PDA

View Full Version : New monitor recommendations

mcolbourn
11-17-10, 10:50 AM
Well I would like to buy a new monitor

Currently I have a 24" 1920*1200 screen slowly on its way out now!! it was cheep when I got it and it has a MVA panel. I don't really want to drop down to 1920*1080 if I could help it and really I would like to go up in Res. I currently use my PC for mainly gaming and some photo and video editing. I was looking at the Dell 2711U it has a higher res and is 16:9 (nice for better FOV in games and also good for video editing) but I have read some reviews and some say its fine for gaming other say otherwise. does anyone have one used one before and tell me what they think. But on the other hand is there a better monitor I don't really have the space nor budget for a 30".

grey_1
11-19-10, 03:44 PM
What about this one that was recommended to me?
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Monitors/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-8277

IPS and 16:10

I haven't bought, but I'm keeping this on my list of possibles.

bob saget
11-19-10, 03:59 PM
thats the one i have. good quality, very bright, but my biggest con would be that it gets really hot. i don't think i have THAT sensitive skin on my face and if the window in the room is not open, i feel the heat.

grey_1
11-19-10, 04:05 PM
thats the one i have. good quality, very bright, but my biggest con would be that it gets really hot. i don't think i have THAT sensitive skin on my face and if the window in the room is not open, i feel the heat.

How's darks, shadows etc? Any washed out appearance bob? That's what I've hated most about LCDs. That and backlight bleed.

bob saget
11-19-10, 04:22 PM
How's darks, shadows etc? Any washed out appearance bob? That's what I've hated most about LCDs. That and backlight bleed.

honestly i couldn't say. i game and watch mostly standard def movies, so for those tasks, it seems fine. whenever i have people over, they always remark how good the picture quality is. is there some sort of test i could run for backlight bleed?

grey_1
11-19-10, 04:25 PM
honestly i couldn't say. i game and watch mostly standard def movies, so for those tasks, it seems fine. whenever i have people over, they always remark how good the picture quality is. is there some sort of test i could run for backlight bleed?

No, I think if it were an issue you would see it.

Thanks bob

Roadhog
11-19-10, 04:26 PM

it's the best 24" lcd you can buy. google some reviews.

grey_1
11-19-10, 04:31 PM
it's the best 24" lcd you can buy. google some reviews.

I will, thanks man.

Going to hold out for (hopefully) holiday sales. Maybe get mah company to pitch in a discount too. :D

mcolbourn
11-20-10, 07:18 AM
Yea I was looking at the U2410 as well as I do like dells and thats why I keep goijg back to the U2711 but I am just not sure about the gaming on it