PDA

View Full Version : question about these cards


db85usa
07-31-03, 11:52 PM
my motherboard supports up to AGP 4X

so do you guys have any idea what card is the best 4x out there?

i need a good card not like an ultimate video card... just something that is good for today's technology lol

ive been looking at the ati radeon 9200 (non-pro) 128mb and the geforcefx 5200 128mb

SH64
08-01-03, 12:01 AM
GeForce Ti4200

LiquidX
08-01-03, 12:48 AM
I second the Ti line of cards.

CaptNKILL
08-01-03, 02:13 AM
I third it

StealthHawk
08-01-03, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by db85usa
my motherboard supports up to AGP 4X

so do you guys have any idea what card is the best 4x out there?

i need a good card not like an ultimate video card... just something that is good for today's technology lol

ive been looking at the ati radeon 9200 (non-pro) 128mb and the geforcefx 5200 128mb

AGP 8x cards work in AGP 4x slots, in case you didn't know that. So there is no physical need for you to look for a 4x AGP card.

Ady
08-01-03, 04:07 AM
Yeah don't let anything stop you from getting a 8x AGP card. It will just run at 4x AGP is all, you won't see any difference either. It will also be a bonus for when you upgrade your mobo.

db85usa
08-01-03, 04:05 PM
oh ok... i thought if you had agp 4x you couldnt put an 8x card in it...

well then i guess ill look for a decent 8x card for atleast $120-$200

db85usa
08-01-03, 04:09 PM
im getting tempted to get the 128mb ati radeon 9200 AGP 8X for $130 at my best buy store....

but I think I wanna go higher in the price range...

what do you guys think is the next best card?

db85usa
08-01-03, 04:13 PM
do you guys think that the geforcefx 5200 (non-ultra) is an ok card?

will it last long?

will it run new games OK with a p3 600 256mb of rambus at 800mhz?

I dont wanna go all out and spend my entire pocket on a top knotch video card considering i dont have a top knotch computer lol.

its either that or the 64mb ati radeon 9000 (non-pro)

digitalwanderer
08-01-03, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by db85usa
oh ok... i thought if you had agp 4x you couldnt put an 8x card in it...

well then i guess ill look for a decent 8x card for atleast $120-$200
Check NewEgg for either a 9500 Pro or 9700np for that pricerange. :)

ragejg
08-01-03, 05:42 PM
Those cards are great for your pricerange, and may survive migration to your next system...

As would a 128mb FX5600 with quick ram for around $140
...and a 5600U for 30-50 more...

If you want the card to go with the system when you might oughtta get the card that "peaks out" that style of system... a gf3, a radeon 8500/9100, even a GF2ti/GF4mx if you wanna just play dx7 games...

-=DVS=-
08-01-03, 06:06 PM
Everything with low number and without NO PRO NO ULTRA is very slow ;)

StealthHawk
08-01-03, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by db85usa
do you guys think that the geforcefx 5200 (non-ultra) is an ok card?

will it last long?

will it run new games OK with a p3 600 256mb of rambus at 800mhz?

I dont wanna go all out and spend my entire pocket on a top knotch video card considering i dont have a top knotch computer lol.

its either that or the 64mb ati radeon 9000 (non-pro)

What video card do you have right now?

What new games in particular are you referring to? Do you want to run them at max details, or just get them playable, and you are willing to turn down details.

db85usa
08-03-03, 07:33 PM
i play quake engine games... right now im using a 64mb geforce4 mx420.

i just wanna turn up the knotch a bit with the gaming experience... but not too high.

i wanna go with a great budget card... i almost bought the fx5200 non-ultra yesterday but then next to it i saw the ati radeon 9200 for $120 when the fx5200 was $100

surfhurleydude
08-03-03, 07:37 PM
Radeon 9600 Pro. You will not regret it :)

ragejg
08-03-03, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
Everything with low number and without NO PRO NO ULTRA is very slow ;)

gf3 is a lower number, and there is no pro or ultra attached to the name... I'd have to contest that it's still a fast card... I have a ti500, a ti200 and a GF3 classic. They're still plenty quick when optimized properly... IMO. :)