PDA

View Full Version : Question about the AA & AF in the games

SH64
07-31-03, 09:52 AM
if you can turn the AA or AF to 2x-8x within the game options ... would it make any difference if you enabled the AA and AF from control panel too??
i mean better grapchics ?? slow framerate & the same graphics ?? ...

saturnotaku
07-31-03, 10:45 AM
Don't know if this is still true or not, but this is what would happen in Serious Sam for me:

On ATI cards, control panel settings always override in-game
On NVIDIA cards, in-game always overrides control panel

Again, I don't know if this is still true but that's the way it worked for me.

The Baron
07-31-03, 10:55 AM
I think control panel overrides everything. But if the game has the option, by all means use that. The new Tomb Raider game runs terribly when you use forced control panel AA/AF instead of the in-game selector (the control panel applies it to everything, while the game doesn't apply it to some of the passes).

SH64
07-31-03, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by The Baron
I think control panel overrides everything. But if the game has the option, by all means use that. The new Tomb Raider game runs terribly when you use forced control panel AA/AF instead of the in-game selector (the control panel applies it to everything, while the game doesn't apply it to some of the passes).

strange !! in TR i had some glitchs in the game & when i turned the AA & AF to 8x in the control panel many graphic issues gone & the picture quality were even better .
i was using FX5800 that time.

StealthHawk
07-31-03, 08:48 PM
Always use the in-game settings if available. The game coders know their games best.

CaptNKILL
08-01-03, 01:10 AM
Well, personally, I found that in Elite Force 2, I get better frame rates AND quality when I disable AA in the game (turning on Nvidia AA mode ingame looks like crap... blurred textures and crappy AA quality) and turn on 4x AA with Atuner. I noticed that the games AA setting (not Nvidia mode) looks the same as the driver 4xAA, but the ingame setting runs a few fps slower (which means a lot when going from 27fps to 32fps minimum).

So, Id say test all the settings for certain games and see which ones run\look better.

raysusan
08-01-03, 02:05 AM
off AA/AF----sharpness
on AA/AF----smoothness
:cool: