PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty series will never have subscription based MP

ViN86
12-01-10, 05:02 PM
Thank God. Otherwise it would start a downward spiral for FPS games on PC. Look at what MW2's $60 price tag did. Practically all new big name games are $60.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/11/24/activision-will-never-ever-charge-for-call-of-duty-multiplayer/

A few months back, when asked what his one wish would be for his company, Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotick said “I would have Call of Duty be an online subscription service tomorrow,” which understandably had gamers worried that Call of Duty’s multiplayer modes might come with an added monthly fee in future. Activision have spoken out today to firmly put an end to those rumours.
Speaking to IndustryGamers, Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg said “are we going to be charging for multiplayer? The answer is no,” adding that “the experience you have out of the box, connecting with the online community to play Call of Duty is absolutely integral to the experience and we’ll never charge for that. It’s not going to be something we’ll attempt to monetize; it’s part of the package.”

He continues, saying “there are certainly a lot of behavioral shifts towards long-standing online relationships… But at the end of the day, all I’m trying to get across is I can unequivocally say we will never, ever charge for the multiplayer.”

It would be hard for Activision to deny it more strongly than that. For more Call of Duty multiplayer goodness, check out our pick of the funniest Call of Duty: Black Ops kills, and a guide to the best killing spots in Call of Duty: Black Op’s many varied maps.

mailman2
12-01-10, 07:28 PM
I ended up getting deals on pre-orders though and got both MOH and COD BO for $40 some bucks each.

ViN86
12-01-10, 08:18 PM
Yea I picked up BO for $45, but MOH was $60 (retail) and MW2 is still $60!

t3hl33td4rg0n
12-01-10, 09:21 PM
Guess I was right. Once one publisher broke the ice, others will follow because they can get away with it.

ViN86
12-01-10, 10:19 PM
No, they said COD will NEVER be subscription based.

t3hl33td4rg0n
12-01-10, 10:36 PM

I was talking about $60 PC games :P

mailman2
12-02-10, 12:05 AM
I was talking about $60 PC games :P

yea, but there are still deals and you can get PC games pre-order for $40 ish. I picked up NFS HP from g2play.net for $23 the week it came out. Seriously... if you know where to look PC games aren't necessarily going to cost you $60... unlike console games those are pretty much $60 everywhere.

methimpikehoses
12-02-10, 12:07 AM

never say never

/duke3d

t3hl33td4rg0n
12-02-10, 01:17 AM
yea, but there are still deals and you can get PC games pre-order for $40 ish. I picked up NFS HP from g2play.net for $23 the week it came out. Seriously... if you know where to look PC games aren't necessarily going to cost you $60... unlike console games those are pretty much $60 everywhere.

Despite that, standard issue PC games should not cost $60 for any reason. Collectible and limited editions, fine, but there is no reason for the sudden $10 hike. And seeing how this is came from ubisoft and activision, its nothing more than gouging.

LydianKnight
12-02-10, 07:06 AM
never say never

/duke3d

:lol2: true story

Crow_Nest
12-02-10, 08:52 AM

And robert bowling said MW2's multiplayer mode will be the same as it always was.

Oh wait, nevermind...

ViN86
12-02-10, 08:58 AM
Ok, well at least the next COD release won't have subscription-based MP. :o

ST:DS9
12-04-10, 11:54 PM
Despite that, standard issue PC games should not cost $60 for any reason. Collectible and limited editions, fine, but there is no reason for the sudden $10 hike. And seeing how this is came from ubisoft and activision, its nothing more than gouging.

When would it be appropriate to start raising the price for games? Games were $50 in 1990, when I started to play PC games, using inflation that is nearly $82 now. Despite inflation, the price of games have stayed the same, which in actuality the price of games have actually gone down. You do realize that if the price of games increased with inflation we would be paying $82 USD for a game? People can't be so naive to actually believe that games won't go up in price.

ViN86
12-05-10, 12:03 AM
Maybe it's the fact that gamers feel like they're paying more for less. And by less I'm referring to these consolized and unoptimized PC games that the majority of studios don't seem to mind putting out. Case in point: black ops.

mailman2
12-05-10, 12:07 AM
Maybe it's the fact that gamers feel like they're paying more for less. And by less I'm referring to these consolized and unoptimized PC games that the majority of studios don't seem to mind putting out. Case in point: black ops.

It does keep us from having to upgrade our hardware though....