need to upgrade my card if i get a new system.

CaptNKILL
08-01-03, 02:45 AM
I intend to get a DX9 card mainstream card, not a highend card because it is too costly. Anyway, my system isn't that powerful too. Therefore, I intend to get FX5600U FC or FX5700. And i don't think i will be getting ATI because the last time i get a Radeon it crashes.

Moreover, i hope to get good card so that i don't need to upgrade my card if i get a new system.

Sounds like you should go with the 5700. Whenever that comes out im sure it will be priced around $200-$250. There are better cards available NOW if you want to go ATI, but the 5700 is probably one of the better cards coming from Nvidia (as long as its released in the next month or two).

StealthHawk
08-01-03, 03:12 AM
Here is my system specification if it helps.
A7v133
Althon 1 Ghz
256MB RAM
Geforce 2
SB Live!
40 GB harddisk

I am will to wait for NV36, but I scare that it will be too expensive.
Currently, i can get FX5600U FC at USD$170. I am willng to pay for FX 5700 if it is USD$200 and if the performance difference is big(maybe 30%).

The thing is, on your system I doubt the 5700 would be any faster than the 5600. Even if the 5700 winds up being 30% than a 5600 on a high end system, you aren't going to see that margin of improvement on your system, mainly because your CPU is slow, and games have been wanting more than 256MB.

P.S. I'm not bashing your system, just being honest. It wasn't that long ago that I was using 256MB of RAM with a 1.33GHz CPU.

So, it might be prudent to wait for the 5700, if only because 5600 prices will eventually drop.

Uttar
08-01-03, 03:41 AM
Ack! What do people have with the FX5700 nowadays? :/
For the last time, the FX5700 is to be released around *October*!
So waiting that long might be kinda odd IMO.
And secondly, the FX5700 *isn't* in the same pricerange as the FX5600! As someone said here, $210-$250 is a reasonable estimate. That is, for the non-ultra model, eh...

Looking at pricewatch...
First of all, the 5600U at 400/400 is awfully expensive.
Secondly, the 5600U at 350Mhz isn't really competitive...
Thirdly, it's a slight, but only slight, overkill for your system.

So, in conclusion, you got three choices:
1) The Radeon 9600 Non-Pro 128MB: $119
2) The GeForce FX 5600 Non-Ultra 128MB: $126
3) The Radeon 9600 Pro 128MB: $140

My suggestion: Take the Radeon 9600 PRO and, if possible, try to overclock it. It's a great card, and if it can overclock a bit, I'm sure it'll last you about two years ( don't hope to have maximum IQ settings then though, eh... )
If you don't want to go ATI, well, take the FX 5600 Non-Ultra :)

Of course, waiting for the FX5700, if you're ready to pay more, might be reasonable. But then, you could just as well take a 9700 Non-Pro now. As always, it depends on whether you want to go with an ATI solution or not.

Uttar

aapo
08-01-03, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Uttar
As always, it depends on whether you want to go with an ATI solution or not.

I believe he said he doesn't want an ATi. But otherwise you're right; with that kind of a CPU the money would be best spent on FX5600-vanilla and perhaps a new CPU if there's enough money left.

outsider
08-01-03, 08:11 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions. I was wondering what is the effective speed that a 2.5ns ram can go up to? I went to see the reviews for FX 5600U FC and all of them are 2.2ns, but the FX 5600U FC card that is 400/800Mhz uses a 2.5ns ram.

Is it strange?

zakelwe
08-01-03, 08:17 AM
If you can get a 5200U 2.8ns for a lot cheaper than a 5600U 400/800 ( don't bother with the present 5600U or 5700 ) I'd be tempted to spend the money you saved on paying for an nforce2 and cheap XP1700+, plus cheap DDR memory.

If not then the 5600U will be a fine base for saving up for your next P4 800FSB system ;)

Regards

Andy

ragejg
08-01-03, 09:15 AM
uhhh, what GAMES are you playing? What games WILL you be playing in this *in-between* era in the coming months?

If you're getting a new system component to help you along, sometimes basing the decision around the technology of the games can help you make a good purchase... ie: are the games cpu or gpu limited? Are you a hi-rez/no aa/af person, a mid to hi rez/aa and af person, or in the middle?

... just some other factors to consider...

PenguinJim
08-01-03, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Malfunction
What you missed was the U on the end of FX5200U. ;) The ultra's are far better than the non ultra's.

Still outperformed by the Ti4200!

Get a Ti4200! They're cheap!

Get a Ti4200! They're strong!

Get a Ti4200! They're fast!

It'll suit your system now, and you'll see a performance increase when you upgrade your mobo/RAM as they scale fairly well. The Ti4200 was the last good GPU nVidia released. You might also want to look for the Ati Radeon 9500 Pro, which was the last good GPU that Ati released (and coincidentally enough, the first).

You should definitely be able to grab a Ti4200 bargain if you use eBay. If DX9 is important to you though, see if you can get a 9500Pro. Each of these will be great for you now, and still good when you upgrade.