PDA

View Full Version : Steam Mover - Thoughts?

Peoples-Agent
11-26-10, 01:34 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you have used Steam Mover?

My puny SSD drive will likely buckle with the Steam sales going on and I came across this program. http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

It seems to have moved the folders over to my other HD no issues, freed up space, just wondering if you feel the commands used in this are the same as what you may have done manually?

So far, all seems good. The games moved run fine.

Thoughts?

mailman2
11-26-10, 01:48 PM
All you have to do is install steam the the new location, then copy over the common apps folder. Seriously, you don't need a program.

Bearclaw
11-26-10, 02:04 PM
All you have to do is install steam the the new location, then copy over the common apps folder. Seriously, you don't need a program.

This.

Just copy and paste. :thumbsup: It can't be any easier.

grey_1
11-26-10, 02:05 PM

I usually copy the folders over first, then install Steam to that location, but yeah, no other app needed.

LurkerLito
11-26-10, 04:57 PM
I would definitely recommend not using any third party app to move steam. It's so easy to do yourself, and you don't risk it being a trojan that will steal your account.

t3hl33td4rg0n
11-26-10, 05:42 PM
copy/paste, done

/thread

alan242
11-27-10, 12:43 AM
Another thing you can do it is if you want to move one or more games or even the whole cache is something like:

Exit Steam

Create the new directory/folder in the new location. I use the same name just to keep things straight. For example, to move Half Life 2 from C: to G:, create G:\Half Life 2\

Rename the old folder in the steam\steamapps\common directory. Example: "Half Life 2" to "Half Life 2.bak".

Using something like NTFS link, create a junction point in the common directory to point to the new target folder. Give it the same name before you renamed it above. The junction point is like a symlink in Unix/Linux. It makes a file or directory appear in one location but physically exist in another. You can do this on XP and up. But XP Explorer is less aware of them than Vista and 7.

Copy the contents of the .bak folder to the new folder (C:steam\steamapps\common\Half Life 2.bak\* -> G:\Half Life 2\).

Start Steam and verify the game contents that were just moved. If it verifies ok, test it by launching it. If it launches ok, you can delete the .bak folder.

You may want to try it with a small game first because if the verify fails, steam will start downloading the game again.

Peoples-Agent
11-27-10, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the info, great stuff. Just going to copy the folders over then perhaps symlink the odd game I want to enjoy the SSD speeds on. Like Fallout NV.