PDA

View Full Version : Invidia or Asus graphics card?

MattDee
12-01-10, 03:55 PM
I am trying to decide between the Nvidia GTX 460 or Asus GeForce GTX 460 GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card. Are they basically the same card, only one is the "name brand" Nvidia and one is a third party maker with an Nvidia chip?

I can get the 1 GB Asus card for the same money as the 768 MB Nvidia card. Is it worth losing the space to get the name brand, or should we go for the larger Asus card? Our screen resolution is 1440 x 900, so I don't even know if the extra space is needed.

For the same money, which card would you buy?

Thanks,
Dee

ragejg
12-01-10, 04:29 PM
Welcome to nV News, MattDee, we hope you enjoy your stay. :)

By space you mean memory... interesting... I don't know that many people out there would really know what you mean by "space".

Get the 1gb version.

http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/4279/gf1xxfamily.jpg

As you can see, the 1gb version has some superiorities, so if both are the same price, the choice is simple.

MattDee
12-01-10, 04:37 PM
Oh, yes, by space I meant memory. My ignorance is showing.....;)

So you'd go for more memory over the name brand of Nvidia, even given our screen resolution? Thanks!

Viral
12-01-10, 05:17 PM
Do Nvidia sell reference cards? I wasn't aware there were any pure Nvidia cards out there.

The choice in your situation is simple, get the 1GB card. It's faster in other ways as well as just having more memory.

Besides that, ASUS aren't exactly a non-name brand. You can trust an ASUS GTX460 to be just as high in quality if not better than a Nvidia reference GTX 460 (if they do retail?). My guess would be that they probably have a longer warranty too.

ragejg
12-01-10, 05:29 PM
Do Nvidia sell reference cards? I wasn't aware there were any pure Nvidia cards out there.

Yeah, that's old news, they started doing that a couple months ago.

MattDee
12-01-10, 05:37 PM
Here is the "Nvidia" card I was talking about:

ttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8ATWC/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's the same price as the Asus 1 GB......thanks so much for your help!

Dee

ragejg
12-01-10, 06:41 PM
Here is the "Nvidia" card I was talking about:

ttp://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003V8ATWC/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's the same price as the Asus 1 GB......thanks so much for your help!

Dee

That's an EVGA card, not NVIDIA.

NVIDIA does sell retail cards now, however.

MattDee
12-01-10, 11:08 PM
O.K., so I'm getting the Asus....but I'm still confused about which card is the actual Nvidia card.

Here's a link to the original card we picked out from Nvidia's website....but when you click on "compare and buy," it brings up a list of cards, all of which look like they're third party cards.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gtx-460-us.html

At any rate.....thanks for the heads up on the Asus card.

Dee

ragejg
12-01-10, 11:37 PM
All of these cards use NVIDIA GPUs... Asus and EVGA are vendors of NVIDIA's GPU technologies.

But NVIDIA themselves have entered the retail space with cards branded with their company name, like so:

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/128624476768eVVtgMVR_1_1_l.jpg

ragejg
12-01-10, 11:40 PM
I looked at that NVIDIA website link and found it interesting that they didn't list themselves for the GTX 460, which was the card that they partnered with Best Buy on for the holiday season if I remember correctly. I wonder if the deal went sour or something?

MattDee
12-02-10, 07:46 AM
Interestingly, it was Best Buy where I found the Asus. Unfortunately, when I tried to order it, it was out of stock. I did find, I think, the Nvidia card there, but it is $100 more than the Asus sale price.

So....maybe I'll keep looking for another Asus, PNY, or EVGA. I just want to be sure...as long as they all say "GTX460 1 GB GDDR5 PCI-Express" they will all work? All the ports are the same, etc? I have no idea which one I'll end up with now.....I know I want a 460, but it depends what deals I can find. Anyone know of any?

Dee

MattDee
12-02-10, 08:10 AM
O.K......I think I found a couple. Would they work? Would they be as good as the Asus? Best Buy has no idea if they'll get any more Asus in online and every store is sold out. I guess b/c of the cheap price of $178.

Anway, here a Zotac and an EVGA:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=4616153644955596377&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=zotec+460+&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-01G-P3-1366-TR/dp/B004DKWLB4/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291299780&sr=8-1-fkmr1

Any opinions as to which might be better? They are basically the same price, but the EVGA has a $20 rebate. I appreciate your help. I know nothing about this stuff....trying to buy one for my almost 15 year old son for Christmas.

Dee

wheeljack12
12-04-10, 11:55 PM
the only main difference in the manufacturer's other than price is the warranty. Zotac I know has lifetime warranties on all graphics products. EVGA limits their lower level graphic products warranty I think to 2 or 3 years whereas their high end cards are lifetime. PNY I know is lifetime warranty. Lifetime warranty means as long as you own the card and are living, they will fix or replace the defective card for you. The other companies are ususally 2-3 years warranty. I don't know nvidia's warranty though. here is the fastest of the gtx 460's. EVGA's superclocked 460 external exhaust. This one comes with a lifetime warranty upon online registration and can be ordered directly from evga itself. It's $189, maybe a little higher but it's the best bang for the buck. just compare it's specs to ragejg's table. His table is the reference or what you should clock your card at according to nviidia. some companies push more out the card in their manufacturing but maintain the same quality. EVGA direct sales also have the rebate and offer free US shipping.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-1373-AR