PDA

View Full Version : My bit for PC gaming!

Intel17
11-28-10, 09:28 AM
So, here's what I did to try to save PC gaming among my group of friends:

I regularly hang out with these two guys, each of whom enjoys PC gaming, but they've never really had PCs that were actually meant to run games (one has a C2D 2.4GHz laptop w/ a Mobility 3650, the other has C2D 2.4GHz + Quadro 160M). Every day, they see me playing games on my PC, and always make comments like, "Everything looks great and runs smoothly on that damn PC of yours -- I wish I could run at something other than lowest!"

So let's talk about the first guy, Kevin: He's a legitimate PC gamer -- buys all of his games, and loves dissecting games in serious discussion. His favorite games? BioShock 1/2 and Fallout 3/NV. Now, when he got FO:NV, it was a buggy POS, but more importantly, it did not even run close to smooth on his C2D 2.4 GHz + Quadro NVS160. He kept hoping for a patch to fix the performance problems -- obviously, it never came.

So he gave me his steam account and we loaded up the game on my machine. His jaw dropped, exclaiming, "Holy ****, THAT'S what Fallout NV looks like?"

I replied, "Yup. One of the advantages of having a nice PC!"

His retort was a mixture of dejection and jealousy, "Well, some of us don't have $2,000 to blow away on PCs!"

Grinning, I said, "what if I told you we could get these exact results in a PC that costs less than $650?"

"Really? We could do that?"

"Yes, I'll spec something out for you tonight and then we can order it before we go home for Thanksgiving break, I'll build it at my house, and bring it back to you"

"Heh, sweet. I'm trusting you, man!"

So I built him a beautiful machine (After a week of carefully considering the components):

AMD Athlon II X3 445 (@ 3.4GHz)
4GB Corsair DDR3-1333
ASRock M3A770DE
GeForce GTX 460 768MB (OC'd to 800/1600/3600)
Rosewill 500W PSU
Samsung 22x DVD burner
Western Digital 500gb HDD
Asus 18.5" monitor (max res 1366x768)

After telling him how this thing performs, he's extremely excited and thankful ("wait...so you mean I can actually turn on Anti-Aliasing? SWEET!"). He's also ditched any thoughts of buying a 360/PS3 to play his games.

The next guy, Andrew, was a bit more a tough nut to crack. For some reason, his stance on video game graphics is that, "They do not matter at all. I am fine with lowest settings, as long as I get smooth framerates". Fair enough. His C2D 2.4GHz and Mobility Radeon 3650 managed to last him much longer than I had ever thought possible. He managed to play BC2, Crysis, MW1, BioShock, DOOM 3, MoH, Borderlands, and much more (albeit at absolute lowest settings) just fine. I'd been nagging him to get a real machine so that he'd stop having to play at 1024x768 lowest, but he would not budge.

Until Call of Duty: Black Ops.

That game totally RAPED his machine. Even at lowest settings, it was unplayably choppy (understandably). So then after quitting in frustration, I turned to him and said, "Well, I think you know what I'm going to say...but what if I told you I could get you playing CoD: Black Ops in $300 or less?"

"Aargh, $300 is a lot of money...but considering I just found a wad of $200 on the ground, I think $300 is reasonable."

So I found an old ThermalTake 430W PSU that I had in a dead machine of mine, as well as a 150GB HDD from the same machine and an 80GB drive I'd had for about a decade, we bought a mobo, CPU, case, RAM, and a graphics card and built the following beauty:

AMD Athlon II X3 445 (3.1GHz)
4GB DDR3-1333
ASRock M3A770DE
ATI Radeon 4850
Seagate 150GB HDD
Western Digital 80GB HDD
ThermalTake 430W PSU
Some random DVD burner I found in my basement
Some random 1280x1024 display

Now, Black Ops (as well as everything else), runs absolutely beautifully. Too bad when he picked up the PC from my place I forgot to give him the DVI-VGA adapter. Whoops? Well, we get back to campus today, so he'll get to finally play it.

So yeah...I made this thread because I thought my stories fit beautifully with ragejg's excellent post here , http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2355706&postcount=14

ragejg
11-28-10, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the props. :)

I did something similar a few months ago:

Phenom x3 8600B OCed to 2.5ghz
2gb DDR2-800
ASRock 760G AM2+ mobo
Thermaltake True 450W PSU
HD 4830 flashed with hybrid 4850 BIOS
my old wireless kb/mouse setup
32" 1080p LCD TV

2 more GB of RAM and this rig could provide a very similar experience to your builds, Intel17. For now, it runs the MW1 demo great @ 19x10, which kinda points to good playability with Black Ops.

nV`andrew
11-28-10, 11:21 AM
Awesome, I'll be building something like the first one soon :)

Albo
11-28-10, 11:31 AM
Built a similar system recently. As the first that is, should be here tuesday it says, but no updates since they said "Shipping information received"

Hmm.

wheeljack12
11-28-10, 11:53 PM
well, I am a philanthropist when it comes to pc's and hardware. I do manage to sell off the majority of my "old" hardware. But sometimes I just get the feeling to be generous to a less fortunate gamer out there. one guy had a hp mini tower with athlon xp cpu, 4gb of ddr 1 ram and a geforce 8400 vc. From old parts, I built him a used core 2 quad system (q6600) with 4gb of ddr2 ram, intel mb, a used 150gb velociraptor, a used 18 x dvd writer and a used ati 4870 x2 2gb vc, 800 watt psu and a cooler master haf case. I also bought him win 7 home premium. Now the vc has died and is out of warranty, so I am donating one of my gtx 480's to his cause. It's evga and I am not unregistering it so if anything goes wrong, he doesn't have to worry as I can rma it for him. And in the last year I have bought two basic systems for two non gamers. One was a acer core 2 quad system and the other was a acer amd athlon II x3 system, both refurbs.

Albo
11-28-10, 11:55 PM
You're "donating" a GTX 460. ^.^

How bout you "donate" it my way. :p

Muppet
11-28-10, 11:56 PM
I generally go to a Lan party once or twice a month. I have been doing the same thing, by passing on all my hand me downs. It has also worked a treat, some of there machines where ancient. :D

wheeljack12
11-29-10, 03:42 AM
You're "donating" a GTX 460. ^.^

How bout you "donate" it my way. :p

no, If you read, it's a gtx 480 evga superclocked, not a 460.

wheeljack12
11-29-10, 03:49 AM
btw, last year that core 2 quad I built was from another friends system. That other friend meaning the original core 2 quad owner, got a wet dream compared to the 1st guy. This is what I literally gave to him for a xmas present.

-Core i7 975 3.33 cpu
-12gb of ddr 3 1600mhz corsair dominator ram
-Asus p6t deluxe v2 motherboard
-ATI 4870 x2 2gb vid card
-6 or 8x bluray writer
-910 watt pc power and cooling silencer psu (got this from a rma of a 1200 watt pcpc psu)

his current parts he kept were:

-150gb raptor hd
-2 250gb wd hd's
-sb xfi pci extreme audio card
-case

he also got my free upgrade of win 7 ultimate that I got from staples. I didn't want it because I reinstall windows too often as of late to want to install vista full ulimtate then install win 7. So I bought the full version of win 7 pro to accomodate.

Intel17
11-29-10, 08:45 AM
How do you have so much money? o_o

Noriega
11-29-10, 09:00 AM
How do you have so much money? o_o

Read posts carefully! They found it on the ground

...but considering I just found a wad of $200 on the ground...

Intel17
11-29-10, 11:18 AM
Heh, I'm still in shock that someone would drop a wad of $200 on the ground...who the hell even carries that much money (credit/debit ftw!)

But that being said, a single GTX 480 is, like, $500...