PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for the Next Half-Life

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

tommyus
11-26-10, 10:44 AM
Gordon Freeman, where are you? We were all so excited to continue your adventure after Episode Two. It ended on a cliffhanger, after all, and we've had no news about what's happened since. Why haven't you sent any updates? Are you in hiding? Do you have enough snacks? What's going on with Alyx? Have you killed all those gross Advisor brain bug things yet? Did you get any new awesome upgrades to your gravity gun? You can do that, right? With your science? Is Dog still totally awesome? Have you ever met Chell?

Come to think of it, why am I even talking to you, Gordon? You never say anything. You just stare blankly at everyone and make them uneasy with a weapon always at the ready. I can't even be sure you have feet.

I tried talking to Valve, but it's just as unhelpful. No matter how badly I want answers, the developer isn't saying anything about the next installment of Half-Life 2. Since initially announcing that the story would continue through three episodes, Valve has been very busy, but all I've heard about are other projects. Granted, these have all been amazing projects: Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, and ongoing Team Fortress 2 updates, amongst others. Yet nothing about the next Half-Life.

It's not a wild thought at this point to assume that Valve has changed course with Episode Three. Back in 2006 Valve founder Gabe Newell talked openly about using the Half-Life 2 Episodes as a replacement for Half-Life 3Valve is widely known to delay projects, but considering we've heard nearly nothing about how the franchise will continue, one might assume the studio is doing something drastically different.

At this point, that only leaves me with one thing to do: speculate about what's taking so long. There's a 110 percent chance Valve has far better ideas than anyone at the IGN offices. But hey, that hasn't prevented the publish of wish list articles in the past. Once you've checked out what I've had to say, feel free to add your own ideas in the comments below, or to yell at me about my dumb ideas.

People like the grav gun. This is no secret. Near the end of Half-Life 2 I liked it even more when it got zapped and upgraded to the super grav gun and let me grab soldiers and fling them around like puppets. I felt like a god. Yet there's a lot more potential here, especially considering the way environments in Half-Life 2 can be ripped apart like the house at the end of Episode Two.

So what if the gravity gun could actually shred the environment? What if chunks could be ripped out of cliffs or tear out sections of skyscrapers and toss them at groups of Combine soldiers and Striders? What if the gun's discharge functionality could be pointed at the ground and serve as some kind of energy boost to high jump or rapidly traverse terrain without the use of a vehicle? If this were the case, everyone's a winner. Except for the Combine.

The grav gun is great because it's a viable combat option throughout the entire game. In most battle scenes there's enough debris lying around to let you grab and fling and knock out Combine soldiers. It was a novel tool back in 2004 and it never felt like a gimmick. So with the next Half-Life installment, I hope to be surprised again. New weapons are sometimes a checkbox kind of marketing feature when companies are putting together sequels. Now featuring quad rocket launchers! Double shotguns! Sticky grenades!

That's all well and good. I like new toys. But what I'm really looking for are substantial new additions that change the entire dynamic of combat, not just kill things faster. The obvious choice is the Portal gun, but here's another suggestion: How about a Net Gun? This could serve to not only disable and disorient Combine soldiers but also to block doorways and passages in defense sequences and tangle up the rotor blades of those ubiquitous attack choppers. Maybe it could even be upgraded to electrify those who come in contact with it? Be shot across a pit to serve as a trampoline? Create new bridges to out of reach platforms? Is this a terrible idea?

Before everyone cries foul over this suggestion, let me be clear: the on-foot sections of Half-Life tend to be the best. The shooting mechanics and dynamics of scrambling around environments to avoid enemy fire and scoop up ammunition are as exciting as they come. The suggestion isn't that Valve should put more vehicle use into the game, but if there have to be vehicle sections, what about letting Gordon hop into a different kind of machine? Like, for example, one of those attack helicopters?

This could be used as an excuse to let Gordon travel large distances without taking you out of the experience too much and without forcing you, once again, to climb into that buggy. It'd also be thrilling to ride a Strider. Or, as an alternative, a return to the purity of the first Half-Life, minus the whole extraterrestrial journey. Anything to keep us out of that buggy. Unless the buggy gets upgraded with giant spider legs.

We caught a glimpse of what was possible here near the end of Episode Two where Gordon had to defend a large area by scrambling between outposts. This was one of the best moments in the entire Half-Life 2 experience. It required me to draw on nearly everything learned throughout the course of the base game and Episodes to survive against a ferocious onslaught of enemies. Where Valve goes in the future will likely hinge on where the story's headed.

Is the developer trying to tell the tale of an epic confrontation between huge numbers of Combine soldiers and a combined force of resistance fighters, or would Valve rather focus on the smaller-scale – the relationship between Alyx, Gordon, and the seemingly omniscient G-Man? Regardless of which direction Valve decides to go, one thing's for sure: the sequence at the end of Episode Two left me breathless. If Valve can build on that to deliver something on an even larger scale that's crafted to instill in the same sense of barely containable chaos, I can't wait to play it.

This is more to be expected than anything else. Valve is constantly tweaking and upgrading its Source code to deliver prettier visuals and more fluid animations to players. Episode Two was the best looking Half-Life yet, though it also showed signs of age. Scrapping Source altogether and moving to something entirely new could, potentially, be part of the reason the next Half-Life is taking so long.

Ideally it's a result of the current technology not being sufficient to support some wild new gameplay mechanic nobody's thought of yet than simply a need to make the game prettier. Either way, Valve's already proven to be a master of stunning facial animation and environment design, and regardless of whether it's Half-Life 2: Episode Three or actually Half-Life 3 that comes next, ideally it'll be a sizeable leap forward for graphical quality.

Half-Life has never been about progressive unlock systems, gruesome up-close knifing, and mowing down innocent civilians in airports. It's a seamless story of survival infused with a simple but effective developing love story between Alyx and Gordon as they fight to survive against an overwhelming foe. Yet it's also been about encounters with enemies that feel alive; that are just as aware of hiding spots and how to navigate the environment as I am.

More advanced AI for the next installment would be another bonus, especially since to this day people still reference the teamwork of the soldiers from the first Half-Life as a "wow" moment in virtual combat encounters. Valve's always done a great job introducing new enemies and attack patterns, from the spindly Striders to the relentless Hunters from Episode Two. Here's hoping there's an influx of new and unexpected creatures capable of putting up a smart fight. Or, at the very least, smarter Combine forces.

Seriously. This guy has been staring at Gordon from behind glass doors since Black Mesa. He's played the role of nemesis and dubious guardian angel and everything in between. He appears out of nowhere, invading Gordon's thoughts and talking of strange connections to the game's characters. It's getting a little X-Files-like ridiculous at this point. In the next installment, I think I speak for everyone by saying we'd appreciate an answer.

Why does he enunciate like he's from another planet? Is he from another planet? What does he actually want? Where did he come from? What's his connection with Alyx? And why is he so interested in Gordon Freeman? When we get to the end of whatever the next Half-Life is called, as much as we enjoy endings that involve explosions and / or a major character getting their brains sucked out, what about delivering some concrete information? Or will giving out answers and draining some of the mystery result in a much less exciting game world like in Lost?

HiCZoK4
11-26-10, 11:00 AM
whoaaa

grey_1
11-26-10, 11:35 AM
TLDNR.

That said, freeman is still hiding his face after the embarrassment he suffered at valves hands in hl2.

LydianKnight
11-26-10, 12:37 PM
Oh, don't worry... he's just busy doing some B-series snuff :bleh:

http://i51.tinypic.com/sy5fyq.jpg

grey_1
11-26-10, 12:44 PM
Oh, don't worry... he's just busy doing some B-series snuff :bleh:

http://i51.tinypic.com/sy5fyq.jpg

Whaaa???

:rofl

Redeemed
11-26-10, 01:07 PM
Honestly, love all the HL games. Really looking forward to the next "installment". :D

bob saget
11-26-10, 02:29 PM
yea, i have been waiting for it ever since i finished ep.2

General Lee
11-28-10, 06:50 AM
Valve and FOX are busy writing his new role into the script of the return of Married...With Children.

It's gonna be awesome. ;)

FastRedPonyCar
11-29-10, 10:54 PM
We'll be playing black mesa source before EP3 :/

ViN86
11-29-10, 11:11 PM
TL;DR

I think we will all be here before you see the next Half-Life...

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/976/grave2.jpg

t3hl33td4rg0n
11-30-10, 12:08 AM
Or one of these
http://www.talaveraandmore.com/images/graphics/tn040v000urn.jpg

Noriega
11-30-10, 02:36 AM
Here is the fact!

If you had 6 yearswhen you were playing Half Life 1 than you had to wait HALF LIFE to play Half Life 2!

Zenoth
11-30-10, 08:29 AM
Here is the fact!

If you had 6 yearswhen you were playing Half Life 1 than you had to wait HALF LIFE to play Half Life 2!

I had about the same facial expression after reading this than the cat's expression in your avatar. :D

It's extremely close to the truth really. The original Half-Life was released in 1998, it's been a decade, we still don't know how it ends after 12 years, we might not know anytime in 2011, and perhaps we will in 2012, hopefully before the world ends though, please Valve. It's pathetic when you think about it isn't it... twelve freaking years later and the damn story arc still isn't finished, and it's a video game, not some sort of extremely popular and regularly updated television series or long-lasting series of novels with a new book released each years for a decade.

Nope, it's a story arc contained within 4 official installments, namely Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Episode Two and Episode Three (excluding Blue Shift, Decay and Opposing Force), that's an average of a new "chapter" to the story once every three years, at least so far, it might well get worse later on. But the reality is that by now most people who liked (perhaps not the "fans" though) Half-Life and/or Half-Life 2 enough to be... let's say... "interested" by the story without going bonkers about it will simply ignore or not be interested by it anymore by the time Episode Three (or by then simply Half-Life 3, who knows) is released.

If they do release Episode Three / Half-Life 3, then I want it to be the last official title within the Gordon Freeman's story arc, because I won't want to wait another three, four or five years before yet another part of the story is released, I guess it's not the same for everyone, of course, but I'm one of the guys in the bunch who has long been past the point of indifference with Half-Life's continuity.

When and if Half-Life 3 / Episode Three is announced then there better be a lot of incentives to bring me back to it so I can be interested enough to buy it and finally know what the hell happens with Gordon Freeman, who the hell or what the heck is the G-Man, what happens on and to Earth and humanity, what happens to the Combine and the original Xen slaves (mostly the Vorts) and... well, if Alyx is falling in love with our speechless hero or if she's going full rebel mode after what happened to her father (without giving obvious spoilers from the latest installment). It's going to have to answer every single questions that had been raised ever since the original game's canon ending.

Armed_Baboon
11-30-10, 05:21 PM
Gordon Freeman, where are you? We were all so excited to continue your adventure after Episode Two. It ended on a cliffhanger, after all, and we've had no news about what's happened since. Why haven't you sent any updates? Are you in hiding? Do you have enough snacks? What's going on with Alyx? Have you killed all those gross Advisor brain bug things yet? Did you get any new awesome upgrades to your gravity gun? You can do that, right? With your science? Is Dog still totally awesome? Have you ever met Chell?

Come to think of it, why am I even talking to you, Gordon? You never say anything. You just stare blankly at everyone and make them uneasy with a weapon always at the ready. I can't even be sure you have feet.

I tried talking to Valve, but it's just as unhelpful. No matter how badly I want answers, the developer isn't saying anything about the next installment of Half-Life 2. Since initially announcing that the story would continue through three episodes, Valve has been very busy, but all I've heard about are other projects. Granted, these have all been amazing projects: Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, and ongoing Team Fortress 2 updates, amongst others. Yet nothing about the next Half-Life.

It's not a wild thought at this point to assume that Valve has changed course with Episode Three. Back in 2006 Valve founder Gabe Newell talked openly about using the Half-Life 2 Episodes as a replacement for Half-Life 3Valve is widely known to delay projects, but considering we've heard nearly nothing about how the franchise will continue, one might assume the studio is doing something drastically different.

At this point, that only leaves me with one thing to do: speculate about what's taking so long. There's a 110 percent chance Valve has far better ideas than anyone at the IGN offices. But hey, that hasn't prevented the publish of wish list articles in the past. Once you've checked out what I've had to say, feel free to add your own ideas in the comments below, or to yell at me about my dumb ideas.

People like the grav gun. This is no secret. Near the end of Half-Life 2 I liked it even more when it got zapped and upgraded to the super grav gun and let me grab soldiers and fling them around like puppets. I felt like a god. Yet there's a lot more potential here, especially considering the way environments in Half-Life 2 can be ripped apart like the house at the end of Episode Two.

So what if the gravity gun could actually shred the environment? What if chunks could be ripped out of cliffs or tear out sections of skyscrapers and toss them at groups of Combine soldiers and Striders? What if the gun's discharge functionality could be pointed at the ground and serve as some kind of energy boost to high jump or rapidly traverse terrain without the use of a vehicle? If this were the case, everyone's a winner. Except for the Combine.

The grav gun is great because it's a viable combat option throughout the entire game. In most battle scenes there's enough debris lying around to let you grab and fling and knock out Combine soldiers. It was a novel tool back in 2004 and it never felt like a gimmick. So with the next Half-Life installment, I hope to be surprised again. New weapons are sometimes a checkbox kind of marketing feature when companies are putting together sequels. Now featuring quad rocket launchers! Double shotguns! Sticky grenades!

That's all well and good. I like new toys. But what I'm really looking for are substantial new additions that change the entire dynamic of combat, not just kill things faster. The obvious choice is the Portal gun, but here's another suggestion: How about a Net Gun? This could serve to not only disable and disorient Combine soldiers but also to block doorways and passages in defense sequences and tangle up the rotor blades of those ubiquitous attack choppers. Maybe it could even be upgraded to electrify those who come in contact with it? Be shot across a pit to serve as a trampoline? Create new bridges to out of reach platforms? Is this a terrible idea?

Before everyone cries foul over this suggestion, let me be clear: the on-foot sections of Half-Life tend to be the best. The shooting mechanics and dynamics of scrambling around environments to avoid enemy fire and scoop up ammunition are as exciting as they come. The suggestion isn't that Valve should put more vehicle use into the game, but if there have to be vehicle sections, what about letting Gordon hop into a different kind of machine? Like, for example, one of those attack helicopters?

This could be used as an excuse to let Gordon travel large distances without taking you out of the experience too much and without forcing you, once again, to climb into that buggy. It'd also be thrilling to ride a Strider. Or, as an alternative, a return to the purity of the first Half-Life, minus the whole extraterrestrial journey. Anything to keep us out of that buggy. Unless the buggy gets upgraded with giant spider legs.

We caught a glimpse of what was possible here near the end of Episode Two where Gordon had to defend a large area by scrambling between outposts. This was one of the best moments in the entire Half-Life 2 experience. It required me to draw on nearly everything learned throughout the course of the base game and Episodes to survive against a ferocious onslaught of enemies. Where Valve goes in the future will likely hinge on where the story's headed.

Is the developer trying to tell the tale of an epic confrontation between huge numbers of Combine soldiers and a combined force of resistance fighters, or would Valve rather focus on the smaller-scale the relationship between Alyx, Gordon, and the seemingly omniscient G-Man? Regardless of which direction Valve decides to go, one thing's for sure: the sequence at the end of Episode Two left me breathless. If Valve can build on that to deliver something on an even larger scale that's crafted to instill in the same sense of barely containable chaos, I can't wait to play it.

This is more to be expected than anything else. Valve is constantly tweaking and upgrading its Source code to deliver prettier visuals and more fluid animations to players. Episode Two was the best looking Half-Life yet, though it also showed signs of age. Scrapping Source altogether and moving to something entirely new could, potentially, be part of the reason the next Half-Life is taking so long.

Ideally it's a result of the current technology not being sufficient to support some wild new gameplay mechanic nobody's thought of yet than simply a need to make the game prettier. Either way, Valve's already proven to be a master of stunning facial animation and environment design, and regardless of whether it's Half-Life 2: Episode Three or actually Half-Life 3 that comes next, ideally it'll be a sizeable leap forward for graphical quality.

Half-Life has never been about progressive unlock systems, gruesome up-close knifing, and mowing down innocent civilians in airports. It's a seamless story of survival infused with a simple but effective developing love story between Alyx and Gordon as they fight to survive against an overwhelming foe. Yet it's also been about encounters with enemies that feel alive; that are just as aware of hiding spots and how to navigate the environment as I am.

More advanced AI for the next installment would be another bonus, especially since to this day people still reference the teamwork of the soldiers from the first Half-Life as a "wow" moment in virtual combat encounters. Valve's always done a great job introducing new enemies and attack patterns, from the spindly Striders to the relentless Hunters from Episode Two. Here's hoping there's an influx of new and unexpected creatures capable of putting up a smart fight. Or, at the very least, smarter Combine forces.

Seriously. This guy has been staring at Gordon from behind glass doors since Black Mesa. He's played the role of nemesis and dubious guardian angel and everything in between. He appears out of nowhere, invading Gordon's thoughts and talking of strange connections to the game's characters. It's getting a little X-Files-like ridiculous at this point. In the next installment, I think I speak for everyone by saying we'd appreciate an answer.

Why does he enunciate like he's from another planet? Is he from another planet? What does he actually want? Where did he come from? What's his connection with Alyx? And why is he so interested in Gordon Freeman? When we get to the end of whatever the next Half-Life is called, as much as we enjoy endings that involve explosions and / or a major character getting their brains sucked out, what about delivering some concrete information? Or will giving out answers and draining some of the mystery result in a much less exciting game world like in Lost?

you are a very talented writer. best post I have read in a long time. amusing and witty. well done sir.

Dizzle7677
12-26-10, 10:44 PM
Having replayed over the holidays(and a couple times before) the story plot deepens and makes more sense with the thought of Aperture Science/Portal1&2 in mind.

A rhetorical thought popped out at the end of Nova Prospekt.

'Who Wins?'

A classic company rivalry played out across mankind maybe?

Aperture Science (represented by The OverWatch/Combine) or Black Mesa (represented by Gordon,Alyx,the rebellion,etc).

The Gman? He's more of the referee (restrictions remember) keeping an eye on things at times and an instigator at others but he's still sort of Black Mesa. He does have to answer to someone, at least the 'people' that needed Gordon's 'services' in the first place. Could he (or your employers to be exact) be playing both sides waiting for them both to knock each other out? Who knows. Probably "the underhanded" Judith does ...

How this will play out and is intertwined in Half-Life 3 should be quite 'interesting'. Alyx's necklace is also very interesting. I say it's a gift when she was little from the Gman that will come into play somehow.

Just realized the hole in the throat that the "Advisors" are so fond of is how the OverWatch/Transhumans are created or processed, for lack of a better word.

Albo
12-26-10, 10:51 PM
What are you nerds talkin bout?

Redeemed
12-27-10, 02:05 AM
What are you nerds talkin bout?

I'm gonna' give you the benefit of the doubt and just assume this was a joke. ;) :)

Elvin Presler
12-27-10, 01:24 PM
Episodes are bad. Mkaaaay.

jcrox
12-27-10, 11:24 PM
I'm not playing any of the Episodes until they're all out...

Episode 3 is becoming Valve's Duke Nukem... hey WTF happened to that game... again. Wasn't there a demo out awhile back?

HiCZoK4
12-29-10, 03:48 AM
...who the hell or what the heck is the G-Man, what happens on and to Earth and humanity...

I don't want to spoil anything but: IMO
Gman is some kind of GOD/DEVIL(or smaller entity) who started war beetwen humans and aliens(Yep.. These intelligent ones that are seen on Combine and breen monitors sometimes)
He started this war to give joy to higher entitys... So...
interesting Read (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Man_%28Half-Life%29#Half-Life) here.
He can be seen many times through the game. looking at You... "checking on its investment". He is a man who pull strings but can't do much really-only make events more possible...maybe start them.
btw. Vortigans(one of alien races that is friendly) have power to trap Gman. They did this in EP2 and so on. This might give interesting resoults as HE might not be able to help events to happen any more and Gordon might actually win without his "help"

As for Gordon... Its actually a bit retarded that he don't speak. With plot sooo big and so much question its ****ed up. it is unrealistic. Offcourse I would hate if he would speak (and have mirror reflection) in EP3 but they coul at least explain that he don't speak becouse he.... idk... lost his vocal cords during HL1... or something. His silence makes Alyx and other characters behaviour to him very weird. normal person would shake his arm and have Said "Say the **** somethind Doc... You mother ****ing piece of silent ****.. I CANT STAND YOUR SILENCE RETARD"
But still. They managed to made it feel somehow allright and To actually make Gordon one of best protagonist ever... I love playing as him and listening to other characters.

1)Outer cycle of the plot - Gman Delivering "fun-like tvshow" of humans war, to higher entities

Now going to inner circles of plot
2)War beetween Combine(humans controlled by aliens) and humans.
3)Trapping Gman by vortiguards
4)Black mesa colaboration with aparture science... as EP3 appereance in EP2 was happening on BOREALIS. Which is aperature science ship... That even was in HL2 alpha version.

All I know for sure is that I love HL2 adn two released episodes. Its one of best games ever created. With plot so big and complex, so many inroguing questions and atmosphere so moody... characters so deep... That I always come back for more. I play it at LEAST 2 times a year... And I am always left watching credits witch jaw dropped..

Damn. I have to play it again :lol: I am currently finishing Darksiders on 360 but goint to play Orange Box this evening or tomorrow.... Slowly and enjoying every location... So good game :lol:

HiCZoK4
12-29-10, 03:51 AM
I'm not playing any of the Episodes until they're all out...

Episode 3 is becoming Valve's Duke Nukem... hey WTF happened to that game... again. Wasn't there a demo out awhile back?

HELL YEAH!!!! DUKE IS COMING BITCH! Gearbox is finishing it for over a year and they sid to SURE release it in first half of 2011 and possibly rumored april.
They were showing PLAYABLE demo of DNF in a couple of countries at gaming events. Plenty of people played it.

Just look up on DNF gearbox forums. THERE IS MASS OF images and movies out

GitDat
12-29-10, 07:39 AM
HELL YEAH!!!! DUKE IS COMING BITCH! Gearbox is finishing it for over a year and they sid to SURE release it in first half of 2011 and possibly rumored april.
They were showing PLAYABLE demo of DNF in a couple of countries at gaming events. Plenty of people played it.

Just look up on DNF gearbox forums. THERE IS MASS OF images and movies out

Riiiggghhtttt.... some people never learn.

HiCZoK4
12-29-10, 08:33 AM
What proof more do You need? OTHER company. Playable demos at events... This time its Randy Pitchfords game. He assembled Core 3drealms team. Took their work and is finishing it.
I hope for real this time around.

Burnt_Ram
12-29-10, 09:04 AM
Episode 3 in june, and if you pre-order now you get Black Mesa free!

BioHazZarD
12-29-10, 12:51 PM
Lol neither will come anytime soon.. vaporware.