PDA

View Full Version : Push your new 580 with this demo. Best graphic effects I have ever seen.

Pages : [1] 2

turdhat
11-29-10, 12:22 PM
This graphic demo from Andromedia has some of the best visual effects I have ever seen. Forget DX11 and check out what opengl is going here. Wow ! It will bring my 480 to its knees at times but man you guys with good cards have got to check this one out. It starts out a little slow.

http://amusic.gr/files/ASD%20-%20Happiness%20is%20Around%20the%20Bend.zip

Direct link to the page with youtube links for those with slow comps

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=55556

Madpistol
11-29-10, 01:47 PM
That's really impressive work. Who would make something like that? This had to be some sort of project for a class or something.

You're right, it made my Fiance's HD 4870 work pretty hard, but it definitely didn't bring it to its knees. Awesome find! :)

turdhat
11-29-10, 02:02 PM
That's really impressive work. Who would make something like that? This had to be some sort of project for a class or something.

You're right, it made my Fiance's HD 4870 work pretty hard, but it definitely didn't bring it to its knees. Awesome find! :)

There are thousands of these types of graphics demos. There has been a "demo scene", as its called, for almost 30 years. You can get old 386 demos to this day. Type demoscene in youtube and you will see more hits that you can imagine. Its huge in europe and has stayed mostly there for some reason.

Here is a great resource. They use a lot of slang so look under prods and make sure its for the pc when you grab it. People still code c-64 and amiga demos to this day. No really !

http://www.pouet.net/

Madpistol
11-29-10, 02:57 PM
Uh oh... I think you guys with Nvidia cards may not like this.

That demo runs virtually perfectly on my 5870 @ 1920x1200 w/ AA enabled. Why does your GTX 480 not like it?

I may have to break out my trust 9800 GTX+ for this one. Both my 4870 and 5870 run this fairly well, although the 4870 seems to struggle a little bit in places. The 5870, however, runs this demo beautifully.

Roadhog
11-29-10, 03:27 PM
I think ati has always been good on the opengl front.

musman
11-29-10, 03:59 PM
When I had a ATI card (4850) it would not work with openGL games at all.

jeffmd
11-29-10, 07:30 PM
turdhat... opengl and dx11 are pretty much the same... neither one has graphical effects the other does not. It is just that only one of them work in both macOS and Linux. It is not a bad API what so ever, but even today its hard to support with so many games developing for consoles ontop of windows.

This is by far ASD's most impressive work, and indeed one of the best demo scene demo's I have seen in a long time. Although ASD usually produces the best demos seen in recent memory to begin with, I usually found a lot of rough spots in their demos. They tend to lack an artist capable of good human modeling and mesh animation. %90 of the animation is usually generated by code in realtime so it is rarely an issue, it just looks ugly when that one model that is traditionally animated pops up. What was impressive it this demo was A+ stuff from beginning to end. No slow spots to show off uninteresting new routines, no breaking the flow for retro 2d stuff, it is one continuous ride.

Performance wise it was pretty good on my 460, with only a few spots showing non ideal framerates (15-25) and the ending really bogging down. I think it is a cpu factor, not gpu.

Maverick123w
11-29-10, 07:46 PM
Pretty neat. Runs like a dream on my setup.

Shocky
11-30-10, 03:49 AM
Cool, runs great on my HD5870.

ShiningArcanine
11-30-10, 10:55 AM

Why do you think that? Nvidia hardware historically does better in OpenGL games than equivalent ATI hardware and their Linux drivers are considered to be the best quality graphics drivers available for UNIX-like systems, which only support OpenGL.

Madpistol
11-30-10, 11:08 AM
It probably means that this demo was developed chiefly on ATI hardware.

darkrider01
11-30-10, 01:24 PM
Two words: Flute Solo.

jlippo
12-01-10, 01:41 AM
There are thousands of these types of graphics demos. There has been a "demo scene", as its called, for almost 30 years. You can get old 386 demos to this day. Type demoscene in youtube and you will see more hits that you can imagine. Its huge in europe and has stayed mostly there for some reason.

Here is a great resource. They use a lot of slang so look under prods and make sure its for the pc when you grab it. People still code c-64 and amiga demos to this day. No really !

http://www.pouet.net/
Indeed, making proper demos and intros (demos with very restrictive size limitations, usually 64 or 4kB) seems to be limited to europe.

Fun thing about making demos is that there is basically no limitations outside your imagination and/or skills. ;)
There is simply no right or wrong way to go or do, there's just open canvas which you are to explore.

There are 'art' demos and those which are most technically oriented, but there are no limits what you can do with it.
Basically demo can be as simple as hello world! or complex as hell and might hold some interactive elements. (sadly underused feature.)

We did demos mostly between 486-pentium3? times meaning pure CPU demos and for DOS.
First starting with Pascal moving to pure ASM and then to C.
(group was/is Halcyon (http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=77))
---

Yes, Andromeda in all it's configurations has made some sweet demos during a very long time and those guys usually know how to do something looking good.
Sadly they did some ugly looking stuff in that demo. (mostly horrid SSAO which ruined many scenes for me)

sammy sung
12-01-10, 11:51 AM
Runs great here,my monitor wont go higher than 1680x1050 though.Gpu temp peaked at 75 c with 60% fanspeed.Looks more like modern art than anything else,kinda funky.

turdhat
12-01-10, 06:17 PM
Indeed, making proper demos and intros (demos with very restrictive size limitations, usually 64 or 4kB) seems to be limited to europe.

Fun thing about making demos is that there is basically no limitations outside your imagination and/or skills. ;)
There is simply no right or wrong way to go or do, there's just open canvas which you are to explore.

There are 'art' demos and those which are most technically oriented, but there are no limits what you can do with it.
Basically demo can be as simple as hello world! or complex as hell and might hold some interactive elements. (sadly underused feature.)

We did demos mostly between 486-pentium3? times meaning pure CPU demos and for DOS.
First starting with Pascal moving to pure ASM and then to C.
(group was/is Halcyon (http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=77))
---

Yes, Andromeda in all it's configurations has made some sweet demos during a very long time and those guys usually know how to do something looking good.
Sadly they did some ugly looking stuff in that demo. (mostly horrid SSAO which ruined many scenes for me)

You were in Halcyon ? What year was this. Didnt you guys do some crack intros as well ? That name rings a bell and loudly.

turdhat
12-01-10, 06:19 PM
Runs great here,my monitor wont go higher than 1680x1050 though.Gpu temp peaked at 75 c with 60% fanspeed.Looks more like modern art than anything else,kinda funky.

When you say "runs great" what are you seeing ? This thing is dipping down in to like 20's for me at 1080p on a 480 that is overclocked pretty good and a q6600 at 3.67ghz.

Drivers maybe ? 263.00 for me. You ?

Redeemed
12-01-10, 07:47 PM
Ran rather well for me, 1920 x 1200 all options maxed. Didn't look that impressive imo.

The demo I really want to see is that ATi one with Ruby fighting a gian robot... was it for the 4800 cards? 3800? Regardless, don't think they ever released a full executable for that demo. Would love to see that, and how it performs, on my 5770. :D

turdhat
12-01-10, 08:06 PM
Ran rather well for me, 1920 x 1200 all options maxed. Didn't look that impressive imo.

The demo I really want to see is that ATi one with Ruby fighting a gian robot... was it for the 4800 cards? 3800? Regardless, don't think they ever released a full executable for that demo. Would love to see that, and how it performs, on my 5770. :D

That demo didnt impress you ? I wow. I think the machine transformation sequences were stunning and then the pan back after that to reveal that it was just a small maze...

Guess its in the eye of the beerholder.

AdamK47
12-02-10, 12:22 AM
Runs fine on my three GTX 580s with 3 GPU AFR2 SLI.

jlippo
12-02-10, 04:40 AM
You were in Halcyon ? What year was this. Didnt you guys do some crack intros as well ? That name rings a bell and loudly.
I joined just after 42 during fall of 1994.

Here's a list of all productions we made, there's also download links, videos and DVD.
http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=77

There were couple of 'noparty' intros. ;)

turdhat
12-02-10, 08:01 AM
I joined just after 42 during fall of 1994.

Here's a list of all productions we made, there's also download links, videos and DVD.
http://www.pouet.net/groups.php?which=77

There were couple of 'noparty' intros. ;)

ahh yes.. no party releases. heh. I will check them out. Posting from ps3. daMn comp got fake anti virus virus somehow.....arghhhhh trying to clean insafe mode. praying....

jlippo
12-02-10, 08:34 AM
ahh yes.. no party releases. heh. I will check them out. Posting from ps3. daMn comp got fake anti virus virus somehow.....arghhhhh trying to clean insafe mode. praying....
Some of the intros used form of .exe compression which is similar to what some virus use.
If nothing else works check the DVD.

Quick420
12-02-10, 08:43 AM

You have it backwards,nvidia has always had good opengl,ati's was never up to snuff.As far back as I can remember(gf4600)for example.

XDanger
12-02-10, 01:00 PM
Runs fine on my three GTX 580s with 3 GPU AFR2 SLI.

lol no ****.

stncttr908
12-02-10, 02:26 PM
lol no ****.
LOL I was about to say "I ****ing hope so..."