PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 most annoying things with PC games.

Pages : [1] 2 3

Sean_W
11-28-10, 12:29 PM
What's your top five most annoying things to do with PC games?

1. Press any key to continue.

Why? I want to get to the main menu. Why the fuc* do I have to press a key all the time to get there?

2. Cannot skip credits or game intros.

Comes on, Why the fuc* does the developer have to lock your keyboard out during the intro or credits? Even if it's the first time.

3. Xbox controllers.

So you've detected that I've got a XBox controller plugged in and try to override my keyboard and mouse or only half activate one.

4. Installs the latest directX and C++.

Just detect that I have them, don't just keep reinstalling them every friggin time I install a game.

5. You need to create an account to play this game or online.

What? I might need to create two accounts to start playing the game, like GTA IV did. Why can I just not fuc**** play?

Bonus: Make the menu system complex

Burnout Paradise, Dirt2 have crazy menu systems and confuse the crap out of people.

:rw: :fu: :banghead: :lame: :rolleyes2 :retard: :rant: (soapbox) :screwy:

grey_1
11-28-10, 12:35 PM
What's your top five most things with PC games?

Why? I want to get to the main menu. WTF do I have to press a key all the time to get there?

Comes on, WTF does the developer have to lock your keyboard out during the intro or credits? Even if it's the first time.

3. Being asked "Are you sure" 85 times when trying to quit a game.

Being asked just once is sufficient to make certain I didn't accidently try to quit. I really appreciate games that have a "quit to desktop" option like FEAR 2.

Just detect that I have them, don't just keep reinstalling them every friggin time I install a game.

What? I might need to create two accounts to start playing the game, like GTA IV did. Why can I just not fuc**** play?

Yup :lol:

I edited number 3 to reflect my other main gripe. I never use a controller, but this fits the bill pretty closely. :lol:

bob saget
11-28-10, 12:42 PM
1. Retarded gameplay
2. Retarded story
3. Retarded voice acting
4. Retarded gameplay
5. Retarded story

grey_1
11-28-10, 12:46 PM
1. Retarded gameplay
2. Retarded story
3. Retarded voice acting
4. Retarded gameplay
5. Retarded story

hl2?

(aaa)

bob saget
11-28-10, 12:48 PM
no. prey :bleh:

Redeemed
11-28-10, 12:48 PM
1. Retarded gameplay
2. Retarded story
3. Retarded voice acting
4. Retarded gameplay
5. Retarded story

I'm beginning to think this is a reflection of the person playing the game here...?

:D

bob saget
11-28-10, 12:49 PM
no...thats not....accurate....:o

LydianKnight
11-28-10, 01:12 PM
What's your top five most things with PC games?

Why? I want to get to the main menu. WTF do I have to press a key all the time to get there?

Comes on, WTF does the developer have to lock your keyboard out during the intro or credits? Even if it's the first time.

3. Xbox controllers.

So you've detected that I've got a XBox controller plugged in and try to override my keyboard and mouse or only half activate one.

Like Burnout Paradise, Dirt2 have crazy menus systems and confuse the crap out of you.

1. Because current PC games still inherit that mode from arcade cabinets, the 'attractor' mode, which simply displays the game's logotype, brands, plus the usual 1-2 mins dumb gameplay.

While I don't like it, either... it's not that bad, come on :p

2. True, although a game without an introduction is like a movie without some background... but this is a matter of taste, so I understand your point and... agree (they could at least make for some internal counter which, if seen at least once, make you able to skip it).

3. Strange... are you using the 'original' Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for windows? I have a non-original one from SpeedLink (SL-6555-SBK) and I don't get my controls auto-swapped :zombie:

But yeah... that sux -.-

4. The don't really do it... it's like the installer in some applications, they're just checking for some requirements, it's not really different from the ./configure --prefix=/usr <rest goes here...> we see in Linux. If you have some outdated library, ok... but if not, no problem, apart from the message box hassle, no real change is done (as far as I remember).

5. I couldn't agree more with you in this one. While I'm ok with GFWL, it's somewhat crappy to have it monitoring your progress and the like (more if you take into account I'm spanish and I have my system (GFWL included) in spanish but I really install all of my games in english so you get a mess with both in-game and GFWL messages xD).

-1 to Microsoft for this :bleh:

Drolfrawd
11-28-10, 01:26 PM
For all the faults, they are still light years ahead of monket brained consoles!!

methimpikehoses
11-28-10, 01:28 PM
definitely agree with 5... i would play dirt2 if it wasn't for the stupid consolized menu bull****.

yes, i am mad.

HiCZoK4
11-28-10, 01:52 PM
hl2 and prey are good games!

my 5 things bothering pc games would be: (from top of my head)

1)Slowdowns. There is rarely a game that runs 60fps all the time. Even if its old game and my pc is relevantly futuristic for it.(overall games requiments)
2)Anty-aliasing missing in some games or not being supported. Its best graphical effect imo. It gives best boost in graphics. So why not to include it in every game?
3)30fps lock in some retarded games ported from consoles... Even then their requiments are soo high that its unimaginable to imagine(:lol:) how this can run so well on console while it is crippled on pc that is 30000times faster.
4) games hanging, bsod'ing, errors and all kind of ****s ups.
5) and offcourse DRM and all kind of ONLINE checks. WHY THE **** DO I HAVE TO BE ONLINE AND CHECK FOR ANYTHING OR DOWNLOAD INSTALATION if I bought the damn game!?
It all started with HL2. And while its one of my favourite games... I hate it for being this succesfull with that type of DRM becouse ir popularized this ****.

Special place for PHYSX! This is just a cash and marketing rip of. Only worked in couple of games... like Cryostasis. But still it is not soo much for high requiments

LydianKnight
11-28-10, 05:51 PM
Ok, my 'Top 3'...

1. Price. Some seem to be ok with a game costing $60/60€, but not me. I don't give a f*** about how many cars or houses do the managerial staff have to pay for, to each his/her own... BUT a Hollywood movie costs WAY more than a videogame, and I'm not asked $60/60€ to watch a movie at a theater... just 6. Same for owning it, 20-30, not 60. Get the lesson learned, clever guys.

2. Incoherent design. This one goes for Crytek and the likes. We live in a world full of options, something very respectable, but even if I had $5000 to build one of the most powerful gaming machines in the planet, I would chose not to. That kind of extreme hardware is for those who don't have anything better to spend their money in, but it doesn't apply to the vast majority of gamers population (like me). Technical demonstrations are for Siggraph and other specialized places dedicated to image synthesis, thanks. For the rest... make a game that runs decently on an average machine. 'We' are not asking for a high-tech game to run on something like a Spectrum 48k, just... a middle-to-high end machine would be ok.

3. Lack of creativity. I'm a gamer, yes... I like FPS, yes... but come on... it's not the only profitable kind of videogames nowadays... from MMORPGs to racing games, from platform adventures to puzzle games... and all we can expect from the 'Tier 1' games is shooting people like crazy and driving the latest car models on the planet with lots of reflections and glossy notes to the 'experience' but with 0 damage (a.k.a. made for pussies) and (like slawter said) inaccurate track making?

We're still waiting for things like... a good Metal Gear Solid remake for the PC (not the kind of lame bacon-and-eggs re-fried version we got), or Resident Evil 2, or just...

... bring in the old spirit of gaming, where games were fun even if they were just a bunch of un-filtered pixels on the screen and a lame buzzer screwing your ear... but maybe it's too late and developers have become a bunch of rotten potatoes, brain-wise...

:p

mailman2
11-28-10, 05:57 PM
agreed on all points.

wheeljack12
11-28-10, 10:36 PM
here is my list:

1. Consolization of pc games. Developers in general can kiss my *ss on this one. Like save checkpoints, what a joke. less than 5 years ago, you could save your when and wherever you wanted because there was care put into pc gaming. If money talks and pc gamers spend more on hardware overall that can be upgraded vs. a console that has a limited shelf life wtf? also stuff like gfwl, yeah I can only save anywhere while in a account, joke again.

2. Another console hold back on pc's. Development of current api standards. This is actually a mix because there are too many of you damn win xp owners who won't let go of their "prized" possession. Because you are letting developers get the easy way out by letting them program more often still in 2010 with directx 9.0c. I know that win vista was a nightmare, but here we are a just over a year later after a successful win 7 launch and less than 25 games for dx 11 have been developed for it. here's your proof:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

your giving game developers a chance to make games that can be ported from a console rather than developed for current pc standards. What I mean to say is hardware should always be accounted for but OS game development shoudn't in terms of OSes that can't support most of todays apps anyhow. Didn't ms make win xp mode for win 7 pro and ultimate (dumb ass ms should make a patch to allow home premium to use it too to allow for affordability reasons for win xp owners who need that old app that never got updated).

3. ubisoft's stupid *ss protection scheme for their recent games as of this year. You stupid *ssses at ubisoft, wtf happens if someone's isp goes down and they are craving their game. That's right, put the blame on the consumer and let them suffer. This goes for online drm and checks too. if you read the next comment you'll understand why bit torrents are so popular for some reason, not being specific here. BTW, thanks drm for making my pc games untradable at places like ebgames.

I agree with the overpricing. These days I am paying more for a product key over the media, packaging and manual. If game publishers would account for volume sales at a lower price, people wouldn't go to "extremes".

Lydian Knight, you don't get it, do you? Crytek is the origin (for those that don't know,that's richard garriots old company that ea killed) of this decade. They make games that push the envelope on the pc like wing commander did back in the day. BTW, you don't need to spend $5000 on a pc to play crysis decently, more like $2000. Someone out there has to do push the envelope.

and as for physx, someone had get off their collective *ss and make hardware physics happen. yes, nvidia bought their ideas just like they did with 3dfx and sli but they were smart about it. They incorporated it into current hardware over buying a pci card like ageia did. I mean if I remember correct, nvidia was going to license the tech to AMD but they said no. Probably because of dumb pride. The reason why there are complaints is because physx is proprietary and not a standard. It should be a standard. I remember even hearing at one time that amd/ati was going to make the havok engine a hardware based physics solution to compete with nvidia's physx but that never happened either. Sorry I like my hardware accelerated solutions, have since 3d acceleration came into effect.

I agree with skipping splash screens and intros. I mean we aren't being forced into what they did with blurays and dvd's are we now by making us watch what we already know again and again?

the part about dx and c++ being installed every time, that's ms' fault. For example, dx is only updated by game installs (lost planet 2 actually had the latest dx for once, thank god literally for that one) or if you know that there is a direct x ms webpage. I am not insulting anyone out there by saying this, more like ms, put dx and c++ updates into windows update so everyone gets it. Keep it simple stupid.

LydianKnight
11-29-10, 02:01 AM
LydianKnight, you don't get it, do you? [...] They make games that push the envelope on the pc like Wing Commander did back in the day. BTW, you don't need to spend $5000 on a pc to play Crysis decently, more like $2000. Someone out there has to push the envelope.

I don't agree with your point of view (but, of course, I respect it)... games are for everyone (or, at least... they should be), limiting that is just stupid. As I said, I'm not pretending for them to make the game run on a very basic PC setup, but something like a mid-to-high end machine, which is not unreasonable.

I agree with you in the sense that someone has to make the actual proof of concept real, but... that's about it... a proof of concept and a game are two very different kind of programs, the latter is... that, a game, while the former is more of a simulation than a game.

But, as I said with other words, it's a difference in opinion, we both are power-conscious users, but on the opposite ends. You want power (as in graphics power), I want power (as in power saving).

As a final note, I agree with you on the price mark, even less... The machine I'm gonna build for after we enter 2011 cost less than 1300-1400 dollars and have ample power to run Crysis/Crysis Warhead, but that's not the point. You know when the 'game' was released and at that time, those $2000 didn't really granted you a decent gameplay (and you know it).

:p

wheeljack12
11-29-10, 02:38 AM
I agree with you on the $2000 back when crysis was released. Parts had a more higher/premium price level. I would say mainly because hardware manufacturer's were pushing bleeding edge vs. cost effective back then. What I mean is that the variety of hardware for mid to high end users was less back then. Today, for example the range of cpu's in production is greater (from socket 775 pentium to socket 1366 core i7 just to mention one example) in terms of what's out there and pricing. When I say someone has to push the envelope on tech I don't really mean just for me and the power hungry users. I mean that someone has to set an example by getting developers to raise their standards. Not to have game dev's go to crytek's degree, but to keep the progress of gaming going forward. That is why is despise consoles. They can't be upgraded is why. And since the console has game dev's making games that can't go any further than their limited tech, it slows down the pc market because it's cheaper for dev's to make console games and they don't have to do extra work in pc development. It kinda bugs me that Crytek is making console versions of Crysis 2. Even for the 13-1400 you are thinking of spending, you might feel like something is missing in the pc version unless Crytek sticks to their guns. Ask yourself this, what would you do if you won a $5000 shopping spree at a place like newegg or a pc parts dealer? No, I didn't win a shopping spree, I just choose to spend my hard earned cash towards my hobby/passion. Yes, you can be pretty sure that I don't have many other obligations. And no that not besides the point when I mention the shopping spree, if I had few mil (which I don't) I would be like DarthBeavis and making charity and demo systems that I would eventually give away to those who are less fortunate in terms of needs and gaming. Just showing that the some of us power hungry care and feel for those who can't afford the ulitmate system.

Peoples-Agent
11-29-10, 04:52 AM
1)Console Ports
2)Devs not fixing issues with said console ports
3)Slow to support dual GPU setups
4)Did I say Console Ports?
5) Oh , and Console ports.

HiCZoK4
11-29-10, 05:35 AM
Did You said Console ports? I don't see You mentioning it.... :bleh:

jeffmd
11-29-10, 09:08 AM

Actually the game runs the installer, which does check if you have them installed first. The c++ drivers might be small enough that it dosn't matter, but DX does a whole inspection routine.

Why spend the time writing your own when you can use theirs?

the dual logon issue can be abit odd.. but frankly once you setup GFW live, you can forget about it. It auto logs itself on for all your GFW games.

Sean_W
11-29-10, 11:04 AM
Actually the game runs the installer, which does check if you have them installed first. The c++ drivers might be small enough that it dosn't matter, but DX does a whole inspection routine.

Why spend the time writing your own when you can use theirs?

the dual logon issue can be abit odd.. but frankly once you setup GFW live, you can forget about it. It auto logs itself on for all your GFW games.

Fair enough but Steam goes through the directX/C++ redistribution on quiet a few games when you install them.

Auto login of GFWL is OK but if you have more than one person using it, you have to login manually every time to even start your game.

CaptnStubing
11-29-10, 12:10 PM
1. Other gamers online.
2. Other gamers online.
3. Other gamers online.
4. Can't skip splash screens. I don't care if this how it was "meant to be played". Yes I rename my .bik files but some games consider that a hack.
5. Other gamres online.

Sean_W
11-29-10, 12:20 PM
Got to say as well. The new NVIDIA driver CCP is annoying. It's always asking me if you want to keep the changes I've applied.

FFS, yes I clicked apply, surely that should be enough to know what I'm doing. :headexplode:

frenchy2k1
11-29-10, 12:43 PM
Fair enough but Steam goes through the directX/C++ redistribution on quiet a few games when you install them.

Auto login of GFWL is OK but if you have more than one person using it, you have to login manually every time to even start your game.
Steam is a misunderstood platform.
Although you can integrate your game with Steam (the same way Valve does), for most game, it is only one distribution platform amongst many. In that case, Steam just gives you the exact same experience as the other platform (buying the DVD for example).
I just had that this week end after buying Batman AA. The game installed, ran its own DRM activator, needed the key entered (twice, no less) and then when the game started, I was prompted to create a GFWL account (which forced me to update their software in a very intrusive way and forced a computer restart. To play a game that installed perfectly by itself...). So, no gain from Steam there (just that I cannot lose, or sell back, the media).

Note that they did everything to make it smooth, providing an overlay pop up with the serial available during registration and getting out of the way as much as possible. But they are just the distributor, like game stop.

Redeemed
11-29-10, 01:00 PM
1.CaptainStubing
2.CaptainStubing (a.k.a. "Tits")
3.Tits
4.CaptainStubing's tits
5.CaptainStubing

:D

Vanzagar
11-29-10, 01:25 PM
What's your top five most annoying things to do with PC games?

Why? I want to get to the main menu. Why the fuc* do I have to press a key all the time to get there?

Comes on, Why the fuc* does the developer have to lock your keyboard out during the intro or credits? Even if it's the first time.

3. Xbox controllers.

Burnout Paradise, Dirt2 have crazy menu systems and confuse the crap out of people.

Yes to all except #3, don't use one... these all really piss me off too, it's like developers don't value our time. They want to force us to watch their cut scenes and credits, personally I don't have a lot of free time so let me play the game please... if I didn't work or have wife+kids and could sit around all day then I probably wouldn't mind at all...

Also, if you restart a level/track why the f*k does it have to reload for 5 mins (i.e. NFS - hot pursuit)...

Vanz